Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 05:42 AM

6 posts, read 6,676 times

Advertisements

My husband, 2 kids, dog and I are relocating to Fargo in 6 weeks, as my husband works on his PhD at NDSU. We will only be in Fargo 2 years and are looking for a nice 3+ (hopefully 4-5) bedroom single family detached home with garage, fenced yard, and dog in a good neighborhood. Price range not important; we just want a nice place to call home. I am having difficulty getting leads on single family homes (we are not interested in duplexes or apartments). Any leads or help is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 08:55 AM

13 posts, read 45,673 times
North Dakota is not very receptive to renters with pets. Unlike other states, its kind of the norm not to rent to renters with pets.

I understand the owners perspective, but it does make it difficult on people like you who are not staying long enough to put down roots.

Also, a lot things are done by word of mouth, including rentals. Maybe someone at NDSU can help you locate a place?

Old 05-24-2010, 10:34 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
Hi

I have more experience in the grand forks area....but like Fargo it can be quite difficult to find a single family home for rent. Most are bought....and the few that are rented out are mostly the older ones. Your best bet to help you start....is to contact one of the property management companies in Fargo. Even if they dont rent SFH, they may guide you to someone who has listings. Craiglist is more popular now and I have seen several on craiglist-fargo. Also try the Forum classified. Some SFH for rent are not listed anywhere....but only known if you drive around.

Property Management in Fargo, ND on Yahoo! Local

Dan

Old 05-24-2010, 01:01 PM

Thank you for the info. I will look into this. I was told I need a snowblower too! (I am coming from the South and don't even own a snow shovel).

Old 05-24-2010, 01:25 PM

231 posts, read 736,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshatzkin View Post
My husband, 2 kids, dog and I are relocating to Fargo in 6 weeks, as my husband works on his PhD at NDSU. We will only be in Fargo 2 years
Two years for a PhD? You must be new to academia.
Quote:
Price range not important
Wrong assertion; price range is very important. Unless you're hemorrhaging money, figure out how much you can afford before you start looking. If you are expecting such a big house for a rental, I suggest you contact Coldwell Banker (http://fmrealestate.com/apartments/ - broken link) or another property management company. Based on homes in the size that you want, you will be living in a dilapidated hovel, or you'll find minimal options. It is unlikely that you'll find a home like what it seems you are expecting as a rental unit. If you want nice, buy a house, don't rent.

Consider a condo. Exterior maintenance in the winter is not something most people are prepared to handle. Having a snow-blower is only a small part of owning a home. Getting out and actually using it is another. Yard maintenance is another issue, expect to spend $20-50 per week to cut the grass if you aren't willing to mow; that alone adds about $100-200 per month to your home.

Consider all costs of both the house and the things that go along with it (schools, roads around your home, traffic).

Old 05-24-2010, 09:19 PM

177 posts, read 425,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshatzkin View Post
Thank you for the info. I will look into this. I was told I need a snowblower too! (I am coming from the South and don't even own a snow shovel).
What you heard was right, actually a snowthrower might work out better for you than a snowblower. It might takes days using a snowblower when it comes to snow in ND, specifically, Fargo.

Unless you have a garage, think about plugging your car if you parked outside overnight when it comes to winter time.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acfreema View Post
Two years for a PhD? You must be new to academia.

Wrong assertion; price range is very important.

Consider all costs of both the house and the things that go along with it (schools, roads around your home, traffic).
First: Definitely not new to academia. Not all research and study during PhD is done physically at the school and is often completed with fellowships elsewhere. And that is not anyone's concern for our housing issue anyway. My point is: it does not make sense to buy if in a location 2 years. We are risking losing money.

Second: MY priorities and values are what I listed. Price range is important, but not as important as having enough room for my family in a decent area. I need to find what is available, then determine our affordability, which is our concern. I just want leads to what is available.

Third: I am very capable of running households and moving often (we have been military 20 years). I know how to weigh options and budget. I didn't ask for advice on that. I simply want leads on available rentals. I know how to determine costs and move my family within our range. That has nothing to do with my request.

Thank you to the others who gracioulsy provide real resources. I appreciate it.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:19 PM

231 posts, read 736,549 times
The information I offered was stuff that is pertinent to this area. You aren't likely to find many decent homes that are very large and for rent (especially if you plan to bring an animal).

Because you aren't from this area, it behooves you to understand what the area is like during and because of the winters. There are many places where the roads are in ruins or full of large holes, there are places that are nearly inaccessible during significant portions of winter. Snow removal is a very important hurdle for many people, be prepared, don't come here thinking you can just shrug it off; heck, living with the kind of snowfall we have here is not something most people are willing to handle. Did anyone mention the 30+ days of 0* F weather we have each winter?

You NEED to know these things before you move here. I have met many people that came to Concordia very excited to study with some of the phenomenal faculty, but a significant quantity left after a year (sometimes just a semester) because of how awful winter is.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:47 PM

979 posts, read 3,669,286 times
jshatzkin... I do not live in the Fargo area, but am confident you will find what you are looking for. The winters can be brutal at times, but seriously, a little exaggerated...not any worse than what other northern tier states experience (like northern Minnesota, Michigan, New York, etc...) except places like Michigan and New York get a LOT more snow. Hopefully you will find something with a garage. Good Luck, and Welcome to North Dakota...I think you will find it a pretty good place to live while you are finishing up your PHD...once you get to North Dakota, there will be plenty of people to help you through your first winter...after one winter, you will be a pro at it...even we natives complain and struggle through them each year...but we survive and continue to live here...lol

Old 05-26-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acfreema View Post
).

Because you aren't from this area, it behooves you to understand what the area is like during and because of the winters. Did anyone mention the 30+ days of 0* F weather we have each winter?

You NEED to know these things before you move here.
Thanks for the advice. I lived in the plains of rural Wyoming for 18 years. I know a little bit about preparing for crappy roads, snow, bitter cold and wind. Granted, the last several years I have thawed in the South, but one does not forget those winters of subzero weather. Right now, I am just looking for a home for my family. The rest I am sure I can handle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota