Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 05:29 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,008,155 times

Advertisements

Scranton is so much more than its boutiques and any other of those hip restaurants that have opened. I have a problem with the contradiction of people using the boutiques and restaurants as evidence of Scranton rebounding, and then turning around and saying that many of these stores go out of business quickly. That definitely shows that Scranton is not on any type of rebounding, for if it was, those stores would remain open and thrive. Unfortunately like SWB made light of, many of the in-town residents can afford all these gourment and upper-middle class style restaurants and stores. The only people who you can rely on to keep these stores running are suburban residents, many of who don't enter Scranton, except for work.

John Street needs to look out for Philadelphia before he comments on Scranton. Philadelphia is a MESS of a city; the murder rate is out of control, many of the schools are horrible, and many of the neighborhoods are in dire need of gentrification and updating. I guess Scranton does look attractive when you have to use a city such as Philadelphia as a reference point.

SWB, how do you propose to draw the expanding suburban population back into Scranton?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 05:45 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,657,832 times
Well said miamiman. Why have these trendy restaurants and shops when most of the city residents can't afford them. They're just eye candy to make people from the outside think Scranton looks better than it is. They don't stay open very long and then you have another empty building. I tell anybody who's living outside of the city, to move here, and you will see a completely different view from the inside looking out.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:08 PM

641 posts, read 2,370,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Scranton is so much more than its boutiques and any other of those hip restaurants that have opened. I have a problem with the contradiction of people using the boutiques and restaurants as evidence of Scranton rebounding, and then turning around and saying that many of these stores go out of business quickly. That definitely shows that Scranton is not on any type of rebounding, for if it was, those stores would remain open and thrive. Unfortunately like SWB made light of, many of the in-town residents can afford all these gourment and upper-middle class style restaurants and stores. The only people who you can rely on to keep these stores running are suburban residents, many of who don't enter Scranton, except for work.

John Street needs to look out for Philadelphia before he comments on Scranton. Philadelphia is a MESS of a city; the murder rate is out of control, many of the schools are horrible, and many of the neighborhoods are in dire need of gentrification and updating. I guess Scranton does look attractive when you have to use a city such as Philadelphia as a reference point.

SWB, how do you propose to draw the expanding suburban population back into Scranton?
Wuuuurdup!

You said it!

Old 06-25-2007, 08:01 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,989,546 times
What keeps some of you guys from moving on. There is no reason why in our short short lives you should aggrivate yourselves so mych by continuing to stay in an area that bothers you so much.

If there is so much coruption and so many massive problems that have been giving you ulcers for so many years, I would strongly suggest packing it up an dgoing some where else.

Ohh, but my house won't sell and my job is here and there is no jobs anywhere and this and that.......no excuses because you guys have more than a class room of 2nd graders.

A lot of people are moving from Fla to Tenn and Arkansas. They are moving because they believe that FLa is crime riddled, corrupt, over taxed and filled with illegals. These are the same people that moved to FLa from the north due to problems up there. Now they move to TENN and ARK and bam, things are good for a while. Then they begin to see the bad parts and start the cycle all over.

Scranton is crappy in some ways and great in some ways. If you are looking for Eden then join the club, so am I. Just move and stop whining. Our country is at war, the world faces amny problems these days, your crying over a mayor of a city with 76K population. Get over yourselves. we all have problems, we don't need to worry about yours.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:19 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,096,437 times
I'm sorry I thought that this was the NEPA thread and this is where we decide to discuss our problems. This sub forum was set up so that the problems of NEPA were just that our problems. I love this city and I have no plans on moving I did that. I lived in the middle east, carribean, western USA, and some time in the UK so I know where I want to live and its right here, but what makes you think that we should run from our city instead of trying to make changes for the better. I want my son to have a great place to grow up and a city that we can all be proud of. There are alot of 20 something's here that have done exactly what you are speaking of they moved away and never gave it a chance or at least tried to stay and make this a better place to live. There is no eden, eden is where ever you want to make it. I'm sorry that I am unhappy with the current gov't here and you do not like to read it but hey thats the beauty of free speech and the free flow of info on the net. If you do not live in NEPA then why do you care about what we discuss or complain about for that matter here in the NEPA sub-form? I appreciate your worrying but I think we can handle it ourselves so feel free to go on with your own worries and you own problems in whatever city you live in. Thanks for the input, have a nice day.

Just a quick point coming from a military family OUR GOVERNMENT IS AT WAR, NOT OUR COUNTRY. OUR COUNTRY IS NOT INVOLVED IN THIS PISSING MATCH, OUR GOV"T IS. If it was up to the country our boys would be home and Mr.bush would be out of office.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:45 AM

641 posts, read 2,370,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by to570717 View Post
What keeps some of you guys from moving on.
having no money

Quote:
If there is so much coruption and so many massive problems that have been giving you ulcers for so many years, I would strongly suggest packing it up an dgoing some where else.
Do you have the money?

Quote:
Ohh, but my house won't sell and my job is here and there is no jobs anywhere and this and that.......no excuses because you guys have more than a class room of 2nd graders.
I don't have a house. I rent

Quote:
A lot of people are moving from Fla to Tenn and Arkansas. They are moving because they believe that FLa is crime riddled, corrupt, over taxed and filled with illegals.
Sounds alot like parts of PA

Quote:
Just move and stop whining. Our country is at war, the world faces amny problems these days, your crying over a mayor of a city with 76K population. Get over yourselves. we all have problems, we don't need to worry about yours.
You can send the money for my move to my address. And yes, I take personal checks

Old 06-25-2007, 09:06 AM

This board is to discuss, good and bad, i agree. I don;t think people should run awat from the city, but I do think that life is too short to be miserable. I was born and raised IN NEpa....I own a home in Clarks Summit and my family owns a building in Scranton. My immediate family all lives in NEPA. I am there 4 or 5 weeks a year and i plan on moving back there when I decide to marry and start a family. I go on this site because I enjoy the pictures and hearing others speak fondly of the area I am from. I get homesick sometimes and this place is nice to come to when i am sitting at work and have nothing to do.

I don't worry about you personally, I worry that people who get up at council every week and paint the city with a broad brush and make insinuations that there is something wrong with being anythihng but blue collar in scranton.

And lastly, our COUNTRY is at war. Just because we are not effected by it each day, there are still American men and women fighting and dying. When it hits close to home you realize that indeed we are at war and it is real. Gov't start the wars, i agree, but we as a country must deal with it.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal rooster View Post
having no money

Do you have the money?

I don't have a house. I rent

Sounds alot like parts of PA

You can send the money for my move to my address. And yes, I take personal checks

If you really wanted to make it happen you could. I do not know your situation so I can not really comment, people move with Zero and make it happen.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:34 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,657,832 times
Iam offended by telling us to stop whining and get over ourselves. This is a forum to discuss problems and talk about the good and bad of life in general. It just so happens there is a lot of bad things going on where we live. We have a right to say what we what and how we feel. If you don't like it, then don't read it. We're not going to stop speaking out against our govt. whether it be local or federal. It's called free speech. So is everybody just supposed to pack up and run from their problems. Some can, others can't. It's not always so easy.

Old 06-25-2007, 12:08 PM

you guys are right. Ahh scranton, ahhh humanity!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania