Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2007, 06:54 AM

645 posts, read 1,527,647 times

Advertisements

Hello,

A possible move to Jamestown ND may be a reality, and I have some questions for you fine ND folks. I see, and am very glad that ND strongly embraces the fishing and hunting tradition, and this is one strong reason why I am considering a move there.

First fishing questions:

I see Jamestown reservoir is right at your doorstep, and wonder if you must have a boat to fish it well? I currently do not have a boat, and will be shore bound for some time. Also, are there any Trout or Salmon in this reservoir, how about big Carp and Catfish?

Hunting:

When I lived in Utah, there was alot of BLM land where you could go target shoot/plink with your guns, and nobody bothered you. Are there wide open public places around Jamestown to do this? Pheasant hunting looks like a lot of fun, so is it possible to do it without having to know a farmer in order to hunt their property, or are their game land type areas open to the public with good hunting? I also love to dove and predator/varmint hunt... Are opportunities for this available around Jamestown?

Thank you very much for your help, it's appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 07:24 PM

158 posts, read 1,082,239 times
Default Hunting and fishing in ND

I am not an expert, I do occasional hunting and fishing. I am not sure about the boating part of the Jamestown resevoir, but It does have fish. Fishing can be done from alot of local lakes. I have luck with shore and ice fishing in all parts of the state. As far as hunting land, there is posted land, unposted land and Plots land. I haven't had much problem finding hunting land. You can hunt snow geese in the Jamestown area. Other hunting in the state is spring and fall turkey, grouse, partridge, pheasant, duck, goose, crow, varmint, white tail deer, mule deer, antelope, one time draw for elk, moose, big horn. Most common fish species (depending on part of state) walleye, salmon, northern pike (fun to spear), bluegill, sunfish, trout, carp (can also bow fish) and others. Paddlefish snagging is open for a short time. Check out ND's game and fish website to get good info.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:59 AM

Thanks a lot for the help snowblind9!

Old 05-10-2007, 05:50 AM

4 posts, read 11,689 times
Default hunting

Not sure about fishing in the nearby lake. I have been there but that was years ago.

Hunting wise, there are usually areas around where you can trap shoot but you may have to drive 1/2 hr or more to get to them. Ask around, someone is bound to know (or they'll find someone that does). Many people who come to ND and like to hunt and fish enjoy it. As far as hunting on certain land. Some farmers post a no hunting sign and others don't. You can pretty much go into the land that's not posted. Land that has a no hunting sign up you can sometimes go and ask the farmer if they mind that you hunt the land. Sometimes they post it because either 1)they want to hunt the land and 2)to keep large amounts of hunters out. You do run into the occasional unfriendly guy who doesn't want anyone on their land. While you can find a lot of game across the state, it's my belief that you can find more and better variety closer to the Missouri River.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:15 AM

394 posts, read 1,166,139 times
Good fishing and watersports on the Jamestown Dam (next to town). Pipestem Dam is about 5 miles North and is mainly fishing.

Check out www.fishingbuddy.com

Old 05-22-2007, 07:18 PM

Appreciate the help GFKND and Corbay... Thanks.

Last edited by Jay_F; 05-22-2007 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota