Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 11:33 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,402,539 times

Advertisements

Do any of you think it might be a good idea to put up a "Sticky" with phone numbers for police.. fire.. highway.. Red Cross etc.?? Also where to find emergency housing ..evacuation notices...or just a place to let everyone know where you are.???
Let me know and I'll put it up...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 04:40 PM

60 posts, read 180,480 times
I think so...I just moved here 3 months ago and am CLUELESS to flooding. I'm trying to educate myself as much as possible, but still have so many questions.
We live in Creek side near Osgood Hornbachers....should I move things from the lower level of my home (halfway below ground level) to the upstairs?
What is the evacuation route from here? I wanted to go to Sam's Club to buy water/batteries and 45th was closed...so spent twice as much at the local store.
Thanks for any help, tips!
~Blue Sky~

Old 03-27-2009, 04:44 PM

97 posts, read 353,240 times
To be honest, I don't think a lot of people from Fargo visit this forum. A handful, sure, but not many. There are other sites and information outlets that are providing this info.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:09 PM

405 posts, read 1,335,291 times
Blue Sky:
45th has always been a problem with water.. so is 32nd and 13th. I would recommend looking at elevation maps online and seeing where you sit according to the flood plain. I have friends that live out near you but have not heard the outcome out there.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudy Rose View Post
Do any of you think it might be a good idea to put up a "Sticky" with phone numbers for police.. fire.. highway.. Red Cross etc.?? Also where to find emergency housing ..evacuation notices...or just a place to let everyone know where you are.???
Let me know and I'll put it up...

It seriously can't hurt anything. There were people blogging on my thread who are directly involved. And I am willing to bed that there are people from all across this fine country looking at this ND forum to check up on things and see what they can do to help. I encourage your idea and will help if need be!

Old 03-27-2009, 07:16 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,402,539 times
OK.. I'll "stick this post and any local folks could maybe post important info.. Hope it will be of some small help

Old 03-27-2009, 11:00 PM

The American Red Cross has opened a shelter at the Fargo South Campus II. The address is 1305 9th Avenue S. The F-M Humane Society is planning to open an emergency animal shelter at the Schollander Pavilion at the Red River Valley fairgrounds. In Moorhead, the Red Cross Shelter is at Moorhead High School, 2300 4th Avenue South. For help, call the relocation hotline at 218-477-4747 or the Clay County Emergency Operations Center at 701-299-7768.

Donate to American Red Cross:
https://american.redcross.org/site/D...CO_NewsArticle

ND Horse Park- Taking in horses that are flood victims:
Home

"During the storm" tips:
ND Department of Emergency Services: Flood Preparedness : During the Flood

"After the flood" tips:
ND Department of Emergency Services: Flood Preparedness : After the Flood

Red Cross in Bismarck area:
You can also contact the West Dakota Red Cross if you need assistance, or if you'd like to make a donation or volunteer your time. Call 701-223-6700 or visit the website at http://www.ndredcross.org/.

The City of Fargo has a Web Cam setup in the Fargo High Rise at 101 2nd
St South looking south, with the Island Park **** on the right side of the
frame:
http://www.cityoffargo.com/Flood09/FloodWatchWebCam.asp...

Downtown Fargo Flood Cam:
http://www.inforum.com/pages/floodcam

WDAY Camera:
http://www.wday.com/news/index.cfm?id=9270

NDSU "before/during/after" tips and techniques:
NDSU Flood Information

FEMA Homepage:
FEMA: Flood

Old 03-28-2009, 02:00 PM

625 posts, read 1,882,443 times
I'd sure at least move anything that's irreplaceable, such as pictures & mementos to a higher level. There was bad flooding in that area last time, but it was all an empty field back then.
Hopefully as it was built up, the developers planned for this. I'd rather be safe than sorry if it was me & would move whatever I could. You get the overland flooding (from the melting snow on the fields), rather than river water.

If the lift stations go out or have other problems you may also get a wet lower level, so yeh, I'd move whatever I could. Like some friends here that live along the river & have a walkout basement said this morning...They'd rather haul dry stuff upstairs now than maybe wet stuff out to the curb later.

Last edited by 3-Oaks; 03-28-2009 at 02:34 PM..

Old 03-28-2009, 02:31 PM

WDAY has set up a page of important links...flood maps, evacuation plans, City, County & State websites, and tons of other info.
WDAY - WDAY TV Links (http://www.wday.com/links/?page=tv - broken link)

To donate to the Salvation Army, please call or email: Designate for 'North Dakota Floods' or 'Fargo Floods'

800-SAL-ARMY

https://secure.salvationarmy.org/donations.nsf/donate?openform&t=US_USC*USE*USS*USW

It seems the Salvation Army is doing most of the meals for volunteers & evacuees (here in Valley City it is ALL the meals), while the Red Cross is taking care of setting up shelters, putting together cleanup kits, etc.

The fairgrounds in West Fargo is taking small pets.

Horses, pets, and other livestock, can be brought to the Wintershow Building here in Valley City. We are 45 minutes west of Fargo.
Both places ask that you call ahead, first.

There are several shelters set up here in Valley City, too for people. Contact the Red Cross for info.

The Fargo Forum has started a networking site for any & all info as well as pics, etc.
Red River Flood 2009 (http://flood.inforum.com - broken link)

Old 03-28-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischer_girl View Post
Blue Sky:
45th has always been a problem with water.. so is 32nd and 13th. I would recommend looking at elevation maps online and seeing where you sit according to the flood plain. I have friends that live out near you but have not heard the outcome out there.

I believe 45th was also one of the roads dedicated to trucks working on sandbagging & dikebuilding projects. I think those traffic restrictions were lifted this AM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota