Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 06:42 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times

Advertisements

Today we had the pleasure of being shown a house on Birch St in Wilkes Barre. The RE Broker told us that the house was rather well known in the area because a murder had taken place there in the 1980s.

I would have told him to make a U Turn but my morbid fascination with such things, dictated that I have a look at it. Also, I am extreemly sensitive to places where violent or tragic events have taken place and I was quite curious.

The house was nice enough - but it was what is known as a "stigamtized property" and resale value on such homes dips because some people - in fact quite a few people are not comfotable living in a place where a brutal muder has occured. I am very deffinatly one of those people.

I did feel very uncomfortable in the house - especially in one of the bedrooms. As it turned out that was the very bedroom where the woman was strangleled to death!

Anyone know any back groud history about this palce? I also know that it was made into a lifetime movie starring Melissa Gilbert of "little House on the Prairie" fame.But the names of the actual people were changed for the film. Also it was shot in Salt Lake City, Utah. Go figure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 07:28 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,272,967 times
Has to be Glen Wolsifer, the dentist that murdered his wife and made it look like an intruder did it. I saw that movie that your talking about. i wish i remembered the name of it.http://celebgalz.com/glen-wolsieffer...-birch-photos/ or http://murderat75birchmovie.blogspot.com/

Old 08-25-2010, 09:43 PM

Yup that's the one! There is very little available about him on the internet.
Thanks for the help!

Old 08-25-2010, 09:44 PM

Oh the name of the movie was "Murder on Birch St,"

Old 08-26-2010, 12:20 AM

23 posts, read 33,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Today we had the pleasure of being shown a house on Birch St in Wilkes Barre. The RE Broker told us that the house was rather well known in the area because a murder had taken place there in the 1980s.

I would have told him to make a U Turn but my morbid fascination with such things, dictated that I have a look at it. Also, I am extreemly sensitive to places where violent or tragic events have taken place and I was quite curious.

The house was nice enough - but it was what is known as a "stigamtized property" and resale value on such homes dips because some people - in fact quite a few people are not comfotable living in a place where a brutal muder has occured. I am very deffinatly one of those people.

I did feel very uncomfortable in the house - especially in one of the bedrooms. As it turned out that was the very bedroom where the woman was strangleled to death!

Anyone know any back groud history about this palce? I also know that it was made into a lifetime movie starring Melissa Gilbert of "little House on the Prairie" fame.But the names of the actual people were changed for the film. Also it was shot in Salt Lake City, Utah. Go figure
Ya the murder was all covered up by the husband, he set up a ladder against the house and everything, he is out of prison now, and I believe that he is still in the construction bussiness locally.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:37 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,947,837 times
Google returns 3,260 results for "Glen Wolsieffer". The film was titled Murder at 75 Birch.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:49 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Google returns 3,260 results for "Glen Wolsieffer". The film was titled Murder at 75 Birch.
I saw this movie as well. I distinctively remember them mispronouncing the name "Wilkes-Barre." It's not that hard!

Old 08-30-2010, 11:34 AM

Really that many results? I have since found more about him and I would like to see the movie.
Welsieffer was a dentist with a "girl in every port".
He also was living in VA at the time of his arrest, practicing as a dentist.
The seller's agent told us that he lived in the historic district of WB in a very nice town house.
The whole think made me very uncomfortable, but it was an "experience."

Old 08-30-2010, 05:54 PM

343 posts, read 603,940 times
Weird how this topic came up now. Steve Corbett of WILK said today is the anniversary of the murder that took place in 1986.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:16 PM

41 posts, read 239,529 times
He now has a dentristry business in Shickshinny as of last year! I took care of his mother in a hospital and he came in (very creepy) and brought his daughter with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania