U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 01:56 PM

1,974 posts, read 3,233,768 times
Default farmers Market opens today in downtown Wilkes-Barre

Wilkes-Barre's anual farmers market kicked off today on Public Square in downtown Wilkes-Barre. It runs every Thursday from now until mid November. It's always a good time, great food, music ect, fruits and veggies galore. I think it is one of Wilkes-Barre's best attributes. Enjoy! I know I will. Here's a link http://www.wilkes-barre.pa.us/farmersm.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 02:09 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,259,046 times
I was going to head over, but then it started raining at lunchtime! Oh well, there's always next week. I've been craving the Amish cookies and pumpkin whoopie pies for months!

Old 06-24-2010, 03:25 PM

207 posts, read 382,614 times
I was there today and it was really nice. I thought most of the fruits, vegetables and flowers looked great and were all selling at good prices. There was a nice variety of food to purchase for lunch and I feel like I'll need to go back every week just to try everything! The only thing I got that was disappointing was the shoofly pie from Emma's Bakery stand. It was $6 and supposed to be "wet-bottom." It wasn't and was virtually flavorless. I should have made my own! Other than that, I thought it was a great day at the Farmer's Market!

Old 06-24-2010, 05:53 PM

3,614 posts, read 2,611,284 times
stop a t brace's orchard stand(family plug)

Old 06-24-2010, 08:22 PM

I wasn't able to get down there today, was the fountain on?

Old 06-24-2010, 08:34 PM

935 posts, read 1,505,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsynative View Post
I was there today and it was really nice. I thought most of the fruits, vegetables and flowers looked great and were all selling at good prices. There was a nice variety of food to purchase for lunch and I feel like I'll need to go back every week just to try everything! The only thing I got that was disappointing was the shoofly pie from Emma's Bakery stand. It was $6 and supposed to be "wet-bottom." It wasn't and was virtually flavorless. I should have made my own! Other than that, I thought it was a great day at the Farmer's Market!
What is shoofly pie?

Old 06-25-2010, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxy38 View Post
What is shoofly pie?
Im not an expert, but I think it is a molasses based custard pie created by the amish. It is really good. It is like pecan pie without the pecans sorta. If you like the taste of brown sugar and molasses, you'd proably love it.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:10 AM

207 posts, read 382,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxy38 View Post
What is shoofly pie?
lol It's a Pennsylvania Dutch treat that is a cake made with molasses and topped with crumbs like the ones on a white crumb pie. My preference is the "wet bottom" which has a thin layer on the crust before the cake part that is not quite liquid, but not solid and it really adds to the cake. It isn't a custard-type cake nor is it like a pecan pie. It's yummy! If you find a small one, try it. As long as you like molasses, you will like it. Just don't get it from the stand I mentioned previously. I could share my recipe if you like to bake.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:36 AM

935 posts, read 1,505,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
Im not an expert, but I think it is a molasses based custard pie created by the amish. It is really good. It is like pecan pie without the pecans sorta. If you like the taste of brown sugar and molasses, you'd proably love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsynative View Post
lol It's a Pennsylvania Dutch treat that is a cake made with molasses and topped with crumbs like the ones on a white crumb pie. My preference is the "wet bottom" which has a thin layer on the crust before the cake part that is not quite liquid, but not solid and it really adds to the cake. It isn't a custard-type cake nor is it like a pecan pie. It's yummy! If you find a small one, try it. As long as you like molasses, you will like it. Just don't get it from the stand I mentioned previously. I could share my recipe if you like to bake.
I dont bake but I do like how this cake sounds! I do love Pecan pie, warm!!!
YUM YUM YUM!

Old 06-25-2010, 11:32 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,117,307 times
Sorry...off topic, but Millers Restaurant in Lancaster used to have a thing..."Ship a Shoofly"....they also shipped pecan pies...a nice present for that person who loves the stuff and you don't know what to get them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania