Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2007, 07:28 AM

20 posts, read 60,915 times

Advertisements

I just read a post that the commute on 380 from Scranton south is very icy in the winter. We are looking for a rental in Clarks Summit and my huband will commute to the Swiftwater area. He has a 4-wheel drive F-150. I am trying to convince him we need to live closer to his job because of the winter weather but he likes Clarks Summit, and so do I. Is this going to be a commuting nightmare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 07:55 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,095,115 times
I cannot lie it is going to be a nightmare and then you'll have some days that can make a nightmare seem tame. I commuted to Old Bridge NJ for 10 years across 380 and it is bad when the weather is. The area around Gouldsboro and Tobyhanna is the worst, the elevation is higher than Clarks Summit and from Scranton its all uphill till you get to I-80. I honestly have considered 380 some of the worst winter road that I have had to drive on. If you do not have to commute across it then try not to, its not always bad but when they get snow its bad and they get snow when Scranton and Clarks Summit do not. Like I said I traveled 380 twice a day for 10 years if not more.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:12 AM

51 posts, read 330,781 times
I agree
I have traveled 380 for the last 9 years and the weather and road conditions can be quite bad.Especially around the Tobyhanna area.There have been times when you do not think the weather is not that bad until you hit 380! In my experience it calms down again closer to the I 81 connection.I drive an AWD truck and with careful driving I have been okay but I donot think it would be safe without AWD on 380 with snow and especially the ice.
Good Luck

Old 06-21-2007, 03:05 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
My ex-boyfriend lives near Mt. Pocono, and I live in Pittston, so I routinely commuted along I-380 to see him. I'll agree with the others; this is not a roadway to be taken lightly, even with a 4-wheel drive vehicle. The problem with a lot of people in our area is that they automatically assume an SUV or pick-up truck makes them "immune" to icy roads. As such, I'm used to seeing them zip by my car during snow storms at 45-55 miles per hour before they skid a bit and then slow down when they learn their lesson. I drove home from Mt. Pocono during a snow storm once via I-380, and it was the most frightening experience I can ever recall, especially considering
I drive a small front-wheel drive sedan.

I hope your husband isn't one of those "my pick-up can handle anything" types that I despise because one commute along I-380 during a snow storm (or even just a squall) will have him singing a much different tune. I've seen far too many people in the median and stuck on the shoulders in SUVs and pick-ups because they thought it would be a "cakewalk." Don't make that same mistake. Yes, the Clarks Summit area is nice, but "nice" isn't worth risking your life for.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:13 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,656,963 times
If you remember back in March of 1990, singer Gloria Estefan's tour bus crashed on I-380 near Tobyhanna. I think it was due to icy conditions and bad weather. She screwed her back up pretty bad. I agree with everyone else. That interstate gets quite hairy in the winter months. You need to take extreme caution when driving with those conditions.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:07 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,870 times
If you still need more convincing... I agree also. Bad road in bad weather. It's like the armpit of Pa when it comes to bad weather and roads.
Four wheel drive does nothing for you in icy conditions. We have had 4 wheel drive and studded snow tires and would rather have studded snow tires any day. (actucally any winter!) 2 studded tires are good, 4 are even better. I even wear those spiky things on my shoes that ice fisherman wear! Broke my ankle once slipping on the ice...

Old 06-23-2007, 05:59 PM

641 posts, read 2,370,201 times
yeah its always bad. i hate the winters here and i cant wait to move outta here

Old 06-24-2007, 05:29 AM

8 posts, read 28,660 times
I sometimes drive from Scranton to Tobyhanna and I do everything in my power to avoid 380 int he wintertime. It is the snow belt of NEPA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania