U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 12:19 PM

2 posts, read 2,128 times

Advertisements

I grew up in a small town in ND. All in all I lived in the state 25 years. I left as eventually did all my family. I do not miss the winters. Does anyone remember the winter of 79-80 when it didn't get above 0 for weeks at a time? I do not miss the floods. The '80 flood in GF was bad enough, I'm glad I was gone before the '97 one hit. Tiny towns with crappy schools, no jobs and nothing to keep the kids from moving away. I read in the Fargo Forum last year that ND had somehting like a 5% annual population loss and quoted some official who sounded puzzled why anyone would leave the state. People, there are plenty of good safe places to raise your kids. You don't have to do it in ND.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:39 PM

74 posts, read 338,934 times
Showmeguy,

You certainly are looking at all the negatives about ND . I am one who left the state for the same reasons many did. But I have friends who have moved back from many larger urban areas (NYC, MSP, etc) to open up their art galleries/shops, etc; and they are just blossoming. The FM area is really an awesome place, and though not perfect, a sweet secret. Yes, it is. If I could, I would be there in a heartbeat.

Last edited by thomjoe; 05-11-2007 at 10:58 PM..

Old 05-12-2007, 07:53 AM

673 posts, read 3,693,193 times
I lived in Fargo for 2 years and I dont regret moving either.

Fargo was a nice place and it was very clean but the people were extremely unfriendly and arrogant. I have never been around so many snooty, pretentious people in my life.

I am not trying to be rude but North Dakotans they need to take a cultural and friendliness lesson from Minnesotans. Minnesotans are far friendlier and forwards-thinking then North Dakota maybe that is why Minnesota is growing so much faster and is so much more affluent then North Dakota because one is progressive and the other hasnt modified its way of life.

I can see why people arent moving from North Dakota in significant numbers after the personality, arrogance and unfriendliness up there.

The weather was nothing compared to the people waiting for people in Fargo to warm up to someone is a lost cause they are so insular its incredible. I had more conversations more people in 15 minutes the Twin Cities then 2 years in Fargo.

Not only that but when ever it was 70 degrees and sunny almost the whole population would be indoors not enjoying the weather.

Also when I ever I went out and it seemed like so very few people around. People there also seemed to be in a big phony rush all the time up there.

Also, Fargo has a big case of cultural absolutism where they want a situation where everyone has an near-indentical personality and those who dont are considered deviants.

Old 05-13-2007, 12:31 AM

74 posts, read 338,934 times
I am a Fargo native and just love my hometown. MattDen, sorry you didn't find the love here. I have travelled the world, did move from ND, but my heart and soul is still there. I now live in a very urban, but secluded part of a huge city. I don't live in Omaha, either.

Last edited by thomjoe; 05-13-2007 at 12:56 AM..

Old 05-17-2007, 04:13 AM

38 posts, read 167,675 times
Seriously did you even live here? I've been here since January and this is one of the most unpretentious places in the entire world. I moved here from the San Franciso bay area. I lived in an wealthy town there and I recognize arrogance and pretentiousness when I see it. I have yet to meet anyone in Fargo that wasn't down to Earth.

Also, about the weather. Did you ever go outside? Seriously you are so incredibly wrong about everything you are saying. On nice days the neighborhoods are filled with kids out playing, people walking dogs, riding bikes, etc.

I've been following you in the Nebraska thread and am still shocked at the ridiculously subjective, irrelevant, and completely inane things you say. This is why I think you've never actually lived here. Maybe you drove through here on a Sunday morning or something.

Last edited by Jammie; 05-17-2007 at 07:21 AM.. Reason: removed words

Old 05-17-2007, 07:37 AM

35 posts, read 131,879 times
Default friendly

I agree shamus, I too have experienced the pretention you speak of and Fargo does not compare. When the weather is nice people are all over the place outside, and a lot of people don't let the weather stop them at all (I'm not one of them...). Fargo isn't beautiful like some areas of CA but I find I can overcome that because my quality of life is so good.
Hope you enjoy Fargo.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:43 AM

83 posts, read 325,615 times
Default Why leave N. Dak.

Does anyone remember the winter of 1968-69? I lived in Williston and everyday we would run over to the Woolworths store for lunch and the thermometer on the bank was -20 every day for a whole month. That was the hottest part of the day, you can imagine the night.
As a kid I remember going to basketball games, coming out and it was -42 and we had to still drive from Ray to Wildrose. Fun?????

Old 05-19-2007, 11:15 AM

91 posts, read 430,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post

Fargo was a nice place and it was very clean but the people were extremely unfriendly and arrogant. I have never been around so many snooty, pretentious people in my life.
Try moving to Utah, there's 2.5 million of them there and only 600k in ND.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:35 PM

30 posts, read 175,999 times
Mattden said it correct and i have to quote " Fargo was a nice place and it was very clean but the people were extremely unfriendly and arrogant. I have never been around so many snooty, pretentious people in my life. " and i am sure he fit in very well. North Dakotans treat people as they are treated.
I myself being a former North Dakotan and now a resident of Minnesota ( i will never be a Minnesotan ). If you don't hunt or fish, or you are a wako democrat, or some artsy fool. it takes a long time to meet people. People are busy here, but i can't complain too much, i am just as busy. Mattden forgot the golden rule. Stop and say hello, good morning, good bye, and good night. if you don't initiate yourself, why would you expect it

Old 06-08-2007, 11:25 PM

21 posts, read 92,220 times
Default Hey! That's not true!

I bet to differ. The rural North Dakota areas are fabulous. The kids are great, the schools are good, the people are just as well-informed as anywhere else, and have probably a livelier interest in the arts than a lot of places I have seen. Honesty is very high, as is helpfulness and neighborliness. To me this is the best place in the world, and I'm a Cal;ifornia attorney who relocated here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or