U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2009, 02:54 PM

947 posts, read 3,174,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwlewis View Post
I was in North Dakota a year ago, stayed in Marmarth for a month. I left the area and went back to Tennessee, and ever since I was there, I miss it extremely. I have lived in six states- NY, VT, PA, TN, TX, NV- and I have been to 39, and of all the places I have been, ND is definitely different. Yes, it is cold, and yes, it is rural, but that is a small price to pay for living in a place where you dont hear gunshots every night, where you dont have to worry about your car being stolen or vandalized, or get stuck in traffic jams. There are fifty different states and many different cities in North America, and what is right for one person isnt right for another, but for me, I miss that area. I miss it so much that I am about to quit college and move back there next month. North Dakota is still the America of the 1950's or before in many ways, and for a straight White male such as myself, that is definitely a good thing.

danwlewis, very well said... Yes, ND is cold and rural but in the more rural areas of the state, it's nice for those who like a safer, quieter place to live with a good quality of life and slower pace of life.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:43 PM

325 posts, read 1,397,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBroadcaster2008 View Post
danwlewis, very well said... Yes, ND is cold and rural but in the more rural areas of the state, it's nice for those who like a safer, quieter place to live with a good quality of life and slower pace of life.

We moved back to ND after 40 years. Its been a welcome change to wave back to everyone you meet on the highway, and get to pre-pump your gas before paying for it. Something that would never happen in California!!!...

Old 09-21-2009, 04:22 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,522,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyToo View Post
We moved back to ND after 40 years. Its been a welcome change to wave back to everyone you meet on the highway, and get to pre-pump your gas before paying for it. Something that would never happen in California!!!...
Last year I was able to pump my gas in NoDak before paying for it. I haven't experienced that in the Chicago area for nearly 10 years. I was shocked to see this and it speaks to how honest most people are in that area of the country.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:19 PM

180 posts, read 447,524 times
i go to school here in fargo and personally i can't wait to leave lol. it's just not for me...too small, it doesn't have enough to offer me.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:25 PM
h&j

9 posts, read 38,282 times
After all the reading and research on North Dakota we have decided to sell out and move from Missouri. It is exactly what we are looking for. We are sure we won't be disappointed. Thanks for all the comments. I would welcome any correspondence from someone in the Bismark area. jerry92052@aol.com

Old 12-21-2009, 10:05 AM

549 posts, read 1,270,592 times
I certainly wouldn't regret leaving ND. I have been here for almost 3 months and have yet to meet a nice person or make any friends. Yeah it's cold but it's not too bad. It's the small nothing to do and really no where to meet people thing that bothers me. They are rather cliquish here.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,319 times
I lived in Grand Forks form 76-79. Do remember the snow the wind chill and the snow, but it was a great place to live.
Quote:
Originally Posted by showmeguy View Post
I grew up in a small town in ND. All in all I lived in the state 25 years. I left as eventually did all my family. I do not miss the winters. Does anyone remember the winter of 79-80 when it didn't get above 0 for weeks at a time? I do not miss the floods. The '80 flood in GF was bad enough, I'm glad I was gone before the '97 one hit. Tiny towns with crappy schools, no jobs and nothing to keep the kids from moving away. I read in the Fargo Forum last year that ND had somehting like a 5% annual population loss and quoted some official who sounded puzzled why anyone would leave the state. People, there are plenty of good safe places to raise your kids. You don't have to do it in ND.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:50 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,577,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyToo View Post
I pre-pump before paying in California.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:36 PM

325 posts, read 1,397,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
I pre-pump before paying in California.
Id like to know where? Never been to a place in California without pre-paying or using a credit card. You might have to tell the rest of Californian's that info...

Old 01-16-2010, 07:28 PM

59 posts, read 211,063 times
i would like to where too? i live in small town in california and you cant pre pump before paying ever...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or