U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 09:05 PM

7 posts, read 7,644 times
howdy tikkytak! am close to finishing up my background with BNSF (just completing my physical) My class is tentatively scheduled for june 13th. So yes I def will be needing a place(1bd or studio), it would be just for myself and I have no pets. If you do come across something please feel free to pm if you wish or just post here is fine. I appreciate your help thank ya!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 760 times
Are there any rental houses in Minot? I need a rental. I will be moving there. What is this place like. I am in Florida, and I have lived in Washington, DC.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:09 AM

2 posts, read 1,389 times
Hello everyone. I am considering minot nd for employment. I have seen several posts about it. What can i realistically expect if i decide to relocate there. It would be just me at first and then relocate my wife and two boys in the summer.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:10 AM

2 posts, read 1,389 times
Also how are the schools in minot ie elementary schools?

Old 11-25-2011, 12:39 AM

153 posts, read 228,678 times
There is virtually no housing. There was a major flood that kicked 4k people out of their homes, apartments, condos etc....you will most likely not find a place to live unless you have one lined up before you get here. There is a high demand for housing right now due to the flood, and the influx of oilfield workers. I don't know what your financial situation is like, but if shelling out a couple grand for a 60 year old house to rent is ok for you then you may be, MAY BE lucky to find a place. When I mean no housing I don't mean nothing that would be nice to live in, I mean there's absolutely nothing available pretty much. The jobs are here, the housing is not. The price to purchase a house has skyrocketed, your looking at spending a quarter mill at the least for a new house. If you have a camper or something to bring with you may have a fighting chance to survive the winter, MAY...hehe It's down right nasty up here in the winter and I highly advise you to do some research and if you are coming to have housing lined up. Even if you decide to just swing up for a few days to look around, you won't find a hotel that has a room open, you will have to look towards bismarck and there again you will be lucky to find vacancy. No joke on the housing situation, and no joke on the winters, they are brutal if your not born and raised here. Good luck, do some research and don't make any crazy decisions that will jeopardize your life during the winter due to housing. Schools seem to be fine, nothing incredible, but they get the job done.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:38 AM

454 posts, read 480,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerJoker View Post
There is virtually no housing. There was a major flood that kicked 4k people out of their homes, apartments, condos etc....you will most likely not find a place to live unless you have one lined up before you get here. There is a high demand for housing right now due to the flood, and the influx of oilfield workers. I don't know what your financial situation is like, but if shelling out a couple grand for a 60 year old house to rent is ok for you then you may be, MAY BE lucky to find a place. When I mean no housing I don't mean nothing that would be nice to live in, I mean there's absolutely nothing available pretty much. The jobs are here, the housing is not. The price to purchase a house has skyrocketed, your looking at spending a quarter mill at the least for a new house. If you have a camper or something to bring with you may have a fighting chance to survive the winter, MAY...hehe It's down right nasty up here in the winter and I highly advise you to do some research and if you are coming to have housing lined up. Even if you decide to just swing up for a few days to look around, you won't find a hotel that has a room open, you will have to look towards bismarck and there again you will be lucky to find vacancy. No joke on the housing situation, and no joke on the winters, they are brutal if your not born and raised here. Good luck, do some research and don't make any crazy decisions that will jeopardize your life during the winter due to housing. Schools seem to be fine, nothing incredible, but they get the job done.
Everything PokerJoker posted about Minot is very true, the housing situation is dire. I copied this from one of my friends facebook wall posts:
Help! sleeping room needed. A really nice man from SD came to Minot and got a job at the Energy Park. He is pounding the pavemnet looking for a room to sleep in at night. He has gone to motels, realtors, wherever he can think of and there is nothing. He is living in his car!! as there is no where else to stay. Does anyone know of a room for rent or any contacts for me to pass along to him. I said I would try to help him.

People responded back that they would like to help, but since no one really knows this man, they are hesitant to take him into their home. It's a reality in Minot right now - Please don't come unless your housing is lined up first.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:30 AM

8,256 posts, read 6,654,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsk/Deutsch/Polska View Post
Everything PokerJoker posted about Minot is very true, the housing situation is dire. I copied this from one of my friends facebook wall posts:
Help! sleeping room needed. A really nice man from SD came to Minot and got a job at the Energy Park. He is pounding the pavemnet looking for a room to sleep in at night. He has gone to motels, realtors, wherever he can think of and there is nothing. He is living in his car!! as there is no where else to stay. Does anyone know of a room for rent or any contacts for me to pass along to him. I said I would try to help him.

People responded back that they would like to help, but since no one really knows this man, they are hesitant to take him into their home. It's a reality in Minot right now - Please don't come unless your housing is lined up first.
Sad but true! Does anyone know how the housing situation is North of Minot, or into Devils Lake? Maybe suggest to your facebook friend that he pay for his own background check, if he could prove he isn't a criminal, maybe someone that needs the extra would let him sleep in a spare room or couch. Or, have him go to a church, talk to a pastor/priest. Maybe there are some folks that want a renter, but just need to be relieved of worry. It might help. So hate to hear these stories.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:54 AM

454 posts, read 480,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Sad but true! Does anyone know how the housing situation is North of Minot, or into Devils Lake? Maybe suggest to your facebook friend that he pay for his own background check, if he could prove he isn't a criminal, maybe someone that needs the extra would let him sleep in a spare room or couch. Or, have him go to a church, talk to a pastor/priest. Maybe there are some folks that want a renter, but just need to be relieved of worry. It might help. So hate to hear these stories.
I have heard that everything to the north, south, west and east of Minot in a 50 + radius of Minot is full or close to getting full. After the flood this summer in Minot, people who were waiting for their FEMA trailers got calls from FEMA reps suggesting they consider relocation as far away as the Twin Cities because the wait is so long to get a FEMA trailer and as we all know, there is nothing in Minot itself.

I will message her and see if he found a place other than his car. The background check is a good idea, that may calm some fears of those who may be willing to take him in but are nervous of having a stranger in their home.

At least we have had warm weather for the last few days , but it isn't going to last .

Old 11-26-2011, 07:40 AM

8,256 posts, read 6,654,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsk/Deutsch/Polska View Post
I have heard that everything to the north, south, west and east of Minot in a 50 + radius of Minot is full or close to getting full. After the flood this summer in Minot, people who were waiting for their FEMA trailers got calls from FEMA reps suggesting they consider relocation as far away as the Twin Cities because the wait is so long to get a FEMA trailer and as we all know, there is nothing in Minot itself.

I will message her and see if he found a place other than his car. The background check is a good idea, that may calm some fears of those who may be willing to take him in but are nervous of having a stranger in their home.

At least we have had warm weather for the last few days , but it isn't going to last .
The lack of housing is going to be a major issue for awhile I would guess. In Grand Forks after 97 flood, we had many displaced folks, but not near the numbers that I hear Minot has had. Add to that the boom situation re; no housing. It is such a hard situation, especially w/ holidays coming, ppl feel the need to be close to home. I do hope those folks that had to relocate after the flood there are able to recover somehow. The fema trailer situation here was not a good one, hard to live in a trailer after such a loss, re flooding. I certainly hope things will go well there. Maybe w/ the boom, there are folks that got housing/ jobs earlier. Praying for recovery there.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:04 AM

84 posts, read 110,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopefish View Post
I've lived in Minot now for about 4 years, and am from the Bottineau area which is about 80 miles north of Minot. As far as weather goes, I'm going to guess you will be in for a rude awakening when you experience your first winter here. It can get pretty cold, and the winter driving is definitely something you have to adjust to. Many people also have "block heaters" installed in their cars, which basically warm your car's engine overnight so it will start normally the next morning. It's pretty common to see people's vehicles plugged in like a Christmas tree as you drive by homes. Also, it's pretty much essential that you warm up your car before driving in the winter, unless you have a heated garage which should keep it fine.

As far as things to do, the Dakota Square Mall in Minot is the number one place to go for shopping. Pretty much all the basic stores (JC Penny, Sears, Target, Old Navy, Aeropostale, Hot Topic, American Eagle, etc.) are located there and it's a nice, clean mall that's easy to navigate. I actually work in the mall at GameStop, so I can attest to the friendliness of the mall employees.

Other shopping includes Super Walmart, Kmart, and other small local businesses in downtown Minot. There's plenty of good restaurants around, including the staple fast food places like McDonald's and Burger King. The actor Josh Duhamel (Las Vegas, Transformers) actually owns a restaurant here since he's from Minot originally.

For other activities, a lot of people spend their summer days at Lake Sacagawea, which is southwest of Minot, and Lake Metigoshe which is north of Minot near Bottineau. It's not exactly the ocean, but there are beaches there where you can sun bathe and go swimming at. The water is clean and cool. Also, if you're into outdoor activities at all, many people hunt, fish, and skii in the winter. The Bottineau winter park is pretty popular for skiiers and they rent equipment for beginners.

On the jobs front, I'm not too sure what to suggest, but like others have said, I would try Trinity Hospital and the Dakota Boys Ranch which is near Burlington, west of town. It's maybe a 20 minute drive from Minot to get to the Boys Ranch.

Hope that helps a little. If you have any other questions, please ask and I'll try to tell you what I know.
Just wanted to add that this is probably the most informative post I've seen so far with regards to living in Minot, ND or anywhere in ND for that matter. I used to live in Bottineau (on the farm in the Turtle Mtns) and had a great time as a kid. If you like the outdoors then you will love it. Yes the winters get cold but so do the summers just not as long as say the central midwest or even better the southwest.

Saying your hubby is in the AF you guys will be gone by the time you start to feel at home and then you may niss some aspects and sme not so much.

Good Luck and Stay Positive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota