Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 05:03 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times

Advertisements

West Pittston is not thriving because of the suspicious and paranoid behavior of the people who live there. Their suspicion and paranoia in totally
indefensible. Just try to defend it - cause you can not defend what happened to us. We had MORE than the needed down payment and our credit soared above the others.

But we were outsiders, White outsiders.So we really do not have an organization to come to our defense.
And when asked if we knew anyone in a local "parish" we could not. We are Protestant and do not call our places of worship "Parishes"

This gut wanted a certain type of person and WE WERE NOT IT!
Whu are these small towns not dong well????

VERY SIMPLE!

Had I gone to a builder in Back Mountain, Mountain Top or the Abingtons - or the Poconos for that matter - people with our creds would have been welcomed with open arms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 06:32 PM

483 posts, read 555,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Had I gone to a builder in Back Mountain, Mountain Top or the Abingtons - or the Poconos for that matter - people with our creds would have been welcomed with open arms.
Completly agree with your post. But I don't understand this part.. ^

Most of these people have a back woods hick mentality. I say that and I grew up here. I don't live here full time anymore. It's a beautiful place to live. But the people rank very low every time they're rated on the best places to live. They say they're friendly. But that doesn't make it so.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:48 AM

6,796 posts, read 9,347,476 times
I don't think it's the ONLY reason why some of these towns are dying, but it could be part of it. Sorry to hear about your bad experience, but it's probably a blessing in disguise that this particular property didn't work out for you.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:01 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
West Pittston is not thriving because of the suspicious and paranoid behavior of the people who live there.
LOL, you make this assertion based on what?

Define thriving, explain what you mean.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:20 PM

thriving - growing, retaining it's young attracting new people.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:24 PM

check out city data on West Pittston.
Population is going down.
It also made the "highest number of deaths' list.
So old blood is not being replaced with new.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:08 PM

West Pittston is fully developed with nearly all the homes occupied, there is no room for anyone to move there unless they are going to existing house. The population will increase when some of the older people start dying off. For example on my street we have 3 neighbors that have been there since before I was born, each of them live in homes that could support very large families. When people buy a home in WP they usually end up staying until they die.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:52 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,085,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
West Pittston is fully developed with nearly all the homes occupied, there is no room for anyone to move there unless they are going to existing house. The population will increase when some of the older people start dying off. For example on my street we have 3 neighbors that have been there since before I was born, each of them live in homes that could support very large families. When people buy a home in WP they usually end up staying until they die.
what about all the rentals--saw a few there that no one in their right mind would rent and i was told by other locals--"oh,the good rentals are word of mouth--it keeps out the ones we don't want out of here"----wp in the 60's WAS the more wealthy town in this area--therefore many people that lived there looked down on those living in poorer towns-and strangers-------unfortunately that attitude still exsists today---i have been in backward very poor southern towns where accepting strangers was a quality that the people there expressed freely-------makes one wonder that if some of these westpitts peeple were to be more open they may find out that others out there may be as or more"special"than they themselves think they are

Old 06-24-2010, 06:20 PM

Most of the property in WP is going to be owned by the occupants.

Quote:
-"oh,the good rentals are word of mouth--it keeps out the ones we don't want out of here"
We have a small house on our lot that has been vacant for about 5 years, it's not for rent to anyone so I guess we're prejudiced against everyone. If you have a nice place and rent it to just anyone you're really taking a chance on getting it thrashed. My uncle had a nice rental in Plymouth and it got thrashed three times. Anything we ever rented was within the family or very close friends. I guess I'm an uppity West Pisstonian for wanting to preserve my investment.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:23 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,085,863 times
you expressed what i said--so just anyone is someone that the owner or his immediate family do not know and never met before----and to assume a stranger will trash your house cause of past renters is not valid--one then profiles all renters that are strangers as not acceptable---very typical of this area(and ONLY this area)---i can say that after traveling thruout this country and becoming acquainted with people from a large sampling of the states-------------i cannot say if you r an uppity west pittstonian(my own close relatives live there and r not)--but that attitude still exsists in people much younger than myself sadly---was expressed to me at a recent local event

Last edited by auntieannie68; 06-25-2010 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania