Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 12:52 AM

436 posts, read 951,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamMan View Post
Now, that's dangerous.
Precipitated by tailgaters who think they have the right to be reckless in their driving patterns.

People who tail others and speed 10+ MPH in excess of the posted limit should lose their license for at least a year, face a severe fine, and have their insurance premium increased ten fold.

That would deter these idiots from thinking they can be overly aggressive on the roadways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 06:51 AM

177 posts, read 464,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerNation View Post
Precipitated by tailgaters who think they have the right to be reckless in their driving patterns.

People who tail others and speed 10+ MPH in excess of the posted limit should lose their license for at least a year, face a severe fine, and have their insurance premium increased ten fold.

That would deter these idiots from thinking they can be overly aggressive on the roadways.
Oh, I am not defending the tailgater. What s/he is doing is also dangerous.

Last edited by JamMan; 08-11-2010 at 07:11 AM..

Old 08-11-2010, 09:06 AM

232 posts, read 611,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerNation View Post
Are you suggesting that doing 66 on the highway in a 55 should result in loss of license for a year and insurance increased tenfold??

Whackjob...............................

Old 08-11-2010, 01:32 PM

996 posts, read 1,049,026 times
Absolutely, I hope the tailgating nitwit remembers the lesson.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:58 PM

18,754 posts, read 17,982,974 times
Anybody, in a car, that tailgates commercial vehicles has a death wish.
Years ago I was driving a set of doubles down I 95 in VA. I had a car that was following too close. I slowed down and they slowed down. Had there been a truck stop or rest area; I would have pulled in. Anyway, I kept trucking and they kept following. All of a sudden I saw a flash and the driver pulled over. I did not think of it too much until I did my pre-trip at the first rest area. I lost a mud flap. Everything on a big truck is heavy - even a mud flap can break a window or a head light. A tire can kill you. I know; because I knew a fellow truck driver that was killed by another truck driver’s tire.
The more distance drivers give themselves; the more reaction time they have.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Anybody, in a car, that tailgates commercial vehicles has a death wish.
Another point - most folks fail to read those signs on the back of the trailers which read

"If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you".

Then, the morons who sneak up to the back of a trailer, and decide to make a sudden pass, and get run off the road or run over when the truck makes a lane change, blame the driver of the truck.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:38 PM

18,754 posts, read 17,982,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
Another point - most folks fail to read those signs on the back of the trailers which read

"If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you".

Then, the morons who sneak up to the back of a trailer, and decide to make a sudden pass, and get run off the road or run over when the truck makes a lane change, blame the driver of the truck.
varmintblaster,
Now that I’m retired I do not have to worry about it. However; I hate that law that truck drivers have to clean their roofs. It was a knee jerk reaction to a woman getting killed by flying ice. In a perfect world; we would all clean our roofs. However; many times we don’t have the tools available to do the job safely. I wish that I could have put one of the politicians, that sponsored that law; 13 feet six inches above the asphalt on ice. If anybody thinks ice is slippery on the ground; they should try to walk on aluminum with ice on top and then have some wind. If every truck driver could clean their roof we would have more dead truck drivers than motorist.
The law should have been written to encourage the shippers, receivers and trucking companies to clean their roofs. Instead it was written to pick on the low man on the totem pole - the trucker.
That said; motorist should be observant of the conditions. If you see ice flying off a truck; let off the gas. The truck driver might be in the wrong - but you could be dead right.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:27 PM

20 posts, read 39,092 times
tail gaters? tap tap tap the breaks.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:28 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,168,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PODS guy View Post
tail gaters? tap tap tap the breaks.

Isn't that kind of dangerous?

Old 08-11-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Isn't that kind of dangerous?
Not for the lead car.

Following too close and ignoring the rule of "allowing space of one vehicle length for every 10mph of speed " is dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania