U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 3,172 times

Advertisements

I read this article and got interested in it.For a long time I think about moving out of NC,but things got rough here with jobs so I couldn't.I am foreign born,single and am looking for a simple job and humble home.This might be for me.I need help to start,do not need cash or land.If anyone there is willing to help me move from NC,I would like to go there.My name is Edin and my e-mail is [email]krmopilci@hotmail.com[/email],if you would like to get more details about me.Thank you.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 3,157 times
The idea of the coffee shop was to collect the 50k that news buisness were being offered. They attempted to start 2 buisness 100k..It looked to me that they made out on the deal..Did I miss something?? They were given 2 parcels of land and bought a third..They must looked like donald trump to these people..No wonder they became instant outcasts..

Old 02-16-2010, 09:56 AM

19,865 posts, read 18,340,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musa View Post
I read this article and got interested in it.For a long time I think about moving out of NC,but things got rough here with jobs so I couldn't.I am foreign born,single and am looking for a simple job and humble home.This might be for me.I need help to start,do not need cash or land.If anyone there is willing to help me move from NC,I would like to go there.My name is Edin and my e-mail is krmopilci@hotmail.com,if you would like to get more details about me.Thank you.
I guess your post would be more successful in another forum. Nor would I post my e-mail address here, it will receive a lot of spam...

Old 02-16-2010, 10:10 AM

350 posts, read 471,311 times
Some interesting replies so far. Now that I've thought about it more, I can totally understand the people's reaction to the new family. Still, regardless of the circumstances, it's still a sad thing when people who (presumably) want to move here to start fresh are harassed and ran out of town by ungrateful locals. Growing up in Bottineau (a town of around 2300) ND, I never really noticed this mentality. But then again, I left there when I was 19 and was pretty naive at the time.

Anyway, let's keep this thread going!

Old 02-16-2010, 10:28 AM

5,990 posts, read 11,213,325 times
Wow. So many responses from people as far away as Philly, Atlanta, and Portugal.

There are a few points I'd like to make. First of all, for people who ask "why would anyone want to live in a small, northern town?" it's all about different tastes. I could NEVER imagine why anyone would want to live in Philly or suburban Atlanta, dealing with the high cost of living, high crime, traffic, stress, congestion, long commutes, lack of green space, and other ills associated with major metropolitan areas. Some people actually LIKE small towns, knowing everybody, having peace and quiet instead of constant noise and a long, traffic choked commute. Some prefer nature, hunting, and fishing to bars, clubs, movie theaters, and other big city activities.

Also, as far as the weather: many people enjoy cold winters and four seasons. I know I would lose my mind if I had to live somewhere where the only seasons are "hot" and "hotter."

As far as the cliquey atmosphere, you can find the same thing in "upscale" suburban subdivisions with cookie-cutter houses and homeowners associations.

I apologize for not joining in on the North Dakota bashfest, but I'm one of the few who actually like the Upper Midwest and plan on making a life there. So all of you can keep your big city cages, I'll take beautiful small town ND.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:30 AM

9,807 posts, read 12,922,467 times
On a link I read, they also stated they preferred to keep to themselves in their free time.

Was that because of unfriensly people or did they percieve people as unfriendly cuz they preferred to keep to themselves.

Also ,regarding people suspecting he was a drug dealer-------ariiving from Miami for free land and free money-------driving a Lexus,golden necklaces, Rolex wach------I would suspect the same.

I would presume he was either a drug dealer needing a new location or a professional con man looking for suckers to fleece.

Two mistakes made here------the town for not checking that guy out closer before making the offer-------the guy from Miami for being clueless about moving to a small town.

Yup, sounds like that guy from Miami made out real good $$$$ as he left ND.

Maybe my hunch about a con man is accurate !

Old 02-16-2010, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 3,107 times
I can understand the locals being...., wary. I live in Los Angeles...., if I could find some quiet at sub-zero, I'd be thrilled- the big cities are no way, to live, you really cannot trust, anyone. The "usual" business models (small retail, coffee shops etc.) aren't a solution here- finding a good way to get plenty of fresh produce to the area would be my first choice of action, and from there, I'd try something else, something different... there's got to be...., some inherent value that can be developed for the good of the locals, and for(decent)investors. Re: news article- Floridians leaving- they were looking for some unrealistic solution to their situation(opening retail biz in town, not..., a good idea..., unless it offered "real" opportunity for the residents. And, if chains, fancy cars, and plastic surgery are what you're life is about, you may not want to move into a town where people are really people. And please, you wouldn't want to move in next me either. (I'm too ugly

Old 02-16-2010, 10:58 AM

947 posts, read 3,177,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericny12345 View Post
The idea of the coffee shop was to collect the 50k that news buisness were being offered. They attempted to start 2 buisness 100k..It looked to me that they made out on the deal..Did I miss something?? They were given 2 parcels of land and bought a third..They must looked like donald trump to these people..No wonder they became instant outcasts..
After reading about how the family presented themselves, Im not entirely surprised either..

Old 02-16-2010, 11:05 AM

246 posts, read 904,667 times
I look at it this way, if you showed up at my doorstep looking like someone from "Deliverance", guess what, I would treat you the same as I would have treated Mr. Gold Chains and Rolex, with the common human respect that everyone is due upon first meeting. Now if you act like a jerk, then guess what, you'll get that treatment afterwards, regardless if you have some of your teeth, or all of them with a few gold ones.

As a community, if you are the one who is in need of people in the community, then there should be a common theme through the community as an friendly welcoming place to outsiders. After all, you want them there. And assuming they are not jerks, an effort should be made. Sounds like not everyone was on-board for this, and this was the end result.

Again, this is assuming the situation as stated by the family is true, as afterall, there are 2 sides to every story.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:22 AM

19,865 posts, read 18,340,994 times
Why did nobody else want to move there, despite the free stuff?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or