U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What do REAL North Dakotans' drive
2 wheel drive vehicle with snow tires 1 6.67%
4 wheel drive (Forrester or small 4x4) snow tires or not 3 20.00%
4 wheel drive pickup truck with a camper on back 3 20.00%
Who needs snow tires, chains, or 4 wheel drive - snow doesn't scare me! 8 53.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-12-2009, 02:20 PM
 
122 posts, read 248,724 times
Reputation: 88
Question What do real North Dakotans' drive??

The day of our departure for North Dakota is getting closer and closer and of course there are more and more "issues" to deal with and I'm getting so anxious to get to heck out of here that I'm ready to go NOW!!!

Currently we own 2 elderly BMW's and our plan has been to sell them and get a wonderful 2003 Chrysler mini-van (with 4 dogs a van would come in handy). Our thought was since it was front wheel drive snow tires would be good.

Now we are told that we should look for a 4 wheel drive pickup with a camper shell - that's what everyone in North Dakota drives in the winter. Other cars are for summer only. I'm wondering now - what do you drive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-13-2009, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Minot, North Dakota
102 posts, read 233,538 times
Reputation: 72
I drive a 2003 Chevy Tracker, which is a small SUV vehicle with 4WD. Living in Minot, which is a pretty hilly city, I can't count how many times that 4WD has saved my butt in the winter. I've never used snow tires on any vehicle, but a mini-van or pickup should work fine for you and your family. You could even get by with the BMW's, as it's not exactly essential that you have a 4X4 vehicle in the winter. Easier to drive one, yes, but not essential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2009, 09:55 PM
 
1,014 posts, read 1,940,495 times
Reputation: 619
I drive a 95 Mercury Sable. Decent all-weather tires are generally good enough 97% of the time. The other 3% of the time, stay home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2009, 12:33 AM
 
Location: Fargo
27 posts, read 45,552 times
Reputation: 16
I live in Fargo, so not a lot of hills- I drive a Kia Spectra!! It has done me fine, you just have to learn how to handle stopping early- and staying home when it's dangerous!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2009, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Fargo, North Dakota
246 posts, read 677,769 times
Reputation: 118
If you need room but want 4wd etc., We have been happy so far with the 2006 Dodge Durango we have. just make sure and get the one with the MDI or whatever its called mode that shuts down the valves when not in use. We can get 23mph+ on the highway with the vehicle fully loaded down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2009, 02:25 PM
 
Location: AZ
1,046 posts, read 2,013,810 times
Reputation: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanciesmom View Post

Now we are told that we should look for a 4 wheel drive pickup with a camper shell - that's what everyone in North Dakota drives in the winter
Bahahahahah

Just get what you want. Don't believe anything said about North Dakota unless you heard it from a North Dakotan. Any car will do.

If you plan on living out in the country and commuting to a nearby town a 4wd may be a smart way to go. If for any reason you find yourself going in to a ditch/being stranded in the winter you can rest assured that people will stop to make sure you are aright and see if you need help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2009, 12:44 AM
 
Location: Fargo, ND
993 posts, read 610,569 times
Reputation: 303
I drive a Pontiac Grand Am, any front wheel drive car should be fine, even smaller cars. I did have a rear wheel drive pickup before my Grand Am and I will say that got a little interesting at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2009, 01:09 AM
 
231 posts, read 456,489 times
Reputation: 128
the only caveat that people who live here will tell you is that rear-wheel drive isn't the best choice. i haven't had problems with the rwd cars or trucks that i've driven, it depends on the ice situation and where you drive.

the key factor to winter driving is discretion. if the road looks bad, avoid it. your bigger concern is ensuring that your car can start when the temperature is below zero (fahrenheit) for several days straight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2009, 08:19 AM
 
7,963 posts, read 15,294,799 times
Reputation: 7947
My late uncle, who lived his entire life in North Dakota, drove 50,000+ miles per year for 30-some years in RWD sedans without snow tires. The times he couldn't get where he was going were pretty much limited to when the roads were closed anyway by blizzarding. I spent several years in Wyoming, and found the same thing true there most of the time. My front-wheel-drive car with traction control and all-season tires was more than adequate about 99% of the time. The other 1%, the roads were usually closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2009, 09:44 AM
 
1,014 posts, read 1,940,495 times
Reputation: 619
Yep. Realistically, unless your are travelling on roads that aren't plowed regularly, or are driving on icy hills, the benefits of a 4wd aren't seen that often. The bigger issue than the number of wheels under power (which is typically more of a big deal when accellerating) is stopping and seeing. Good tires, brakes, and good sense go a long way in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top