Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2016, 02:33 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
Here it's a "couple, two t'ree"
True, but I kept waiting for someone to jump out and say, "Ah ha! We've caught you!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
As long as you're out, stop by the ***-a-Me and pick up a pack of hoddogs and buns.

I've lived in NEPA for almost 50 years and never heard anybody say "cuppla two, tree" except joking. And "heyna" was always followed by a smirk, except for one time when the poor soul didn't know why that was funny. Most of what has been thought of as colloquialisms has been gradually dying out and in some instances, I find it sad because it means loss of identity as a region.

Growing up in Philadelphia, there were plenty of regionalisms like "wooder" for water; "crowns" for crayons; "roont" for ruined. Ever hear the expression "Her trolley came off the wire"? Meant that she was pretty dumb. That was in reference to the pole that ran along the overhead electric wire that powered the trolley cars. Used to happen frequently when the 23 car turned the corner at Cambria and Germantown Ave. Ask me how I know.

When I lived in Maryland and Virginia, there were more y'alls than I had ever heard prior. In D.C., it was rather boring because everyone tried so hard to speak properly so as to be understood by the foreign dignitaries who had no clue as to local jargon.

We're in an age where speech patterns are becoming homogenized because we all get to listen to the Talking Heads on the news. So when I call Alfredo's and order "Two pizzas, one wit' pepperoni and one wit' not", I'm keeping the NEPA heritage alive. You're welcome.
Other than my father-in-law, I haven't heard anyone say coupla two, tree since the '60s or early '70s. It was always old guys whose parents had never learned to speak English. Heyna survived at least until the '80s.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
Bang.
Did the door hit you on the **** on the way out?

Seriously? D u p a was blocked?

Old 07-16-2016, 03:49 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,084,230 times
Quote:
As long as you're out, stop by the ***-a-Me and pick up a pack of hoddogs and buns.

I've lived in NEPA for almost 50 years and never heard anybody say "cuppla two, tree" except joking. And "heyna" was always followed by a smirk, except for one time when the poor soul didn't know why that was funny. Most of what has been thought of as colloquialisms has been gradually dying out and in some instances, I find it sad because it means loss of identity as a region.

Growing up in Philadelphia, there were plenty of regionalisms like "wooder" for water; "crowns" for crayons; "roont" for ruined. Ever hear the expression "Her trolley came off the wire"? Meant that she was pretty dumb. That was in reference to the pole that ran along the overhead electric wire that powered the trolley cars. Used to happen frequently when the 23 car turned the corner at Cambria and Germantown Ave. Ask me how I know.

When I lived in Maryland and Virginia, there were more y'alls than I had ever heard prior. In D.C., it was rather boring because everyone tried so hard to speak properly so as to be understood by the foreign dignitaries who had no clue as to local jargon.

We're in an age where speech patterns are becoming homogenized because we all get to listen to the Talking Heads on the news. So when I call Alfredo's and order "Two pizzas, one wit' pepperoni and one wit' not", I'm keeping the NEPA heritage alive. You're welcome.

it still exsists--just listen to snedeker carefully and he is not joking when he lets the expressions slip and it's especiallyu prevelant in luzerne county

Old 07-16-2016, 03:50 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,346,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post

I was trying, once, to describe the action of pulling the hammer on a gun back to get ready to fire the gun and the correct word was banned.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:52 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,346,034 times
I want to go to NYC next Saturday just to roam around the City for awhile since I haven't done that in quite some time but with the high humidity we've been having I might have to put it off for another day.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:57 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
it still exsists--just listen to snedeker carefully and he is not joking when he lets the expressions slip and it's especiallyu prevelant in luzerne county

Snedeker's an ass and we already know how you feel.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post

Why not, they blocked Y a k when I tried to use Y a k-a-me (the grocery store) The worst I could find in the Urban dictionary was y a k for cognac. Go figger.

Old 07-16-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Why not, they blocked Y a k when I tried to use Y a k-a-me (the grocery store) The worst I could find in the Urban dictionary was y a k for cognac. Go figger.
Y a k is the most senior moderator--kind of like the Wizzard of Oz--and we may not type his name.

Old 07-16-2016, 04:31 PM

He's a moderator, not a friggin' king. I went to the zoo and I saw a ***. oops, sorry. I imbibed too heartily and had to ***. ooops, sorry again. In 1986, The Coasters released "Yakety ***". OMG, how dare I?

Nothing here is objectionable. If the senior mod is really the reason, I would respectfully suggest he change his screen name to "Senior Mod" which isn't a term usually seen in everyday conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania