U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2010, 11:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,771 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Valley City this fall (yay! College!) and will need to switch cell phone providers because I'm currently on an Alaskan only carrier. I was hoping someone could tell me which carrier has the best coverage for talk, and 3G type usage. Right now I'm looking at Sprint and AT&T primarily because of other reviews but would rather use TMobile if they have good coverage.

Let me know who you use? And what you think? Are there local cell companies that are better? If on the college campus do I really need mobile web?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 05:08 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,773,603 times
The best coverage in North Dakota is by far Verizon. I live in Illinois but will be relocating to North Dakota in the next year or so. I've driven all over the state several times and believe their coverage is the best.

I would like to get an Iphone, but don't want to switch from Verizon because of my future move to NoDak. Iphones are only available through AT&T, but that might change in the future.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:19 AM

350 posts, read 507,399 times
Verizon and alltel are the two major providers here, and alltel is owned by Verizon if that tells you anything.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:33 AM

4,817 posts, read 9,869,096 times
I agree....Verizon is all over the area up here. The more national AT&T and Sprint are making some in roads but are more so limited to major cities. I also know these companies can use other carrier towers. My best advice will be to call the companies you are interested in and inquire about Valley City.

Dan

Old 04-13-2010, 10:23 AM

4,817 posts, read 9,869,096 times
I checked on coverage maps for Spring and AT&T....but could not copy a link here for you.

There is good coverage it appears along I-94 from Fargo to Jamestown (incl Valley City).

Now as for AT&T...coverage is ND is very spotty at best and there is no 3G coverage. I looked at thecoverage map on the webpage but could not copy a link to it.

Verizon is by far the best choice for most consistent coverage....but if you do want the others do call them first before transferring.

Dan

Old 04-13-2010, 08:55 PM

625 posts, read 1,719,945 times
The main 2 are Alltel and Verizon. No Sprint or AT&T here.

We've had Alltel for about 14 years. Our best friends have Verizon, mainly because that's what both their employers had and most of the people they work with also have Verizon.

We like Alltel because of the 'calling circle' or 'friends & family' or whatever it's called. With our plan we enter the 10 most commonly called numbers for each phone (hubby has some different #s than mine) and calls to them are free. Calls are also free to other Altell users and during certain evening & weekend hours free to everyone. Most of our relatives have Alltel, so we use out 10 #s for closest friends who have Verizon.

We have 900 min, but usually only use a 200-300 per month after subtracting off the calling circle numbers, other Alltel users and eve/weekend calls.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:28 PM

122 posts, read 388,764 times
We've got Verizon for both cell phones and internet. We've been with Verizon for many many years and the coverage here in North Dakota has been great, in fact better than when we were in CA.

We've got more minutes than we can use a month - but with the "In" network we can call all of our friends who have Verizon for free - and we've got the "friends and family" calling plan with 10 numbers, plus evenings and weekends are free. Most of the people we know here and in CA are on Verizon.

The internet service is problematic - they limit you to 5 gig a month for $60. I keep squawking about it - it would actually be cheaper to use our blackberries as "modems" - but we're tied in to a 2 year contract on the internet and since we're so rural there's nothing else. Hopefully in the future something will change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota