Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2009, 08:31 PM

122 posts, read 426,450 times

Advertisements

Well circumstances have taken the usual "bump" and now we're looking at getting our ducks in a row much sooner than anticipated.

Our lease on the house here is up mid November, but due to circumstances that the landlord is facing we might be able to get out of the lease sooner.

Now we're wondering if October or November is too late to consider ripping our roots out here and heading east???? The mobile we're buying is set on the property - but not connected to utilities yet; this sudden change would mean that we don't have time to move the mobile - just accept where it is. But is the weather going to be rough for all that?????

I guess what I'm asking is "when does fall end and WINTER begin?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 09:08 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,972,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanciesmom View Post
I guess what I'm asking is "when does fall end and WINTER begin?"
Hi again....

Well since I am in the weather business...I will give you my thoughts after living and forecasting for eastern ND since 1998.

It really does vary greatly from year to year. That period right around Halloween can be a bit iffy at times....most years you can 45 to 55 in the late October period for high temps with lows 20s and 30s. By mid November....the averages fall to highs 30-35 and lows 15-20 by Nov 15th.

But that time of year is known for great variability.
For Fargo...( I dont have Jamestown daily data but the differences are not great).

Oct 31 2005 high 52/low 33
Oct 31 2006 high 29/low 14 (4 inch snow depth)
Oct 31 2007 high 50/low 28
Oct 31 2008 high 54/low 30

I recall the 2006 Halloween pulling our young son in his wagon around the neighborhood through slushy snow and it being quite cold. But as you can see through Oct 31 weather is usually pleasant enough for a move.

One area that is more prone to mid to late October snows is the high plains of NE Wyoming and W SD into W ND.

As you get into mid November....say by Veterans Day...you will likely have had some snow....maybe a snowcover by then. But most consistent snow cover waits til Thanskgiving and then lasts through March.

So in answer to your questions....for Oct into early Nov....you would generally be ok and not be hit with too cold weather. But I would for sure have things wrapped up by Thanksgiving at the latest as anytime after that it can be below zero.

In conclusion...from my perspective fall ends Nov 15 and winter begins Nov 15. I might add...it does appear that a moderate or even a strong El-Nino may be present this winter. If it does get into the strong category...this feature often gives our area a milder and drier than usual winter period. Though may tend to be rather cloudy.

Dan

Old 07-31-2009, 09:53 AM

122 posts, read 426,450 times
Thank you for all the wonderful information. WoW! It's looking like we may be having Thanksgiving in North Dakota. May have to pot up some of my plants and leave them with a friend for the winter and then come get them next Spring.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota