U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 03:53 PM

947 posts, read 3,173,988 times

Advertisements

Chester:

I worked for one of those country stations! 98.5 is long dormant and dead.. the FCC's online records aren't always the most accurate.

The scenery in and around Williston is beautiful, it's a nice town, the people are nice......

I'd go back, but with 2 groups in Williston owning the stations, that won't be happening. (one fired me and one won't hire me)

By the way, Williston has a "Hot AC" station,Power 95.1......... I wouldn't classify that as rock, country or christian

Paul W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chester View Post
Computergeek2007, I too would give anything to move back to Williston. I would love to be there right now, especially during the oil boom. It is fun to see all the new faces, and listen to all the buzz. The scenery is beautifull around that town. My favorite area is just south of Williston where they have the Lewis&Clark wildlife refuge. You pass over the Missouri river bridge heading south on to a flat plains lush with prairie grasses , cat tails, swampy areas, and cottonwood trees...and then across a land bridge that seperates backwaters of the Missouri again...and then up into the bluffs of Indian Hills. To the east are large rolling hils, to the north flat lower rise rolling hills for as far as the eye can see. Love it! I love taking pictures of that area...each season brings a different view of the same landscape. As far as Radio...it is funny how just a couple years back, Williston-Sidney area Radio was 4Country and 4Christian and 1Rock, today, it is 4Christian and 3Rock...with only 2 country stations left. Probably a reflection of the younger energy field workers moving back? Now sure how demographics work, and why music formats change so abruptly. I saw on the FCC site that there is a new Radio station 98.5 but its listed as ''vacant''...does this mean someone owns the rights and it is in the works? Just curious since you are a radio person. Maybe if this is a new station, your dream could come true?

Old 10-15-2007, 06:08 PM

103 posts, read 661,398 times
Thanks for the info computer...I saw that 98.5 listed for a few years and always wondered what was going on. First they showed a construction permit, then it expired, then it showed it was renewed, and no is shows vacant. I suppose it was someone trying to start a new station and then they gave up or DIED or something...LOL. Hope you can get back to ND someday...thanks for the positive remarks about us, we do appreciate it.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chester View Post
Thanks for the info computer...I saw that 98.5 listed for a few years and always wondered what was going on. First they showed a construction permit, then it expired, then it showed it was renewed, and no is shows vacant. I suppose it was someone trying to start a new station and then they gave up or DIED or something...LOL. Hope you can get back to ND someday...thanks for the positive remarks about us, we do appreciate it.
The FCC is real weird about showing allocations. The same people who had 98.5 I also think had an allocation for 104.1 near or in Tioga, if I'm not mistaken! (KTGO 1090, the 1KW Daytimer in Tioga has been for sale in the past too.. I heard the station does decent business.....)

I do hope to get back to North Dakota or somewhere nearby one day.....after the vivid radio dream I had, it seems like thats what I'm meant to be doing.

By the way Chester, feel free to call me Paul.. all my listeners and friends do

Old 10-20-2007, 12:10 PM

979 posts, read 3,349,770 times
I too am glad you have a positive outlook on those of us in ND. I'm sorry things didn't work out for you at the Williston station, but glad you don't take it out on the Williston locals or area, because of a few station owners who didn't agree with the way you wanted to do things. So many lump an area or people and label them because of their negative experience somewhere. You see it all the time where someone had a bad situation in ND, and then decide to label and blame the entire state and people in a negative way, just because of their misfortunes. Wouldn't it be nice if you could win a few millions in the lotto, and then buy out that station...and then run it your way? Always fun to dream.

Old 10-20-2007, 03:15 PM

Roloff:

yes, it is nice to dream aobut winning the lottery and don't think for a second I haven't wished I could return to work in Williston or win the lottery and buy 95.1/96.1/660.

If I *did* win the lotteyr, I wouldn't change much...except for a ore agressive sales and promotions team. I'd tweak the formats a little, moving country exclusively to 660am, keep the Hot AC on 95.1 fm and put a CHR/Top 40 on 96.1! There is NO CHR/TOp format targetting the younger 14 to 30 crowd anywhere even r,emotely clsoe to Willisotn.... but I digress. We werent hititng our target audience dmeos at 96.1 but the boss didnt care as long as we amde money.

And I would NEVER base my opinions about an area or state on how I was treated by a few people. My leaving is Williston's loss and someone elses gain, lol.

North Dakota is truly beautiful , I wish more people would realzie that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloff1976 View Post
I too am glad you have a positive outlook on those of us in ND. I'm sorry things didn't work out for you at the Williston station, but glad you don't take it out on the Williston locals or area, because of a few station owners who didn't agree with the way you wanted to do things. So many lump an area or people and label them because of their negative experience somewhere. You see it all the time where someone had a bad situation in ND, and then decide to label and blame the entire state and people in a negative way, just because of their misfortunes. Wouldn't it be nice if you could win a few millions in the lotto, and then buy out that station...and then run it your way? Always fun to dream.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:39 AM

112 posts, read 450,306 times
I lived in ND almost my entire life, and moved away last year initially to NY, and now I live in TN.

Do I regret it?? No. The opportunities down here far exceed those in ND...I'm making far more money here, and I still found great housing that was affordable. The weather sucks in the summer, I'll grant you that, but it's made up for by not freezing my arse off in the winter.

I DO miss the people in ND, though. The people here are not as polite as they'd like to think they are, with the "southern hospitality" thing....

Old 12-02-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NODAK1979 View Post
I lived in ND almost my entire life, and moved away last year initially to NY, and now I live in TN.

Do I regret it?? No. The opportunities down here far exceed those in ND...I'm making far more money here, and I still found great housing that was affordable. The weather sucks in the summer, I'll grant you that, but it's made up for by not freezing my arse off in the winter.

I DO miss the people in ND, though. The people here are not as polite as they'd like to think they are, with the "southern hospitality" thing....
To each his own... I prefer colder winters and cooler summers over milder winters and humid summers.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:07 PM

394 posts, read 1,047,053 times
North Dakota is pursing wind energy in a MAJOR way. A couple of problems with wind energy in North Dakota. First is the transmission lines to carry the power to the large markets that need the power. Building power lines is not an easy task. Most people don't want them in their back yard (just like power plants), yet everyone wants to turn the light switch on and have power.

The other major problem with wind power is it is not constant. So you must have other power sources to ramp up when the wind is down (yes it does stop blowing now and then).

Old 12-10-2007, 01:14 AM

2 posts, read 6,524 times
I was born and raised in North Dakota. My dad was in the Air Force where he was stationed in ND and later retired. I lived in Grand Forks, Larimore, Emerado, Arvilla, and a tiny bit in Fargo.

I'm not going to give my life story, but being a minority and growing up mainly in rural towns, my experiences with racism, was enough to persuade me to move when I was old enough and saved the money. Also, everyone's idea of fun was to get drunk.

I moved to Minneapolis when I was 21. Minneapolis is a nice city and probably my favorite place in the Midwest but I think I'll feel more at home in the west coast.

The only thing I regret is moving away from my dad, he's getting up their in age and too stubborn to move again.

I'm about to move to Portland, this Spring.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:41 PM

10 posts, read 40,624 times
I left ND and never regretted it. I had to come back because of family issues and am now in Fargo....The town has changed a lot since the 80's. Everyone driving fast with road rage...wages are low..rent is high. A friend was walking uptown Fargo this summer and was viciously attacked and robbed by two men for $40...he was almost killed. Yes I left Fargo and had to come back..do I regret it ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or