U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2010, 11:48 PM

137 posts, read 382,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonianwoman View Post
Hey I am an African Immigrant and black and I lived in NC, TX, WA and finally I decided to settle in ND.
I have a family and i want my kids to grow healthy without liberal views and drugs influence. I don't want my kids to grow with foreign influence. Like in TX-DFW, you never know if this is America of Mexico. I was refused a job, because I can not speak Spanish,90 % in my apartments were spanish speaking people. and they can not even speak English and what they know is eating their tacos and ever where is salsa music and mostly are on social Welfare, Wow! American has done so bad and its own founding spirit has gone long time ago. Mexico has taken over and chines in Seattle have taken over if not every corner of our street. I do not want my kids to grow and they can not even speak english. Or See Houston with tons for Nigerians. And it seems your elected leaders exploit the situation and Washington has no clue what the hell this nation going through.

I want my children to grown and become true leaders not fake ones. I want they when they go to Africa, they can represent the true image of founding spirit our America. They should be equipped better that me, since I come here old and they should be able to have a moral and family foundation without liberal influence in our school system.
It does not matter what skin color and nation origin you come from; whoever or whatever you are,
we all should abide by founding spirit of this nation and keep it for generation to come. Every body comes here and do whatever they want and politicians support it if not, Feds pays and people are sued by ACLU and now even a foreign country start to involve in nation sovereignity of the United Sates, mexico not happy with AZ enforcing its immigration law. And unfortunately we have groups right here who seem to look after their own interests rather that national ones. They are the one who should not even allowed to govern this God-given nation. How the hell liberals, homosexuals and lesbian can lead this nation and always use ACLU to sue whoever disagree with them? It seems like ND has done it job to abide with the founding spirit of the United sates.
Shame of those who are taking nation down thinking that they are doing a good job. They have taken God and family values out of people's life, and they want heard in this state? Noway!

Old 06-25-2010, 09:54 PM

177 posts, read 365,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmuta View Post
Exactly! I can't believe what I read either. Sad, just sad.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:55 AM

7,328 posts, read 12,156,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonianwoman View Post
Hey I am an African Immigrant and black and I lived in NC, TX, WA and finally I decided to settle in ND.
I have a family and i want my kids to grow healthy without liberal views and drugs influence. I don't want my kids to grow with foreign influence.
You sound like regular folks to me, come to America to raise your kids as Americans. And that's a lot of what places like ND are about -- regular folks living quiet lives. If you want wild or weird or something happening every minute, or "culture" that's all about how foreign it can be, there's plenty of other places to be where that's what life is about.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:56 PM

219 posts, read 420,736 times
The only thing that bothers me is the cold weather. I really hate the cold. Other than that...I agree with you 100%

Old 06-26-2010, 01:01 PM

7,328 posts, read 12,156,808 times
Haha, I hear that one... grew up in ND/MN/MT, been in SoCal for the past 25 years... and have concluded that cold lutefisk is better than hot granola!

Old 06-27-2010, 04:17 PM

549 posts, read 1,269,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandy18 View Post
I live in Grand Forks, ND. We just moved here. I knew that it would be a challenge like growing up in a small town Tn, but I did not think that racism would be worse. I absolutely would not recommend anyone who did not grow up seeing race to move here. People do look at you different and treat you like second rate citizens. I feel like I stepped back in time around civil right movement. Its sad to say that its like this in Grand Forks. THe people are rude, judgmental, and negative. This is not a place/environment I would like to raise my daughter in because I was not raised to see color and I know first hand how people can treat you because you dont look like they do...this is on both sides. I hate to say it but I HATE ND.

Thank you. Thank you for not loving ND! I'm not saying that people should hate it, I just know that when I voice my opinion on here about ND I get a lot of flak for not thinking this is the best place ever. And I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but, I absolutely, positively, cannot stand it here and I will NOT miss it when I leave. I will hopefully never even think about this place ever again. A place where a town of 35,000 is considered large but has absolutely nothing to do. A place in the middle of nowhere, with winters that Russians would probably hate. I think if I wanted to retire and do nothing and live in a slow pace town, I would move here. But not now. Everything is more expensive, not less like they want you to think, there's nothing to do here, everything is too far to get to, and they definitely don't like the military which doesn't make sense because in Minot the base makes up for 10,000 of the population. If the base wasn't here, Minot would probably disappear. And I'm not saying everyone hates "basers", as they call us, but most don't like them. In my experience with the "towners", as I call them, they are rudely polite, like it is something they feel they have to do and it comes off as fake. I have no native north dakotan friends, not because I haven't tried, but because they act so stand offish and rude. And people are racist here. It is predominately white and most people make fun of the Native Americans here, which is weird to me. Growing up in Texas, most of my friends were Hispanic and I thought nothing of it. It was just the culture. Yes, they spoke English and were American but also kept a hold of their culture, too, just like we would do if we lived in France. I just can't force myself to enjoy it here and I've tried. I've done everything there is to do here. Stay busy and you can sometimes pretend you aren't here. I wouldn't expect everyone to love California or Texas or whatever and I hope people respect my opinion and don't go saying things like I haven't given it a chance and my negative attitude makes it bad for me because this is not true. I try to do things here and try not to complain but you just cannot MAKE someone like something.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:43 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,083,146 times
I think the issue you have is more related to the size of the city and the fact it is isolated....no larger cities within easy drive to. For a town of 35k (plus a large base) there is a lot of things to do in comparision to other isolated towns its size. Of course you cant compare Minot to a Sioux Falls or even Fargo in terms of things to do....doesnt make sense. Same here in the Grand Forks area where I live. If I compared things here to a Sioux Falls or Fargo then sure no comparision. But got to compare apples to apples....

It took me about 2-3 years to get friends here which is about the norm. I have no family here and my wife's family is in Minot. I agree that most folks here can be tough to crack in terms of getting on friendly basis....but it can occur. It just takes time. I realize moving from base to base is hard to get enough time to make good friends as once you do, you have to move.

Nothing wrong with not liking a particular area. I personally would die in Texas due to the heat, and if I had to live there due to a spousal relocation I would not like it and likely never would. I do enjoy moving around as it makes me see other areas of the country and find out where I indeed do fit in. I was born in Kentucky and did not like it there....and would never live there again. I lived in Michigan and Missouri too and I enjoyed Michigan well and Missouri so-so. I now live here and enjoy it.

I hope you get the chance to move somewhere soon. This upcoming winter may be a cold one. You have experienced a real cold winter yet as last year was moderate.

Dan

Old 06-29-2010, 02:38 PM

549 posts, read 1,269,913 times
Oh don't tell me that last year was moderate! Now I'm really gonna hate it lol

Old 07-07-2010, 07:53 AM

3 posts, read 5,061 times
I lived in ND most of my life. First in western ND near Williston, then moved to Minot, Carrington and then Fargo. I LOVED it.
Yes, winters are harsh and summers can be too. But the weather is not usually the problem with ND.
As many posters have stated it can be a little tricky to be accepted into the fold A lot of 'natives' have trust issues with strangers. Not the helping someone out who has a flat tire or a car issue but actually taking the time to get to know the new person down the street. I believe it is because there are not to many 'strangers' who move to ND and stay.
There are not to many minorities either except in Minot and Grand Forks because of the bases. Most ND residents will tell you they are not prejudiced---but sometimes their actions speak a LOT louder than their words. Not all are like that but the ones who are sure make it tough.
I now live in a suburb of Chicago. I find the same types of issues here that are in ND but at a lesser extent. I do believe my ND upbringing has helped me to make friends here though since I have lived my whole life saying good morning/afternoon, hello, please and thank you and treating everyone like they matter (but that is probably a family thing rather than a ND thing).
No matter where you are people respond to niceties and respect.
So.....have I moved away and not regreted it? Maybe. I love experiencing new things and making new friends. It seems a lot of people in ND are perfectly happy staying put and being who and where they have been for years. Nothing wrong with that but I find I have learned so much more about myself and the country we live in by moving out of ND then I would have ever learned staying in ND. I can't imagine being born, going to school, working and dying all in the same town.
Would I move back to ND? Yes, without hesitation because it is a great place to live and I have many, many friends who live there.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:14 PM

350 posts, read 470,636 times
I've lived in ND more than half my life, and though I agree that it can sometimes be uneventful for a young person, I've never felt truly bored or limited here. I think a lot of my attitude stems from the old saying, "Ignorance is bliss." I haven't experienced, nor really care to experience, a lot of the things people take for granted and miss when they move here. For example, big concerts, clubs, fine dining, multiculturalism, shopping, etc. I like my life the way it is and I don't feel any great need to change it at the moment.

I spent 12 years of my early life in Pennsylvania, which I do sometimes miss dearly. However, I have so many close and probably life-long friends here that I wouldn't give up for the world. I've also never had problems making any kind of friends here, either as a teenager or adult. I wouldn't consider myself to be a super outgoing person, but making friends has always come easy around here - which is why I don't understand why newcomers to our state have so much trouble adapting or meeting locals. Almost everyone I've ever met in ND is friendly, honest, and welcoming. Yes, of course racism and slight hesitation towards outsiders exists, but these things most likely occur everywhere in the country.

Maybe the core difference between North Dakotans and transplants from the air base or elsewhere is values. People adhere to traditions and are generally conservative in nature around here. In defense of Minot locals, etjaipleure, I have to admit that many of the basers I've met are rude or demanding. I work in retail and have many a time had basers talk to me in a snarky way or belittle our way of life here by saying North Dakotans are sheltered, boring, or backwards. Several have cussed at me for not offering a military discount, or told me that I'm not patriotic because I won't give them special deals on items. And then these same people wonder why no one likes them! No, ND isn't perfect, but like anywhere else it's only ever going to be as good as you make it. I just wish more people could learn to be happy with what they have and settle for less.

/rant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or