Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2010, 11:47 AM

14 posts, read 36,664 times

Advertisements

WE are considering a move to Bismarck for my husbands job. WE are looking for a family friendly place that is safe and has a good education system. We are also very interested in a good, fun, and competitive swim team for my children-who are very active in the sport. Is Bismarck a friendly city? Is it easy to meet stay at home moms? I have a toddler and we love to do play dates etc. I also am looking for a great gym with modern equipment and good classes. I would love for my children to be able to walk to school and play outside safely with friends. Also, what do folks do in the winter-is there a lot of cross country trail, skating etc? Or is it too cold to go outside?
The housing market looks different than other area I am researching. What would you say a family of 5 would have to spend to get a nice average home. Any help I could get would be wonderful, it is so hard to do research long distance. I have driven through once and I was pleasantly surprised with the looks of Bismarck-very clean, river, capital, etc.

Best,
Julie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 10:51 AM

246 posts, read 1,006,982 times
Bismarck is one of my favorite cities in North Dakota. I enjoy the fact that it has some nice scenery as well as more of the amenities that you may expect from a larger place. Also very safe, ND in general is like that.

As for schools and such, I haven't heard of a "bad" school there. You may want to locate the schools in the area, and visit there websites or give them a call.

As for finding a home for a family of 5, at least what I am seeing in Fargo, prices for a place in the 2300 sqft range, newer construction run about lower to mid $200k for a 4 - 5 brdm with 2.5+ bath.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:36 PM

14 posts, read 36,664 times
Thanks Cain-C'mon Bismarkers I need more response!!!

Old 03-03-2010, 04:57 PM

979 posts, read 3,668,943 times
Julie, Bismarck is a great town for families. Miles and miles of biking and walking paths through out the city that take you through parks along the river. Huge YMCA if your family is interested in taking various exercise classes or participating in activities with other children. Wonderful schools. Lots of new shopping and a nice varierty for a town of this size... and newer modern schools. All kinds of activities offered through the Bismarck-Mandan parks and recs dept. There are 2 small colleges...a 2year and a 4year. The city sits along the Missouri river, which has been developed with a mix of residential, parks and much also left as nature preserve. The towns are both built on plains and hills, so you can get some nice views. Housing is pretty much average I would think for the rest of the nation. Your average homes can go for 180-200 thousand and upwards of 300 on up for something really nice. You would want to check some of the local realtors, like Bianco realty, Century 21 or Alliance realty...probably the top 3. You would want to come and check it out first, to get a feel for the communities...but you will like Bismarck a lot.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:49 AM

246 posts, read 1,006,982 times
+1

Old 03-18-2010, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,883 times
Bismarck is a great place to live! and there are many stay at home moms around. There are several MOPS chapters at different churches, and there is also a local chapter of MOMS.

[Mod cut]

There are many fun activities for toddlers and lots to do outside even in winter. Where are you moving from?

Last edited by ElkHunter; 03-18-2010 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: New users cannot post other websites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota