Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2007, 12:23 PM

50 posts, read 171,115 times

Advertisements

We're moving to ND this month - oh boy, I have so much to do! But, we just can't find somewhere to live from so far away. So, apparently we need to just go there and find somewhere to live. We've decided on Valley City.

It is very scary to just move up there. Knowing we have no where to go. But, if that's the way we have to do it, then we will.

Here's my dilemma: If we come up there with all our stuff, but we have no where to go, what will we do with it all? Is there storage around there? And, if we decided to sell our stuff here and just go there with our essentials, we would have to really start over... And what happens if we come up there and can't find somewhere to live right away? A motel would get expensive. What should I do? Does anyone in that area have advice for me?

We are coming up there to Valley City, and want to look in that city, or a few of the smaller cities around there. (Actually, I kinda like Buffalo. )

Anyway, it makes no sense to stay in California longer as it is too expensive and we really want to get the kids settled and happy before school starts.

Any help and advice is hugely appreciated. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 04:00 PM

158 posts, read 1,084,554 times
Default Apartments in Valley City

Check out Valley Rental. They are a realty and rental company in one. They have quite a few units to choose from in the valley city area. There may be others, this is one I do know of.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:29 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,001,275 times
Snowblind has the right idea for you...Valley City does have a small college Valley City State University so I am sure you can find storage units, esp over the summer. I have been to VC a few times, and always remember it as you go down the hill on I-94 into the Sheyenne River valley and then up the hill past the VC exit as you climb out of the valley. In other words, Valley City does have some topography which other surrounding areas do not. I havent been to Buffalo or nearby towns, but do know that whole western Cass county west of Casselton through Tower city is pretty much lots of farmland. You will find people in those towns very nice and welcoming, but as you stated for living there you would likely have to find some land and build. But do be aware that being in between Fargo and VC would been driving in the winter for supplies....and it would be important to stock up just in case you cannot get out for a few days.

I work at the National Weather Service in Grand Forks, and would like to pass on two links....one is for the 7 day forecast for Valley city from our NWS web site....and the other is a link to North Dakota DOT weather station sites and there is one at Buffalo just north of the Interstate. It will tell you the latest temp and wind so you can get a feel of what weather is like in your future home currently. On other thing...the Sheyenne in VC rarely if ever floods nowadays as there is a dam upstream at Lake Ashtabula which controls downstream flow into town.

NWS forecast for VC:
7-Day Forecast for Latitude 47N and Longitude -98.03W

ND DOT weather sensor map....click on green triangle just east of Valley City:
SCAN Web 5.6 - Regional Map

Good luck and enjoy!

Dan

Old 06-01-2007, 07:29 AM

82 posts, read 258,266 times
DaninEGF hit the nail on the head. If you plan on going to VC in the summer, you'll have zero problem finding short term housing while you look for something more permanent. Since all of the college kids are gone, there's a pile of open rentals, many of which will be glad to give you a very short term lease. Live in a college pad for a month and scope out the possibilities for permanent housing. Good luck, and enjoy the Pizza Corner pizza!

Old 06-01-2007, 09:09 AM

50 posts, read 171,115 times
Thank you, everone!!! These are all great tips! And I just recieved a packet that I sent away for from the Valley City Chamber of Commerce.

Hopefully, everything will fall into place for us. Thank you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota