U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2010, 06:47 PM

7 posts, read 15,636 times

Advertisements

What is Bismarck culturally more like, a midwestern city or a western city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 09:36 AM

555 posts, read 1,435,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter-123-Yesiree View Post
What is Bismarck culturally more like, a midwestern city or a western city?
Define the difference?

I don't believe there are any western "cities" any more... anything that you'd call a "city" will be too large to still be western, it's going to have modernized past the majority of people walking around town in cowboy boots, hats, and bull riding belt buckles.

Or do you want to go location whys and call Western the Pacific Coast tree huggers where everyone loves everyone, believes in anarchy, and wants to protect the Great Mother against technology?

In either case, Bismarck is midwestern. Bismarck is just like any other city in the midwest... most people live in town, most people work city jobs either behind a desk or in a service industry. Like all of ND, Bismarck is very conservative, so you can probably leave the tree hugging, gay rights, and political activism at the border if that's what you were asking.

If you want a western "city" stick to the small towns in ND. Once you get away from Government towns like Bismarck, college towns like Grand Forks and Fargo, and Military towns like Grand Forks (again) and Minot... you'll be left with towns that are mostly reliant on farmers and whatever service industries they need to support them. The exception may be some of the energy (oil) towns like Williston but a lot of that happened after I left the state.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:01 AM

42 posts, read 102,755 times
Dunno about Bismarck, but Fort Worth, TX probably still has a signif. percentage of people w/ cowboy boots, hats, etc... even in the downtown office buildings. You should've seen this one lawyer in my office building: western cut suits, boots, hat, saddle-leather bags, and a big Dodge dualie.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:08 AM

979 posts, read 3,359,406 times
scooter... I tend to agree with nemmert...you really don't find any "western" towns anymore. I know Miles City, Montana promotes themselves as a western city...but most of the reason they exist is because of farming and ranching that takes place in their region. They use the western theme to promote themselves. Mandan also tries, and even tried to convince stores to remodel with a western theme to set themselves apart from Bismarck as a community...but in the end, Mandan is still just a midwestern town like the rest of us. The only cowboy hats you see in any North Dakota town (like any midwestern town) is when a farmer or rancher comes to town to shop or do business. You just don't see too many people in Bismarck walking around with cowboy hats on. You see more professional business men and women walking around in business suits and attire than people in cowboy hats...lol

Old 04-10-2010, 02:41 PM

7 posts, read 15,636 times
Default Thanks for your replies

Thanks, you guys helped a lot, I'm sorry I wasn't more specific with the questiion. This was exactly what I wanted to know; were people more geared towards dressing in western ranch style attire versus midwestern farmer style attire. I haven't been to North Dakota since 1980 and I'm considering relocating. I do remember there was a difference in styles and attitudes of the folks from Fargo compared to the folks from Watford City and I wanted to know which way Bismarck leaned.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:28 AM

979 posts, read 3,359,406 times
lol...scooter...Bismarck definately leans more towards Fargo than Watford...no offense intended towards Watford...but Watford City is pretty western as is Killdeer...but not in a bad way...when I said there are no western towns in North Dakota...I take that back... both Watford and Killdeer are very proud of their western ranching heritage...and many people in those towns show it as well as live it...IN A GOOD WAY!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota