Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2010, 05:01 PM

17 posts, read 47,851 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am thinking of possibly moving to Jamestown this year to attend Jamestown College. I was wondering if you guys could give me some details on how Jamestown is. I am pretty sure I want to live in an apartment and heard rent in ND is generally cheap. One of my softball teammates is going to move to Mayville this year to play softball up there and she visited and said most of the time it is cold which temperatures in the negatives at times. So hopefully you guys can let me know what it is like. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 09:02 PM

394 posts, read 1,169,473 times
Jamestown is very nice. Right in the middle of everything.

I own rentals. Houses usually rent for $500-$900 a month depending on size and condition.

Apartments rent for $350-$1000 (several new ones have been built).

The economy here has stayed fairly steady with some of the companies having layoffs. Some have started to bring back workers.

Lots of outdoor recreation in the area. Camping, boating, fishing, hunting, etc.....

J.C. is a great school and you should enjoy it.

Any further questions please ask.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:16 PM

Thanks Corbay. Have u attended Jamestown College before? & Damn I live in San Diego, CA and just for a studio aptmnt. it can be from $700-$900. I am lookin to live near the college like walking distance. Would u possibly know any areas close?

Old 05-24-2010, 08:44 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,002,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizzle View Post
Hello, I am thinking of possibly moving to Jamestown this year to attend Jamestown College. I was wondering if you guys could give me some details on how Jamestown is. I am pretty sure I want to live in an apartment and heard rent in ND is generally cheap. One of my softball teammates is going to move to Mayville this year to play softball up there and she visited and said most of the time it is cold which temperatures in the negatives at times. So hopefully you guys can let me know what it is like. Thanks.
I havent been to Jamestown much....so cant help you there. But I can help you with weather as that is my current job.

Here is a link to normals...
Historical Climate Data Summaries - High Plains Regional Climate Center

As for cold most of the time....it really all depends on what is cold. I see you are from the San Diego area...and our area has much more rapid variations in weather day to day and month to month that along the west coast. That is a given. We tend to have short springs and falls...summers can have several warm to hot spells and it can be quite humid at times too. June to August typically would have highs 75 to 85 with a few 90s in there...with lows 55 to 65 typically. A few nights warmer and cooler can be expected. September and October will see a cool down...most noticeable in October as the first frost/freeze can be expected in later half of Sept or early Oct and the first snow to stick in late October. Some years a bit earlier....some years may not get first real snow until mid November. From about Thanksgiving to March 1st....snow is on the ground majority of the time. There can be frequent periods of lows below zero....with high temperatures typically in January 5 to 15 above and lows 5 to 20 below. In most years...there is usually an outbreak with low temps down around 30 below for a night or two...but that extreme cold doesnt last long. Snowmelt begins in earnest by mid March and trees/shrubs green up mid to late April to mid May (depending on the spring as spring weather can be quite variable).

Wind is a huge factor and is almost constant....from the south or north most days. North winds in the winter can lower wind chills to -30s and -40s and cause blowing and drifting snow and local blizzard conditions. Our snow is often very dry and can blow around easily. We dont get a lot of snowfall most years...but enough cold temperatures to keep the snowpack on the ground most of the winter.

--Dan

Old 05-24-2010, 05:58 PM

394 posts, read 1,169,473 times
Brizzle,
There are several apartments close to the college. Contact Better Homes Property Managment @ 701-252-8880. They manage a fair chunk of the apartments in town. I will tell you not to bother looking until you are ready to move. The market is quite tight and things go quickly, so no sense in finding something you like now, because it will be gone when you get here. I would also advise you to get here a little early in order to secure a place.

No I haven't attended J.C., but am very active in the community, and know the Dean and other admininstrators / professors.

Best of luck!

Old 06-06-2010, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
I havent been to Jamestown much....so cant help you there. But I can help you with weather as that is my current job.

Here is a link to normals...
Historical Climate Data Summaries - High Plains Regional Climate Center

As for cold most of the time....it really all depends on what is cold. I see you are from the San Diego area...and our area has much more rapid variations in weather day to day and month to month that along the west coast. That is a given. We tend to have short springs and falls...summers can have several warm to hot spells and it can be quite humid at times too. June to August typically would have highs 75 to 85 with a few 90s in there...with lows 55 to 65 typically. A few nights warmer and cooler can be expected. September and October will see a cool down...most noticeable in October as the first frost/freeze can be expected in later half of Sept or early Oct and the first snow to stick in late October. Some years a bit earlier....some years may not get first real snow until mid November. From about Thanksgiving to March 1st....snow is on the ground majority of the time. There can be frequent periods of lows below zero....with high temperatures typically in January 5 to 15 above and lows 5 to 20 below. In most years...there is usually an outbreak with low temps down around 30 below for a night or two...but that extreme cold doesnt last long. Snowmelt begins in earnest by mid March and trees/shrubs green up mid to late April to mid May (depending on the spring as spring weather can be quite variable).

Wind is a huge factor and is almost constant....from the south or north most days. North winds in the winter can lower wind chills to -30s and -40s and cause blowing and drifting snow and local blizzard conditions. Our snow is often very dry and can blow around easily. We dont get a lot of snowfall most years...but enough cold temperatures to keep the snowpack on the ground most of the winter.

--Dan
Thanks Dan, yeah moving from SD is a major change. I mean it barely rains here 3 days in a row. lol. I heard you guys have 8 months of winter basically. So if I am playing softball I am assuming I will most likely be playing during the snow meltdowns. I can't even imagine being in the -30's I think the coldest I experienced is like 54 degrees.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbay View Post
Brizzle,
There are several apartments close to the college. Contact Better Homes Property Managment @ 701-252-8880. They manage a fair chunk of the apartments in town. I will tell you not to bother looking until you are ready to move. The market is quite tight and things go quickly, so no sense in finding something you like now, because it will be gone when you get here. I would also advise you to get here a little early in order to secure a place.

No I haven't attended J.C., but am very active in the community, and know the Dean and other admininstrators / professors.

Best of luck!
Yeah if decide to go I will probably head out there in mid August to find a place and a job. Thank you for the reference. I probably should live on campus my first year just to get involved but we shall see. I kind of want to live on my own.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:30 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,161,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizzle View Post
Yeah if decide to go I will probably head out there in mid August to find a place and a job. Thank you for the reference. I probably should live on campus my first year just to get involved but we shall see. I kind of want to live on my own.
When I went to Mt State U, I lived on campus the first year (it was still required for freshmen back then) and I'm glad I did. It's a different perspective without having the bother of maintaining a whole household while you're also transitioning to the college life. Also I think it does put you closer to the college and its people, gets you involved as you said. And it's so much easier to trot across campus to consult a professor than it is to get in your car and drive across town.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:01 AM

415 posts, read 560,598 times
I also attended MSU in 1971/2 for my freshman year only (I lived in Culbertson Hall), and then transferred to McGill University in Montreal. I enjoyed my year at MSU, which was by far my best academic year (although each quarter, I'd always get one "B", which kept me from getting a 4.0 GPA, usually in the Honors Chem course I was taking.) I transferred to McGill for essentially economic reasons; my first year there, my aunt and grandmother offered to put me up for free in their apartment within a comfortable commuting distance of McGill. I joined a fraternity shortly after I arrived at McGill (Sigma Chi), and spent the remainder of my university time there living in the fraternity house right on the campus. Due to the nature of a fraternity, my room and board expenses were quite minimal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota