Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2010, 06:10 PM

392 posts, read 50,748 times

Advertisements

Come to Fraserburgh in Scotland, it`s beautiful and peaceful, no riff raff allowed...once here you will never want to return to Bismarck.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:15 PM

1 posts, read 5,282 times
I live in Grand Forks, ND. We just moved here. I knew that it would be a challenge like growing up in a small town Tn, but I did not think that racism would be worse. I absolutely would not recommend anyone who did not grow up seeing race to move here. People do look at you different and treat you like second rate citizens. I feel like I stepped back in time around civil right movement. Its sad to say that its like this in Grand Forks. THe people are rude, judgmental, and negative. This is not a place/environment I would like to raise my daughter in because I was not raised to see color and I know first hand how people can treat you because you dont look like they do...this is on both sides. I hate to say it but I HATE ND.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:25 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandy18 View Post
I live in Grand Forks, ND. We just moved here. I knew that it would be a challenge like growing up in a small town Tn, but I did not think that racism would be worse. I absolutely would not recommend anyone who did not grow up seeing race to move here. People do look at you different and treat you like second rate citizens. I feel like I stepped back in time around civil right movement. Its sad to say that its like this in Grand Forks. THe people are rude, judgmental, and negative. This is not a place/environment I would like to raise my daughter in because I was not raised to see color and I know first hand how people can treat you because you dont look like they do...this is on both sides. I hate to say it but I HATE ND.
Boy I respect your opinions....but I know people from a variety of cultures and races from my government job here in the Forks and also at the base and this is certainly is not the norm at least from what they tell me. I grew up in western Kentucky and nothing can be worse than the segregation still present in some of the small towns down there.

Dan

Old 03-26-2010, 04:15 AM

947 posts, read 3,571,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Boy I respect your opinions....but I know people from a variety of cultures and races from my government job here in the Forks and also at the base and this is certainly is not the norm at least from what they tell me. I grew up in western Kentucky and nothing can be worse than the segregation still present in some of the small towns down there.

Dan
Hate to hijack a thread, but where in Western Kentucky? I work in Marion, IL now and my boss' wife is form just over the river in Cave in Rock, IL.

Dan, email me privately if you want, WalkerBroadcasting@gmail.com

Old 03-26-2010, 04:25 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerUser000 View Post
Hate to hijack a thread, but where in Western Kentucky? I work in Marion, IL now and my boss' wife is form just over the river in Cave in Rock, IL.

Dan, email me privately if you want, WalkerBroadcasting@gmail.com
sent you an e-mail..

Old 03-26-2010, 03:19 PM

177 posts, read 425,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandy18 View Post
I am sorry to hear that this has happened to you. I used to live in Grand Forks for six months while working there and to be quite honest I've noticed people were acting strange. They don't seem to be friendly at all. I asked people at my work place about unfriendly people in GF and they told me what I saw is probably true. Some are sick and tired of seeing transient people come and go. One major contributing factor is the Air Force base. I guess their feelings were hurt when they get to know someone for 2-3 years then the people move away when their job assignments are done, so why bother. It's constantly like that in GF. That's why they act unfriendly when they see strangers in town. At least that what I was told by some of the locals anyway. I rented an apartment at the time and I got to talk to the lady that worked for the rental office maybe 5 minutes worth of conversation for the whole rental procedure, and the whole time I was living there. Basically there were just yes and no when I ask questions about the least, oh, and some stared in my face as though she did not understand my questions. She didn't not even attempt to spark a conversation as to welcome me as a new tenant. Oh, by the way, she is pure American, just to clarify if some of you might thought that she may have English limited. I am glad I only have to live in GF for 6 months for my job assignment. I don't think I would last any longer than that. GF is nice to some but it's not my cup of tea. Not much to do and see there. If there weren't the Air Force base and UND, the town is doomed, imo.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:15 PM

325 posts, read 1,548,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post

Dan
Gees! I have to agree with Dan. I grew up in North Dakota a zillion years ago, and returned after 40 years. Yes, there have been changes, but thank God some sanity still exists in this country. Even after 40 years, with all the changes, people here are still hard working and love the wide open spaces the Dakota's have to offer. Of coure your always going to find the exception, but I find they are the exception. If anyone else tells you differently, they are lying or just wrong, in my opinion.. Hope that helps some people. We can't please everyone. Good luck in your move out or into NoDak! All new commers welcomed here anyway..

Old 03-30-2010, 10:31 AM

3 posts, read 9,479 times
I agree that ND is a safer place to live. The History Channel aired a program (The States). ND was rated as one of the top 10 (I think) as the safest place to live. However the bitter cold Winters can take its toll on a person after awhile. yesterday it was 62 degrees today it is 45. the weather can be so unpreditable here. But anything above 0 is a heat wave here. and it is strange that no snow has fallen in the month of March thats a record. I cannot speak of the bigger citys such as Fargo, G.Forks, Minot. I moved here from a small town in another state, and I now live in a small town. Most of the older folks in this town leave when Winter months begin.(SNOWBIRDS). Most of these small towns are struggling. Schools have shut down, and merged with neighboring schools. Where I live now this little town is lucky so far to still have their school, a hospital that is unfortantley on its last legg, layoffs, Drs leaving, not a good thing. There is no work here. My husband found work a the one and only cafe in town, and that is only part time. there is 3 convience stores, one grocery store whos prices are 3 times as much as you would pay in the bigger towns. we pay near $6.00 a gallon for milk. over $2.00 for eggs, ect ect. however with the price of gas the way it is one can travel several miles away to a bigger town to shop, and find a few bargins, but to me it really doesnt save me much to do that, so I buy local, and pay the prices. my sister and her husband drive 45 miles one way each day just to get to work. in the winter months it takes them longer to get to work due to hazzrdest roads, and sometimes they have to stay in a motel due to road closings, so now thats a added exspense in the winter. For the most part I have met some really good people here in this town. and not so nice people. my family and I are outsiders, and we will always be that no matter what. However we keep going, keep our chins up, and WE LIVE.
There is nothing for the younger kids to do here. and most move away after graduation, due to lack of work, and most just want adventure. I am not orginally from here, but my deceased husband was born and raised here, and he didnt want to live here at all. So I guess its all a matter of choice, and how you choose to handle a way of live here. Its a diffrent world here in ND.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:40 PM

2 posts, read 10,931 times
Hey I am an African Immigrant and black and I lived in NC, TX, WA and finally I decided to settle in ND.
I have a family and i want my kids to grow healthy without liberal views and drugs influence. I don't want my kids to grow with foreign influence. Like in TX-DFW, you never know if this is America of Mexico. I was refused a job, because I can not speak Spanish,90 % in my apartments were spanish speaking people. and they can not even speak English and what they know is eating their tacos and ever where is salsa music and mostly are on social Welfare, Wow! American has done so bad and its own founding spirit has gone long time ago. Mexico has taken over and chines in Seattle have taken over if not every corner of our street. I do not want my kids to grow and they can not even speak english. Or See Houston with tons for Nigerians. And it seems your elected leaders exploit the situation and Washington has no clue what the hell this nation going through.

I want my children to grown and become true leaders not fake ones. I want they when they go to Africa, they can represent the true image of founding spirit our America. They should be equipped better that me, since I come here old and they should be able to have a moral and family foundation without liberal influence in our school system.
It does not matter what skin color and nation origin you come from; whoever or whatever you are,
we all should abide by founding spirit of this nation and keep it for generation to come. Every body comes here and do whatever they want and politicians support it if not, Feds pays and people are sued by ACLU and now even a foreign country start to involve in nation sovereignity of the United Sates, mexico not happy with AZ enforcing its immigration law. And unfortunately we have groups right here who seem to look after their own interests rather that national ones. They are the one who should not even allowed to govern this God-given nation. How the hell liberals, homosexuals and lesbian can lead this nation and always use ACLU to sue whoever disagree with them? It seems like ND has done it job to abide with the founding spirit of the United sates.
Shame of those who are taking nation down thinking that they are doing a good job. They have taken God and family values out of people's life, and they want heard in this state? Noway!

Old 06-24-2010, 08:28 PM

59 posts, read 234,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonianwoman View Post
Hey I am an African Immigrant and black and I lived in NC, TX, WA and finally I decided to settle in ND.
I have a family and i want my kids to grow healthy without liberal views and drugs influence. I don't want my kids to grow with foreign influence. Like in TX-DFW, you never know if this is America of Mexico. I was refused a job, because I can not speak Spanish,90 % in my apartments were spanish speaking people. and they can not even speak English and what they know is eating their tacos and ever where is salsa music and mostly are on social Welfare, Wow! American has done so bad and its own founding spirit has gone long time ago. Mexico has taken over and chines in Seattle have taken over if not every corner of our street. I do not want my kids to grow and they can not even speak english. Or See Houston with tons for Nigerians. And it seems your elected leaders exploit the situation and Washington has no clue what the hell this nation going through.

I want my children to grown and become true leaders not fake ones. I want they when they go to Africa, they can represent the true image of founding spirit our America. They should be equipped better that me, since I come here old and they should be able to have a moral and family foundation without liberal influence in our school system.
It does not matter what skin color and nation origin you come from; whoever or whatever you are,
we all should abide by founding spirit of this nation and keep it for generation to come. Every body comes here and do whatever they want and politicians support it if not, Feds pays and people are sued by ACLU and now even a foreign country start to involve in nation sovereignity of the United Sates, mexico not happy with AZ enforcing its immigration law. And unfortunately we have groups right here who seem to look after their own interests rather that national ones. They are the one who should not even allowed to govern this God-given nation. How the hell liberals, homosexuals and lesbian can lead this nation and always use ACLU to sue whoever disagree with them? It seems like ND has done it job to abide with the founding spirit of the United sates.
Shame of those who are taking nation down thinking that they are doing a good job. They have taken God and family values out of people's life, and they want heard in this state? Noway!
i agree with you !thats why we are moving there from california!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota