Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2009, 01:29 PM

4 posts, read 9,025 times

Advertisements

I might be moving to Dikinson North Dakota in the summer, i was wondering some info about the town. not so much the torism but like the highschool. i am an adolesent in colorado i already know it is supposed to be really cold but i need info about the town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 10:53 PM

205 posts, read 729,423 times
Spelling the name correctly will be a start: Dickinson

Old 11-07-2009, 11:24 AM

979 posts, read 3,669,286 times
No Dickinson people? Never lived there, been have been there a few times. It is around 16,000 people. They have the basic fast food. A decent little mall. It has a small University, so has a small college population of about 2500 students. The High Schools...one public, and one Catholic. I'm guessing the locals pretty much find things to do for the area...mostly hunting, fishing. Local sports. It is not a huge town, so you are not going to see clubs, big name concerts or things like that. But you don't find too much of this anywhere in the mid states of ND, SD, WY and MT. As far as cold...we have our days mid winter, but you in Colorado probably get more snow than we do. Hopefully some Dickinson people will post some positives and correct anything I may have said that doesn't represent them well. Good Luck in Dickinson.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:18 PM

thank you for the information and i am looking more to the point do they have a movie theater or a bowling ally or something i have found out it is very simular to my home town of canon city colorado

Old 11-10-2009, 05:09 AM

38 posts, read 199,444 times
Hi newguy7759,

Yes, there is a movie theater in the mall.
There are 2 bowling alleys.

What else?

Dave Norris
Dickinson, ND
<><

Old 11-10-2009, 01:18 PM

thanks what are the people like are thear those kids that like icp and paint thear faces i am really looking to get away from that crap here in canon what are the youth like

Old 11-11-2009, 05:32 AM

38 posts, read 199,444 times
Hi again,

Most people are nice. We are transplants and had no problem fitting in. I'm from Southern Calif and my wife is from Mississippi. Like anywhere else - there will be a few bad eggs.
I'd say the youth are pretty much like anywhere else, just on a smaller qty scale. The highschool has the usual sports. There is an awesome Community Center (Westriver Community Center) Google it. It has indoor pools, weights, tennis, climbing wall, etc. I think there is a skateboard park in town too. There are several youth groups at the local churches. Would you be interesated in anything like that? What is "icp"? and what do you mean by "Paint their faces"?

Kind Regards,

Dave N.
<><

Old 11-11-2009, 07:49 AM

246 posts, read 1,007,121 times
"ICP" - Insane Clown Posse I am assuming.

I have in-laws in dickinson, quite a few actually. When I visited there a few times I haven't really seen much in the way of people done up like that or goth, etc. Are there people like that there, maybe, but nothing like what you would see in say a larger city.

I would say if you are looking to get away from that, you will be fine.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:23 PM

979 posts, read 3,669,286 times
Definately NO to the ICP Insane Clown Posse... (where kids paint their faces with black and white paints with scarey or goth like facial images..clothing goes along with it...kind of extreme goth...lol) if there are, They are probably the ones who are considered outcasts, cuz' we in North Dakota are pretty normal ...and not into the flyby trends. You will probably see a couple kids do it for attention...but not like they do in the larger metro areas of the US. I've seen a couple kids in Bismarck trying very hard to imitate the ICP thing, but people just laugh or gawk at them...and the kids love the attention they get.
Not sure if it is a social thing, but definately would not be allowed in schools.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:22 PM

thanks in the town i am living in thats what everybody tries to do and i am happy to get away from thear
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota