Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 09:19 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,140,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Oh here's a little home town news for all of you trying to preserve your way of live in the country.
A few summers back a camp counselor at Camp Cayuga (from a NY NJ Phillie suburbs - a nice college girl) was followed back to the camp after an excursion to the local K-Mart with a group of other camp counselors also, from what you would call "the city."
That night he raped and shot her.
Now that's some down home hospitality for ya!

Little Home town News ?

Get your FACTS Right ..

People get raped and Killed EVERYWHERE ..
Plus she was Not killed in HONESDALE she was killed at Skinners Falls ..

And also The person who they tried for the murder , Walked . NOT GUILTY ..

Old 09-08-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnahonesdale View Post
EEEK!
"It's hard not to understand the frustrations of long term NEPA residents who have seen their previously uncongested, affordable, crime-free way way of life shattered forever."

This is clearly one of the rudest comments I have ever read on ANY message board---like ever!

I'm not even sure how to respond---it is just the rudest thing. Read it again if you don't "get" what I am saying here...this poster just affirmed what the original posters concern was. Narrow mindedness and lumping anyone that is not "from here" into this horrible ball of nastiness!

I lived in Brooklyn NY for over 30 years and was NEVER accosted, mugged, robbed, ANYTHING! I rode the subways at 3 am...broke down in the worst areas and had people--GASP!!! Big black people---GASP!! Come to my assistance--ME--a white mom of 4 in a MINI VAN!

I lived here for 10 years and so far:
my house was vandalized---by some NY-ers of course!
my kids were beat up---again, they must of been from one of THOSE families!
my neighbors dog attacked us---oh yeah, I had the nerve to expect him to put up a restraining fence because the damn dog attacked my kid THREE times
I had the police called on ME because said neighbor accused me of getting his wood pile wet??? Wet! I kid you not a huge pile of firewood sitting in his YARD got wet. I wonder if he yells at God when it rains???---in error about 1/5 of our pool water leaked into his yard and we IMMEDIATELY took measures to stop it--AND apologized!
The to top it off, when the dog hit number THREE--after pooping in my yard! we complained---TWO YEARS later---to the dog warden and the nice neighbors answer was to report me for child abuse to CPS---
Add to that RUDE people on the road, umpteen pregnant teens and the fathers of those teens HAPPY because now they can increase their welfare and food stamps benefits...
AND I was told BY an official that works AT the courthouse "You should just encourage your kids to go to school elsewhere because they will never succeed in any business around here". How's that for town "pride"!

Should I go on---NO WAY!
You know why???
Because even the face of the several jerky people I have met and experienced here...
MOST people from NEPA are NOT this way---
MOST people are nice and welcoming---
MOST people don't judge me and I don't judge them and MOST of the time---the majority of the time, we live a wonderful, peaceful, mind our own business kind of life. I help my elderly neighbors with all manner of things. I serve at the food pantry, my kids are in Scouts, we volunteer at the local animal shelter and my kids have found pretty decent work with some pretty decent--what did you call them--- "long term NEPA residents".

Take another look at who it is that is doing all the crappy things you listed...maybe it's those "long term NEPA residents" offspring that are tired of living such a narrow life and bored to deathe because the only thing in town to do is get knocked up in Daddy's pick-up or eat "shrooms" to get high---because the "long term NEPA residents" don't want to "mar their good 'ole town" by putting up some kind of youth center where the kids can learn a thing or 2 or play games that don;t involve mailbox baseball and cow tipping......:m ad::tap e:

I am appalled and insulted by that comment and the entire post...sheesh man, how do you even have any friends at all? I wonder what YOUR neighbors have to say about you...

UGH! Off I go before I get my post deleted.

Maybe you should move back to Brooklyn

I was born and Raised On Shore Rd In Bay Ridge .

20 yrs ago It was nice .. Not today . Even the Mafia abandoned it to the Russian mob ..

If your having SO many problems MOVE ..
Or make nice with your neighbor

I dont have neighbors so I cant relate ..

Old 09-08-2010, 09:40 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Quote:
EEEK!
"It's hard not to understand the frustrations of long term NEPA residents who have seen their previously uncongested, affordable, crime-free way way of life shattered forever."

This is clearly one of the rudest comments I have ever read on ANY message board---like ever!

I'm not even sure how to respond---it is just the rudest thing. Read it again if you don't "get" what I am saying here...this poster just affirmed what the original posters concern was. Narrow mindedness and lumping anyone that is not "from here" into this horrible ball of nastiness!

I lived in Brooklyn NY for over 30 years and was NEVER accosted, mugged, robbed, ANYTHING! I rode the subways at 3 am...broke down in the worst areas and had people--GASP!!! Big black people---GASP!! Come to my assistance--ME--a white mom of 4 in a MINI VAN!

I lived here for 10 years and so far:
my house was vandalized---by some NY-ers of course!
my kids were beat up---again, they must of been from one of THOSE families!
my neighbors dog attacked us---oh yeah, I had the nerve to expect him to put up a restraining fence because the damn dog attacked my kid THREE times
I had the police called on ME because said neighbor accused me of getting his wood pile wet??? Wet! I kid you not a huge pile of firewood sitting in his YARD got wet. I wonder if he yells at God when it rains???---in error about 1/5 of our pool water leaked into his yard and we IMMEDIATELY took measures to stop it--AND apologized!
The to top it off, when the dog hit number THREE--after pooping in my yard! we complained---TWO YEARS later---to the dog warden and the nice neighbors answer was to report me for child abuse to CPS---
Add to that RUDE people on the road, umpteen pregnant teens and the fathers of those teens HAPPY because now they can increase their welfare and food stamps benefits...
AND I was told BY an official that works AT the courthouse "You should just encourage your kids to go to school elsewhere because they will never succeed in any business around here". How's that for town "pride"!

Should I go on---NO WAY!
You know why???
Because even the face of the several jerky people I have met and experienced here...
MOST people from NEPA are NOT this way---
MOST people are nice and welcoming---
MOST people don't judge me and I don't judge them and MOST of the time---the majority of the time, we live a wonderful, peaceful, mind our own business kind of life. I help my elderly neighbors with all manner of things. I serve at the food pantry, my kids are in Scouts, we volunteer at the local animal shelter and my kids have found pretty decent work with some pretty decent--what did you call them--- "long term NEPA residents".

Take another look at who it is that is doing all the crappy things you listed...maybe it's those "long term NEPA residents" offspring that are tired of living such a narrow life and bored to deathe because the only thing in town to do is get knocked up in Daddy's pick-up or eat "shrooms" to get high---because the "long term NEPA residents" don't want to "mar their good 'ole town" by putting up some kind of youth center where the kids can learn a thing or 2 or play games that don;t involve mailbox baseball and cow tipping......:m ad::tap e:

I am appalled and insulted by that comment and the entire post...sheesh man, how do you even have any friends at all? I wonder what YOUR neighbors have to say about you...

UGH! Off I go before I get my post deleted.
Sounds like you just have crappy neighbors, but to paint the entire area with a broad brush because you live next door to some white trash hillbillies is misinformed, at best.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:43 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parker83 View Post
My husband and I was thinking about moving our young family to Honesdale but I am hearing from many people that they don't have too many blacks or interracial and that if you're black, they'll look at you like you're crazy or alien. I just need some feedback please.....Thank you!

Has anyone noticed that the OP has not popped back here to post? Let's help her with her search please and not bash each other.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:11 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Has anyone noticed that the OP has not popped back here to post? Let's help her with her search please and not bash each other.
I noticed. I also noticed she didn't respond to the other two posts she initiated requesting information on the communities of Sontag MS and Narrowsburg NY.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:54 AM

Maybe she forgot her password ..

Old 09-08-2010, 12:03 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,828,595 times
Quote:
EEEK!

I've read it several times and find nothing rude or even inaccurate (on the whole) about it. Areas of NEPA have changed drastically due to an influx of homes marketed at those who wanted home ownership with the financial gimmicks that have caused a housing meltdown. This in no way excuses the precieved problem over which the OP expressed concern -- no one should be treated differently due to blah, blah, blah - race, sexual orientation, religion, hair color, place of birth, color of eyes, fav food. (And fwiw, the OP's question was all baiting; no experience and the poster's response that got you so upset agrees with the blah, blah, blah part.)

To the old timers (half me) - get over it. It's life and nothing stays the same forever. And there are still many, many areas of PA untouched by "outsiders" and no area is, was or will be crime free.

To the newcomers (1/4 me) - don't be surprised when you bring your own way-of-life into a new area and get pushback.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:22 PM

996 posts, read 1,057,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
:-) they're many affordable homes in nj; just in areas a little more "diverse" for those complaining about nepa's lack of diversity.

Ouch !!!!

Old 09-08-2010, 08:13 PM

126 posts, read 327,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
Maybe you should move back to Brooklyn

I was born and Raised On Shore Rd In Bay Ridge .

20 yrs ago It was nice .. Not today . Even the Mafia abandoned it to the Russian mob ..

If your having SO many problems MOVE ..
Or make nice with your neighbor

I dont have neighbors so I cant relate ..
Again, did you only read what you WANTED to read??? Good night---I did not RANT about problems on this post...I did NOT say that I hated it here and that EVERYONE here is ________fill in the blank---unlike the few here that have lumped all newcomers into a nasty little pile. READ what I wrote again and then PLEASE respond to what I wrote NOT what you THINK I wrote.

Just saying---- make PEACE with someone who tried to have my kids taken away because his dog attacked my kid and crapped in my yard---my nice clean no fenced in yard...the neighbor that leers at my daughter and her friends---yeah I think not. BUT will you read this and then say "She said she hates everything about where she lives!" Cuz THAT is NOT what I just said now is it. DUH!

Brooklyn is NOT where I would choose to live because of the cost and my hubby loves it here as well as my kids and ME.

But, where you mentioned might be a nasty place---as is Canarise where we lived---not the slum BTW, we lived on a nice tree lined street with neighbors and a backyard and no crack houses to be found---ignorant people making ignorant remarks should ALSO get their facts straight.

AND if you wanted to, you can find amazing places to live in Brooklyn like maybe Park Slope or Dumbo---2 million dollar homes, diversity, yuppies, stay at home moms, workaholics, etc...oh just like we find here in NEPA just on a smaller scale since there are less people here. People are the same everyhwere---Some are amazing and helpful and kind and some are creepy and judmental and obviously miserable with a LOT of time on their hands.

How can a person tell if the crimes committed in an area are ALL by "newcomers"? I would love to see the stats on that.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:53 PM

996 posts, read 1,057,074 times
Check out the crime statistics for Stroudsburg, Hazleton, and Mt. Pocono areas and you will find the answer to your question.

Next door neighbor wars - what a hoot...

Last edited by varmintblaster; 09-08-2010 at 09:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania