U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 10:28 AM

10 posts, read 17,646 times
I love that! the more I read the more I love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 08:53 PM

325 posts, read 1,037,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie lundy View Post
Do not move to North Dakota. You are not of the body ( North Dakota ) You will never belong.Things will happen.Like poison your dogs.Talk about you every time you are not in ear distance.They never really talk to you anyway,just question you.They do not want new commers here.Biggest mistake of my life.
Now, that is about the most rediculus thing I've ever heard of. This person has obviously never lived outside of North Dakota for some time. Or, I'm thinking someone that love's North Dakota and is selfish and dosn't want anyone else moving here.. Thats it! He/She is just being selfish!! shame!!!...

Old 01-21-2010, 08:14 AM

56 posts, read 109,796 times
Very, very good point Nemmert. Thanks for pointing that out.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:03 AM

3,544 posts, read 5,030,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemmert View Post
Herein lies part of the problem... what qualifies as "icky, rude, condecending" and "irritating" varies from region to region.

In Hoboken, NJ, I was stared at like I had 3 heads for standing and holding a door open for a woman who had her arms overfull with packages. In ND, you'd likely be considered rude if you didn't hold a door open for a woman, for anyone who's arms were overfull of packages, much less for a woman WITH her arms full of packages.

Big City people are always in a rush, they hate waiting in lines, do not like to have time wasted. They will often appear fidgety in these sorts of situations and get short. We expect that out here. In ND, it is common for people to take their time and talk to the cashier about their family, to actually write out a check (and don't expect them to start making it out while the order is being rung up!), to be patient. The ND native will think the fidgety person is annoying or rude, the big city person will think the ND native is rude for wasting their time by making them wait longer in line due to their lolly gagging.

Big city people often have their self identity tied up with how much they make or how successful they are in their careers. ND people aren't going to want to discuss that as they're self identity is generally in how many kids they have and how successful those children are.

If you're from a big city, you're going to have to go out of your way to be polite to people. In your mind, you're going to have to go WAY over the top in terms of niceness and friendliness to even approach the normalcy line of a ND native. If you act anywhere near your big city "norm", you're going to be isolated, and you're going to be called things like "icky", "rude", "condescending", and "irritating" on ND chat forums

excellent post!

Old 01-23-2010, 01:46 PM

115 posts, read 147,458 times
Wow, your post Nemmert, really strikes me! I have lived in large cities all my life, and while I am typically a "door holder" and know my manners, I will admit to being fidgety when waiting! I will definitely need to work on slowing down and enjoying life more. Having been a military brat then joining myself and marring a military man, we know hurry up and wait, but its usually because we are half hour to an hour early everywhere. Please try to be patient with those of us who seem to want to live in the "fast forward" lane, the good ones will learn!

Old 01-26-2010, 07:02 AM

122 posts, read 247,050 times
One of the wonderful things I've noticed here is that people take time. No one is in a rush in the line in the store - chatting and having a conversation with the checker is accepted behaviour. Store employees will go out of their way to help you (except for an unnamed person who looked at me as if I was from outer space when I asked if they ever got celery root).

My first visit to my new doctor was over an hour long - and that was before bloodwork and xrays. Oh - and I actually got a letter from him explaining my results. (In CA they don't even let you know).

Everyone has been kind, friendly, and eager to welcome us (especially after we got ND plates on the car). I'd say that'd be the first thing one should do when one moves here - that way people know you're HERE for the long haul, not just testing the waters.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:50 PM

7 posts, read 10,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowman View Post

She said she was devastated, after 17 years and married to a "native" she was still considered the "outsider."
That's not so unreasonable. Here in the South if you were born up north you will ALWAYS be a Yankee. Always. 60, 70 years here..it doesn't matter. Now your kids who were born here will be considered Southerners as long as they have a Southern accent

Old 01-27-2010, 07:44 AM

122 posts, read 247,050 times
Clannishness isn't a North Dakota thing. We lived in a small town in California that was really clannish. I was trying to get a business going and was shut down - the only customer who was willing to pay was a guy who lived in the Bay Area and just came up to our small town on weekends.

We've been accepted here - in a town of 300+, and no problems.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:39 PM

20 posts, read 21,812 times
One town I would avoid for clannish behavior is New Rockford. About 10 years ago a family moved there and built a brand new restaurant. The whole town was upset about the restaurant potentially putting other restaurants out of business. Eventually the restaurant closed, along with two other restaurants there. The restaurant has had a few different owners, but is currently for sale.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:15 PM

3 posts, read 3,364 times
whats it like down there in that area? im interested in moving to the area where is there to live and things to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota