U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 04:59 PM

7 posts, read 23,438 times

Advertisements

I left NoDak 30 plus years ago and thought i'd never ever miss it. But I'll tell you there's nothing as beautiful as a meadowlark singing outside a bedroom window! It sure as heck beats listening to the distant roar of a 6 lane interstate and pretending it's a river!

I'm not sure i miss the winters but then again i suppose those winters are what make North Dakota what it is.

And the people are so friendly. If anyone says they're pretentious, they are probably just misinterpreting shyness and gentle reserve. I do believe that you have to be prepared to be friendly when you visit there. if you don't meet and greet like you're at a Class One cocktail party, people might think you're stuck up! It's not like living in a city where you can anonymously run to the grocery store. The odds of running into your English teacher, your lover's wife, your farm implement dealer or even your minister are pretty great when you live in a small town. Trust me. Those encounters keep you honest. (Like you'd never run into your lover's wife because if you're so inclined to have a lover who has a wife, you'll pick one from a neighboring state!)

And North Dakotan's skin is so wrinkle-free! Probably because they don't get pure sun everyday of the year!

So, yes I miss the place and sure wouldn't mind returning some day.

Oh, one other thing. Eastern North Dakota is more like Minnesota. In fact, those of us from the Western part of the state, consider anything east of the Missouri to be a separate state!

Last edited by Jammie; 09-08-2007 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: merged

Old 09-09-2007, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 4,966 times
Well said.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:06 PM

8 posts, read 47,376 times
I think ND is one of the most beautiful states in our great USA. I have lived in a few others and am convinced that this is the best. I live in Morton county and have worked in the power plants, I know to the extent that those plants go through to ensure the cleanest air possible, also they are the highest paying blue collar jobs in the state. I have sinced retired from the plants and work as a Realtor in the Bismarck and Mandan areas. There has been alot of wind generation going in here also. There is a help wanted sign in most of our local businesses, so jobs are plentiful, there are many many programs available for home buyers to get into a home with little or no money down. Hands down this is the best place to live, work and play.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:38 PM

20,168 posts, read 34,473,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpumove View Post
I think ND is one of the most beautiful states in our great USA. I have lived in a few others and am convinced that this is the best. I live in Morton county and have worked in the power plants, I know to the extent that those plants go through to ensure the cleanest air possible, also they are the highest paying blue collar jobs in the state. I have sinced retired from the plants and work as a Realtor in the Bismarck and Mandan areas. There has been alot of wind generation going in here also. There is a help wanted sign in most of our local businesses, so jobs are plentiful, there are many many programs available for home buyers to get into a home with little or no money down. Hands down this is the best place to live, work and play.
True, the power plant jobs pay fairly good wages. However, would you want to live in Mercer County that has four power plants that run on lignite coal? I believe I read a previous thread awhile ago from people who live in the area that have said that they have definitely felt affects from air quality because of all the power plants nearby. You have to remember that their are entire states that do not have one coal power plant, yet one county in ND has four!

Old 09-15-2007, 12:23 AM

203 posts, read 855,959 times
Nope, don't miss ND. Lived in MN until I was 10, then Bismarck until 21. Since then I have lived in Alaska, Texas and Florida and I do not miss ND.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:54 AM

158 posts, read 974,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
True, the power plant jobs pay fairly good wages. However, would you want to live in Mercer County that has four power plants that run on lignite coal? I believe I read a previous thread awhile ago from people who live in the area that have said that they have definitely felt affects from air quality because of all the power plants nearby. You have to remember that their are entire states that do not have one coal power plant, yet one county in ND has four!
Other states would love to have the air quality of all of the other counties in ND. I would have to guestimate that the power plants may affect about 1/50th of the state as far as air quality. Breathe away.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowblind9 View Post
Other states would love to have the air quality of all of the other counties in ND. I would have to guestimate that the power plants may affect about 1/50th of the state as far as air quality. Breathe away.
True, but the areas near the Missouri River have a ton of power plants. South Dakota, Idaho, New Hampshire, and Maine combined have a total of 3 coal power plants. North Dakota has 4 coal power plants in one county (Mercer County). Also, rural states in the Great Plains have fewer environmental regulations concerning emissions from coal power plants. Personally, I would never live near a coal complex as large as the one in North Dakota.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:57 PM

158 posts, read 974,417 times
Well the only cities that would effect would be Beulah, Hazen, Center, Stanton, Falkirk, Washburn, and Underwood. Otherwise you would not even notice a power plant existed.

Last edited by snowblind9; 09-18-2007 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: forgot to add city

Old 09-18-2007, 07:59 PM

325 posts, read 1,397,042 times
I have some thoughts on this matter. I think if you don't like North Dakota, its best for North Dakotans that you leave. North Dakota is different, not doubt about it, but that's why we like it. Either you like it and embrace it, or you B**ch and moan. Well, we all know that moaning does no good at all. So, Alas! next choice is to leave. Leave North Dakota to the people that love it and embrace it, even for its idiosyncrasy's. Amen!

Last edited by Jammie; 09-19-2007 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: removed a word

Old 09-18-2007, 10:56 PM

I know a few people who live in North Dakota but I do not live there. I use to know someone from Beulah because that name does sound familiar. He had a few health issues, and I believe some of those had to do with the fact that their are four power plants alone in Mercer County. Some people forget that their are residents who live in those rural counties, and they do not all work at the power plants. In fact, most of the electric power generated at those coal plants does go to other states because North Dakota does not need much electric power because of its low population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or