Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 12:52 PM

559 posts, read 1,466,127 times

Advertisements

I have a job right now, but I am looking for a new one. Working every night until 10 pm and every weekend until 10pm is really putting my social life to 0. And I never see my husband, he comes home around midnight or 1 am and gets weekends off and sometimes he works 8pm to 8am and then we really never see each other. I have applied and applied and APPLIED to jobs here in North Dakota for which I am very much qualified and don't even get a call. I have a feeling it's because they only hire people here that they know or that are son/daughter/friend of so and so. I am just looking for a normal, regular job with normal, regular hours and weekends off. There are many, many jobs and yet, for some reason, I never get call backs and in most cases, never even get an interview. I have probably sent out more resumes in this state than any other I have lived in, is anyone else having this same problem? I mean, I'm glad I have a job but I don't want to risk a marriage and a life outside work just to have a job. I can't afford to quit or go to part time, either. Just curious about how to go about getting a day time job with regular hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 05:33 PM

17 posts, read 60,793 times
I had the same problem. US Bank Service Center just hired me I would suggest there. They have 5am shifts and 1230pm shifts as far as I know. You get benefits with no waiting period and pay starts at 10.58 with a 10% bonus for the 1230 shift. Might be something to look into. You need a HS diploma and no theft, fraud or embezzlement charges.

Also in Fargo and for retail jobs especially you really cant send in applications and expect a callback. You have to go in face to face and fill out an application. For some places go in and ask for a manager and sometimes you can get an interview on the spot. Good luck!

Old 02-11-2010, 10:51 PM

231 posts, read 736,429 times
+1 for meeting face to face with the hiring manager.
where i work now, the only reason i got hired was because i had a friend working here. i'd never worked in a hotel before, so i would have been ignored, even though i have a sales/management degree and many years of customer service and management experience. as i later discovered, the hiring manager (my immediate supervisor) is petty and childish, she behaves like a hall monitor.

in many other places where i've applied, the managers are afraid to hire people who are more qualified (for their jobs) than they are. i've known people who work in these places, know the managers, or know the person who got hired instead of me, and i am almost always a better choice than the incumbent.

do you have a spine? are you confident? spineless wimps are even more afraid of confident applicants. in the end, many of your job-search woes can be traced to a majority of americans having no self-esteem.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:15 AM

246 posts, read 1,006,982 times
what exactly are the skills you have and what exactly is the job you want?

Old 02-12-2010, 02:48 PM

350 posts, read 570,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
what exactly are the skills you have and what exactly is the job you want?
I was wondering this as well. The more info you can provide, the more likely someone will be able to offer good advice.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:08 AM

559 posts, read 1,466,127 times
I have a bachelor's degree in psychology, 2 years experience working in mental health, 5 years experience working in customer service. I use computers on a daily basis, took Microsoft Office course and for some reason I can't even get a secretary position. I even applied to be a teacher's aide at several schools to help with children with emotional disorders, learning disorders, behavior disorders, autism...all of which I have exprience in. I have even worked in schools before. I applied to about 4 of those jobs and never even got a call back. The only requirement was a high school diploma, I didn't put that I had a degree, was afraid that would look too overqualified but whoever got that job is making more with just a high school diploma than I am with a college degree and experience. Also, North Dakota jobs don't seem to pay as much. Is this because of the economy? I'm not sure.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:42 AM

17 posts, read 60,793 times
Places to try might be Village Family Services, Lutheran Family Services, CCRI inc, Meritcare's EDI program, Prairie St Johns. Again go into these places and make face to face contact or your application will go into a pile under someone's desk. the reason jobs pay less is because the cost of living is lower than most places. A 2 bedroom here is say $550 (any neighborhood is 'safe')where in California a 2 bedroom in a safe neighborhood would be between $950 and $1200.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:42 PM

231 posts, read 736,429 times
you still haven't mentioned where you are

Old 02-13-2010, 09:37 PM

350 posts, read 570,144 times
I worked as a teacher's aide last year at Bell Elementary in Minot. They had just become a part of Minot Public last year and my starting wage was $8.55, nearly $4 less than Nedrose school was paying at the time. I have a teaching degree in Elementary Ed, but the job was definitely open to anyone with a high school diploma. Basically, I just dropped off my app. at the school, made the effort to call back to show I had interest, and came in for an interview a few days later.

Have you tried calling any of the places you applied at to express interest or to ask about the position? If not, you might have more luck finding a job this way. Every job I've gotten in ND required I be proactive about applying.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:58 AM

246 posts, read 1,006,982 times
looking at your info, seems you are somewhere in the south still, is that correct?

As the need of places may be more immediate, they probably are going to look for talent local first. It may be that if you really want to live up here, you may need to move up here first.

As for pay, ND jobs don't pay as much as other places since the cost of living isn't as much either. In general from what I have experienced, my pay has gone up quite well as I have gotten more experience in the position at the company. I took a pretty big paycut to move here myself, but now I live a better life and can afford more things than before when I was making about 25k more.

Making 100K a year means absolutely nothing if things cost as if you are making 200k a year.

favorite phrase my nephew said to me when he was looking for work in Florida, guess its a common one down there, "they like to pay you in sunshine".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota