Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2016, 11:27 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
Jim, I know you crabbed the piers in Seaside, but have you ever crabbed from the dock ( now called Dock Outfitters) just off the bridge as you turn right to go into Seaside?

They try to discourage the Shoobies from No. Jersey from bringing chicken for bait..

really screws up the whole feeding chain...

I have been bringing freshwater junk fish like carp, suckers, eels etc..and using them for bait..
The crabs LOVE it..I will get three keepers to one for anyone using chicken or saltwater fish.
Yes, crabbed that pier some many years ago (it might have been 'new' then). It must have been built about the time the 'new' entrance to the island was built (and the old wooden brodge trashed). More memories of riding my bike to one of the (many) bait shops, picking up a container of frozen spearing ($.25 IIRC), going to any pier between the bridge and IBSP and sitting on a piling bobber fishing for snappers with light tackle at dawn. Loads of fun. Tourists would always come by and watch and chat ;-)

We'd also seine net fresh bait and crabs in the bay, caring to avoid stepping on crabs, horseshoes and debris underfoot as we waded.

Apologies to the NEPA folks who have no interest in NJ shore stuff ... we are about done for now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 11:48 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
Hey, jim, I love the NJ shore. For a long time, I went to LBI. Just for a week or two in the Summer but I liked it there. Then the smaller little houses were bought up, torn down, and condos put up in their place.

For the last eight years, we've been going to the Wildwoods and of the four, I like North Wildwood the best. Sadly, we can't always get what we'd like (afford) in N. WW. This year we'll be in the Crest. Not as long a walk across the sand as it is in Wildwood proper, but not as short as the walk in N. WW. But hey, a vacation's a vacation, right?

Growing up in Philadelphia, we had a couple of young women on our block who went to WW every Summer. They got jobs that included a cot in a crummy room and meals, such as they were. But they earned a few bucks and got to hang out in their off-hours on the beach. I was too young but I dreamed of being old enough to go donnashore for the season. I moved away and spent Summers pushing hot dogs and meatball sandwiches at the family marina. sigh

Last edited by theatergypsy; 05-27-2016 at 12:11 PM..

Old 05-27-2016, 11:57 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Hey, jim, I love the NJ shore. For a long time, I went to LBI. Just for a week or two in the Summer but I liked it there. Then the smaller little houses were bought up, town down, and condos put up in their place.

For the last eight years, we've been going to the Wildwoods and of the four, I like North Wildwood the best. Sadly, we can't always get what we'd like (afford) in N. WW. This year we'll be in the Crest. Not as long a walk across the sand as it is in Wildwood proper, but not as short as the walk in N. WW. But hey, a vacations a vacation, right?

Growing up in Philadelphia, we had a couple of young women on our block who went to WW every Summer. They got jobs that included a cot in a crummy room and meals, such as they were. But they earned a few bucks and got to hang out in their off-hours on the beach. I was too young but I dreamed of being old enough to go donnashore for the season. I moved away and spent Summers pushing hot dogs and meatball sandwiches at the family marina. sigh
Every town on the shore is unique and has a personality. I spent many summers along the various beaches. Still occasionally visit SSP and Avalon/SH (a perfect example of radically different places about an hour apart). Many folks from PA still vaca there.

Old 05-27-2016, 02:36 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,234,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Hey, jim, I love the NJ shore. For a long time, I went to LBI. Just for a week or two in the Summer but I liked it there. Then the smaller little houses were bought up, torn down, and condos put up in their place.

For the last eight years, we've been going to the Wildwoods and of the four, I like North Wildwood the best. Sadly, we can't always get what we'd like (afford) in N. WW. This year we'll be in the Crest. Not as long a walk across the sand as it is in Wildwood proper, but not as short as the walk in N. WW. But hey, a vacation's a vacation, right?

I bet you were wishin' and a- hopin' to see Bobbie Rydell...wild wild Wildwood Days.

Old 05-27-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Every town on the shore is unique and has a personality. I spent many summers along the various beaches. Still occasionally visit SSP and Avalon/SH (a perfect example of radically different places about an hour apart). Many folks from PA still vaca there.
my daughter had a fancy wedding to her mainline philly blue blood husband in Cape May Sept. 2013 lovely old Victorian B&B..2013
The place...It was my pick...I had stayed there on a romantic getaway years earlier...

I had to deal with my Son in laws insufferable Eastern shore Maryland parents...both of them about 9 ft. tall.noses even higher into the stratosphere by about 4 inches.

but only for a few hours...adios, whitebreads...back to your yacht and representing the Lokatas pro bono in your retirement to make for all the small people you stepped over on your rise to the top...

but I digress...

Cape May for me is like driving to a foreign counry..still in NJ...but Jeez...21/2 hours?

Give me the places down the shore that I drew first blood on with a filet or clam knife.

Meanwhile, My son in law, along with 5 of his colleagues, won the Pulitzer Prize in Feb 2014 working for the WSJ, penning an expose article about inflated hospital billing practices of hospitals to Medicare.

My daughter is now 35, the free spirited rock n'roll lead/ guitarist singer of an all girl band is now a robotic Stepford Wife.

Old 05-27-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Yes, crabbed that pier some many years ago (it might have been 'new' then). It must have been built about the time the 'new' entrance to the island was built (and the old wooden brodge trashed). More memories of riding my bike to one of the (many) bait shops, picking up a container of frozen spearing ($.25 IIRC), going to any pier between the bridge and IBSP and sitting on a piling bobber fishing for snappers with light tackle at dawn. Loads of fun. Tourists would always come by and watch and chat ;-)

We'd also seine net fresh bait and crabs in the bay, caring to avoid stepping on crabs, horseshoes and debris underfoot as we waded.

Apologies to the NEPA folks who have no interest in NJ shore stuff ... we are about done for now
The Dock still sells frozen Spearing...while crabbing we still fish for Snappers at dawn...as you know, sometimes you would be rewarded with a nice Weakfish or Fluke...always a nice surprise..
Bait shops used to be ubiquitous..now down to a handful...can't compete...

I had to stock up on some tackle at Betty n Nicks weds. could have gotten all the rigs and 'metals' at Wally world or Amazon for 50 bucks...but paid 82 bucks at B&Ns, got my Bunker and my clam. bait there too..

have to keep these places alive..".

J...do you check the daily Betty n Nicks fishing report videos that they put up on Youtube?

my wife was in one last fall with a keeper Striper..she even looks good in Cammie waders.

Old 05-27-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I bet you were wishin' and a- hopin' to see Bobbie Rydell...wild wild Wildwood Days.
That's funny. I never was one for the kid stars. Never an Elvis fan. Paul Anka wasn't an idol. Bobby Rydell and Fabian were children. lol I was more the Francis Albert type. Ella knocked my socks off. You can see that I'm more in the mode of the sophisticated lyric. If Cole Porter wrote it, I like it. Can you believe that I was a huge fan of Hoagy Carmichael? And the Gershwins. Ahhh, the Gershwins. The Beatles did some good work. Paul Simon on his game is stupendous. I think my father was a big influence on my musical tastes.

Old 05-27-2016, 03:34 PM

TG...nice selection...you were always the sophisticate...

my Dad was a Django Rheinhardt de votée as well as Alvino Rey and Chet Atkins..loved his Lawrence Welk too.

.Mom was a Strauss waltz fan with a tin ear..

.Dad taught my brothers and I guitar, piano, violin, and the dreaded accordion...can't live in Nepa without one Accordion player in the family..
It's like a family disgrace, like a mixed marriage...if a Lithuanian married a Polish person...or vice versa..
heads would roll.
Di you ever watch the Al Alberts Showcase from the 'color studios of WPIX'...
the guy with the bad wig, got all his talent from a 3 block area of Philly?

a group of us hippies back in 1972 had a cult following of his show...
we took a road trip there...got tix...sat in the audience, all stoned out on loco weed, met Al, his wife Stella, and Marty from the band...

We then went to the 'original House of Pagano' a sponsor of the show, for dinner after stumbling stoned around Philly for a couple of hours.

Old 05-27-2016, 04:04 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,347,681 times
Quote:
TG...nice selection...you were always the sophisticate...

my Dad was a Django Rheinhardt de votée as well as Alvino Rey and Chet Atkins..loved his Lawrence Welk too.

.Mom was a Strauss waltz fan with a tin ear..

.Dad taught my brothers and I guitar, piano, violin, and the dreaded accordion...can't live in Nepa without one Accordion player in the family..
It's like a family disgrace, like a mixed marriage...if a Lithuanian married a Polish person...or vice versa..
heads would roll.
Di you ever watch the Al Alberts Showcase from the 'color studios of WPIX'...
the guy with the bad wig, got all his talent from a 3 block area of Philly?

a group of us hippies back in 1972 had a cult following of his show...
we took a road trip there...got tix...sat in the audience, all stoned out on loco weed, met Al, his wife Stella, and Marty from the band...

We then went to the 'original House of Pagano' a sponsor of the show, for dinner after stumbling stoned around Philly for a couple of hours.
"Mixed marriages" are still frowned on here. God forbid if you marry from the wrong side of the street, go to the wrong church or school, etc. I'm frowned on because I came from NJ and spend a lot of time in NY. Supposidly, all the crime in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre is brought here by the people from NJ and NY. The neighbors think I should stay home and get drunk and stoned every night. The thing is, when I'm in NJ or NY, I fit in and never had a problem.

Nobody in my family plays the accordion but my son does play a mean guitar. I'm the "black sheep" of my mother's side and my father's side. They're conservative yuppies with their noses in the air. I'm a product of the 60s and firmly believe in "If it feels good, do it".

Old 05-27-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
"Mixed marriages" are still frowned on here. God forbid if you marry from the wrong side of the street, go to the wrong church or school, etc. I'm frowned on because I came from NJ and spend a lot of time in NY. Supposidly, all the crime in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre is brought here by the people from NJ and NY. The neighbors think I should stay home and get drunk and stoned every night. The thing is, when I'm in NJ or NY, I fit in and never had a problem.

Nobody in my family plays the accordion but my son does play a mean guitar. I'm the "black sheep" of my mother's side and my father's side. They're conservative yuppies with their noses in the air. I'm a product of the 60s and firmly believe in "If it feels good, do it".

I'm not sure where you live but I lived in Scranton for almost 8 years and I never felt this way, even though I arrived from elsewhere. I lived in Phila, D.C., Maryland, Bucks County, and when I came to Scranton, I never encountered this behavior.

It was a different Scranton then. No Steamtown, no mall. The streets were clean, garbage pick=up was handled efficiently, the city wasn't running out of money. My family and I were very happy there. Of course, I'm happy where I am now, so maybe I just adapt well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania