U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-18-2009, 08:57 PM

240 posts, read 1,056,413 times
If an authentic Mexican food restaurant isn't open in your area before I reach North Dakota, let me know if you are still there, and I'll pack a very large cooler and we can have our first Southern California support group meeting. ;0)

Old 03-18-2009, 09:03 PM

50 posts, read 115,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Joan View Post
If an authentic Mexican food restaurant isn't open in your area before I reach North Dakota, let me know if you are still there, and I'll pack a very large cooler and we can have our first Southern California support group meeting. ;0)
Excellent!

Old 03-22-2009, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,463 times
I have lived in Minot & when I was 7 we moved to a little town called Palermo North Dakota. I really miss this small town, so many memories & relatives. I wish I could go back, but my family is here in Minnesota now since 1966. PALERMO NORTH DAKOTA is a great place to live. GO BOBCATS GO!!!!!

Old 03-22-2009, 01:15 PM
JL

6,278 posts, read 6,281,632 times
My family emigrated from Asia to ND, specifically, Bismarck back in the mid 70s. I have fond memories about the time then. My family moved to Texas in 1980 and been here ever since. I have never been back to Bismarck, but just wonder at times how things have changed there.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:38 PM

6,298 posts, read 6,913,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamnohr View Post
I have lived in Minot & when I was 7 we moved to a little town called Palermo North Dakota. I really miss this small town, so many memories & relatives. I wish I could go back, but my family is here in Minnesota now since 1966. PALERMO NORTH DAKOTA is a great place to live. GO BOBCATS GO!!!!!
My mom's family is from the Sarles and Hansboro area. I just love it up there (except for the biting flying things!) Sarles in particular must have been a beautiful town in its heyday. (What the heck are all those stone pillars in the middle of town?)

Was hatched in Devil's Lake myself. No, that new ocean is not my fault.

Grew up mostly in central Montana, which ain't much different from ND -- real folks doin' real things. Been in SoCal for the past 25 years, tho, and I agree with the lawyer dude -- life may be fancier here, but it sure ain't better.

So yeah... I miss ND and MT. I want to live there again. You folks who don't like it there, feel free to take my place in California, where everything is shiny but fake.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:03 AM

2 posts, read 3,737 times
Ive lived in north dakota all my life its an awesome place to live. If you cant get used to the cold and hate being rural get out. The only extremely unfriendly and arrogant people ive seen here are the people moving from the citys. We are good friendly people up here.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:15 AM

407 posts, read 605,780 times
Moved to Arizona from a town 20 miles east of the ND/MN state line. North Dakota is the worst state in the USA, hands down. There's no culture and too many dumb hick conservatives trying to keep the state old while making some oil money on the side. I'm glad that I'm from MN and not ND. ND is the most depressing place on earth.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:04 AM

2,256 posts, read 1,558,624 times
This is just personal opinion, but I would never move to North Dakota. South Dakota is much better, and much warmer, even on the east side... living in east central north dakota and having to put up with those winters would drive me insane... heck the winters here in eastern SD take getting used to.. if I got fired from my job I'd move out to rapid, or scottsbluff, nebraska.. much, much milder winters because of the mountains to the west. In scottsbluff it's often in the 40's and 50's half of the winter. Here in eastern SD the cold just never gives up it's grip, and in ND it's much worse. Even now the northern tip along the canadian border is hard pressed to get warm.. although the western third of the state is probably warmer then the eastern third of south dakota in the winter on average.

Being a southern wisconsin native, waking up to seeing it below zero day after day took getting used too... though really it's not a big deal.. whether it's 15 above or 15 below I'm not gonna go outside.. it's gotta get up to 40+ outside to make it worthwhile, which is why rapid and scottsbluff are nice.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:01 AM

2 posts, read 3,257 times
I were born and raised in ND and left ND 44 years ago for Arizona. We left there after 18 months and moved to Washington State where we have been ever since. I love the west coast...all of it.
I would never move back to ND. I came from a small town which is more or less dead now.
We go back to visit now and then and enjoy it, but we're always glad to get home.

We didn't like the winters at all. In 1948 the National Guard had to open roads, drop hay bales for cattle from airplanes, etc., Once it's below zero it really doesn't matter what the temp is, it's cold. My Dad once got the car wedged between two 'drifts' (where the plow had opened the road) and had to crawl out the car window. The morning of the first snow one year, our pipes were all frozen in a trailer house we were living in while my husband attended NDSU. All the tires were flat on the car. I fell on my way to the bus, walking on ice against the wind. Worse than the below zero temps, the wind blows and blows and blows, even in the summer. I suppose that has an upside because at least the mosquitos are not feeding on your blood when the wind is strong enough to blow the hair off your head. As for the people, they are like any other place. Some are very friendly and helpful, some aren't.
There are good things, of course. On quiet summer days it is beautiful. The stark flatness of the north central area is beautiful at times...not scenic, but still there is a beauty in the amber waves of grain, the blue of the skies, and the mirages when you can see the buildings of a town sixteen miles away.
To each his/her own.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:30 PM

137 posts, read 280,880 times
North Dakota- One of the nicest and most underrated states in the country. The only legitimate negative I ever see people mention about ND is the cold winters and yes they are cold but most people are inside heated buildings 99% of the time in the winter and you just have to dress appropriately and you'll be perfectly comfortable. I absolutely love cold weather though so it never bothered me at all. The positives of ND far outweigh the negative. Some of the cleanest air in the country, some of the nicest and most down to earth people, wide open spaces, great national and state parks, the badlands, a huge number of rivers and lakes, nice riverside cities with great parks along the river (Fargo, Grand Forks, and Bismarck), lowest crime rate in the country, there's not a million people everywhere you go, etc. I've lived all over the US and ND is easily one of the best states. Very high quality of life there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota