Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2009, 03:32 PM

4 posts, read 11,178 times

Advertisements

Do you think the oil boom is done with. Was it like this last year or the year before. What should my husband and I do? How R things looking for the spring and summer of 09 in north dakota? How are things going to be in williston north dakota? Should we be worried right now because my husband is barely working 53 to 70 hours for each pay period. we have to pay high rent and stuff in williston because everything else is taken and all the houses that r for sale r way to high to buy. we r barely making bills each month. We have to feed our children and stuff and buy clothing for them to. This is starting to really suck and worry me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 06:05 AM

139 posts, read 470,571 times
When I left Dickinson in early '08 the oil boom there was in full swing. I hear a lot of oil workers in the Williston area are/were slowly losing hours and even the ones that are still working steadily are heading heading to Minot, or to Glendive and Sidney, MT (and all points in-between) and just taking the long commutes when weighing in available and more affordable housing.

In any case, I hope everything works out for you and your family.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:23 PM

979 posts, read 3,669,108 times
Here are the latest unemployment figures for North Dakota...It appears Williams country (Williston) is doing much better than the rest of the state, with the exception of Slope county in South West, ND.
http://www.ndworkforceintelligence.com/admin/gsipub/htmlarea/uploads/lmi_maplauscntyunemprate200902.pdf (broken link)

wow...Ranson and Sargent counties are not doing too well...I wonder if they are impacted by the Bobcat plant in Gwinner????

Last edited by Roloff1976; 04-21-2009 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 04-22-2009, 11:44 AM

979 posts, read 3,669,108 times
The new numbers are out for March (the latest)...Willaims County (williston) still hasn't dried up and blown away...they still have the 2nd lowest unemployment in the state. Not bad numbers considering this was the middle of winter...and the seasonal/market slowdown in the oil patch.

http://www.ndworkforceintelligence.com/admin/gsipub/htmlarea/uploads/lmi_maplauscntyunemprate200903.pdf (broken link)

Old 04-23-2009, 02:28 PM

246 posts, read 1,007,054 times
With the economy the way it is right now, there isn't the demand for high dollar oil. They got plenty of the stuff right now floating around in the ocean and if they put that on the market, prices would crash.

If it was me in your shoes, I would sit down and talk with my spouse openingly about what we would do if the job goes away. Do we have enough saved up to ride it out (however long that could be, could be awhile). If not (as it sounds), he should give serious consideration into looking for work elsewhere. Not being able to afford a house though may be a blessing in disguise if the market tanks in Williston. You don't want to be like those in CA with a home that you owe significantly more than its worth, and on top of that, have no job either.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:53 PM

4 posts, read 11,178 times
yeah my husband and I talked and hes gonna find a second job just until things pick up. Hes getting worried because just in one week weatherford in williston laid off 17 people already. Hes still working there and their going down to two laydown crews only. His boss said hes on one of them and he doesnt have anything to worry about because they said my husband is one of the best workers there. He also has his CDL and there arent many at weatherford. they r kinda short right now on CDL drivers but they cant do anything because hiring freeze. He also found out that weatherford pulled bonuses completely no more bonuses for weatherford people. My husbands getting like 40 to 50 hours a week. I hear that is good for the way things r going right now with the oil field. we are making by but he has to get another job so we can clothes our 4 kids that grow really fast and support my spending habbit, my husband says. I dont got a spending habbit, i just like to buy a cute purse or shoes. People laughed at us, when we said hes getting a second job because we are doing ok just with weatherford. I would get a job but between taking care of 4 kids and going to school and keeping up the house and doing other things. The head guy said he had nothing to worry about so I took some money and went to Dks and got **** faced. we're doing pretty good right now. weatherford is an awesome place to work. my husband is very happy to be with them. he dont care if it slows down a little because he loves his work and who he works with. He also feels really safe with weatherford to right now because they always do drug test and dont put up with drunk people coming to work. Them fire them right on the spot if they do that. He doesnt have to worry about a retard killing him for doing stupid stuff and leave me behind to support 4 kids by myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota