U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 09:19 AM

3 posts, read 23,389 times
Default Oil Field man Camps

Hi everyone! does anyone know of any of these military-style barracks in or near the oil and gas fields of williston, stanley or tioga ND?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 11:20 AM

914 posts, read 2,384,536 times
I know many of the service companies in Williston have small ones at their place of businesses. Temporary I believe until they can find permanent housing. I have read some of the city commission minutes for Williston, and there are some in the works. One is located and is expanding just south-east of Williston near Sabin Metals (across the track) It is rumored that Halliburton is moving in portable housing for some of their new 100's of workers they are bringing in this spring, but I don't know this for fact. But the upcoming city commission meeting on Feb. 23, one of the agenda's is more land deals with Halliburton (who is in the middle of a 20million dollar expansion...some said they are now purchasing land for a large man camp)

Old 02-23-2010, 12:09 AM

122 posts, read 327,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanrb2003 View Post
Hi everyone! does anyone know of any of these military-style barracks in or near the oil and gas fields of williston, stanley or tioga ND?
There are no barracks. The "oil field" is actually an area that is about 500 square miles, and the drilling rigs are scattered throughout the area. If you do find work on a rig, you will be traveling to the site, and staying for two weeks or more in the bunk house in the middle of nowhere. When you are on off weeks, you will need to have a place to live. There is no available housing, either. Most apartment complexes have very long waiting lists and the motels do too. There are some houses being built for $250-350k+ that will sharply decline in value if the oil boom subsides, so those houses are tough to unload.

So, what the oil companies are doing is moving PODs (military-style portable housing units) into existing and former trailer park sites and RV sites. This basically means, unless you have already been hired and are requested to report to work in the area, you will not find housing unless your company provides it to you. Either that, or bring an camper/RV and pray you can find a site to hook it up. RVing in ND in Winter can be challenging, and damaging to your RV. (When it is below zero, lots of moisture usually accumulates inside your camper/RV.)

Right now there are plenty of homeless people living in cars, trucks and on other peoples sofas with little hope of finding a place to stay. The few homeless shelters (in the larger towns) are overwhelmed to the point they cannot provide any help whatsoever.

Some in this forum will probably come along and disagree with what I've told you, (and I'll leave it up to you to figure out why,) but this is what is going on right now in the area from Minot west to Willston, and south to Dickinson and even Bowman. This includes any towns along the way like Stanley, Tioga, Killdeer and Belfield. The same can be said for western Montana, as well. Sidney & Fairview are full.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:07 PM

Halliburton's plan for another man camp in Williston was pushed back to the March 15 Williston City Commission. Hopefully it will get approved so they can get some portables in by spring...early summer.

info at the bottom of this news article from the Williston Herald below:

http://www.willistonherald.com/articles/2010/02/23/news/doc4b8403743a951988757878.txt (broken link)

Old 03-03-2010, 05:13 PM

Williston Herald - Online Edition (http://www.willistonherald.com/articles/2010/03/03/news/doc4b8e91c141db5248495242.txt - broken link)

This is a link to the Williston Herald...article on a "man camp" in the works.
Also, yes, there are man camps hidden and tucked away around Williston. Many are set up by the oil field companies. Depending on who you interview or work for, they would be able to assist you I'm thinking. They don't just advertise and rent out to anyone who comes to town, you would have to probably work for them. I know many have moved in "skids" self contained accomodations. They house up to 4 per unit. Some of the companies I saw were Halliburton, Stallion, Hess, Basin Services...but I'm sure there are others as well. Maybe contact the Williston Chamber of Commerce to get more information. Good Luck.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:08 AM

2 posts, read 22,974 times
I would agree with exactly what you have shared. I also posted some concerns I had regarding the housing issues for the people who are trying so hard to work and provide, but you are right, there is nothing available to these hard committed employees who are experiencing severe harsh weather so they can at least have a job. Its so sad because many of them are home away from home. There basic needs go unmet and yet most of them are working for companies who do not help them. My husband has been working in Tioga for 4 weeks now and hasn't even gotten paid yet. The conditions are horrible. They companies demands are high yet they do not offer any help or decent living help even in the slightest... no wonder their attrition is high... For now it is what it is and my husband will continue to live in these hideous conditions because he needs a job, but as far as moving to Tiogo in the future and living there permanently... no way! Its sad, because my husbands experience is valuable and he likes the work he does, he wants to continue to work for this company but the basic living conditions are so bad he is tempted each day to give up. My heart goes out to each man who is facing these same decisions moment to moment as they are working here. God bless each of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOAD View Post
There are no barracks. The "oil field" is actually an area that is about 500 square miles, and the drilling rigs are scattered throughout the area. If you do find work on a rig, you will be traveling to the site, and staying for two weeks or more in the bunk house in the middle of nowhere. When you are on off weeks, you will need to have a place to live. There is no available housing, either. Most apartment complexes have very long waiting lists and the motels do too. There are some houses being built for $250-350k+ that will sharply decline in value if the oil boom subsides, so those houses are tough to unload.

So, what the oil companies are doing is moving PODs (military-style portable housing units) into existing and former trailer park sites and RV sites. This basically means, unless you have already been hired and are requested to report to work in the area, you will not find housing unless your company provides it to you. Either that, or bring an camper/RV and pray you can find a site to hook it up. RVing in ND in Winter can be challenging, and damaging to your RV. (When it is below zero, lots of moisture usually accumulates inside your camper/RV.)

Right now there are plenty of homeless people living in cars, trucks and on other peoples sofas with little hope of finding a place to stay. The few homeless shelters (in the larger towns) are overwhelmed to the point they cannot provide any help whatsoever.

Some in this forum will probably come along and disagree with what I've told you, (and I'll leave it up to you to figure out why,) but this is what is going on right now in the area from Minot west to Willston, and south to Dickinson and even Bowman. This includes any towns along the way like Stanley, Tioga, Killdeer and Belfield. The same can be said for western Montana, as well. Sidney & Fairview are full.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:39 PM

Update on the Williston "man camp"... looks like it will be a go... they are moving some of the Vancouver Olympic Village housing to Williston.

Olympic complex headed to Williston - MinotDailyNews.com | News, sports, business, jobs - Minot Daily News

Old 07-18-2010, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 17,747 times
Is there a need for food vendors near the man camps?

Old 07-18-2010, 09:46 PM

1,891 posts, read 1,209,268 times
Are any of the companies hiring at this time? If so, what are the requirements?

Old 07-19-2010, 04:25 PM

It sounds like these mancamps are pretty much self contained...they come with community kitchen's and tv rooms, etc... so as as far as vendors? not sure... They say the man camps are secured, so you can't just go into them. So not sure how it would work if a person set up vending outside the secured gates. I'm guessing a person would have to have a vending license from the cities or counties. as far as are there any companies hiring at this time? do you mean for the man camps? or just oil field jobs in general...have no idea for the man camps, but oil field jobs? yes! big time! but like every other post...you will need to go to the North Dakota Job service sites and do your research...and many require you to show up in person to apply. Go on line and check.

Job Service North Dakota

Williston ND - Homepage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota