Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 08:36 PM

889 posts, read 2,574,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxy38 View Post
I live in a private community, for the last 2 years. I come from NYC and we chose to live in a community because we were used to having some things close, we have a restaurant and bar that is about 4 blocks away. After living here for 2 years I can honestly say I would of never made the friends I have if we lived outside the community. We joined groups and met many good friends.

As far as the dues, rules etc. I can do without the dues, rules don't bother me. You need to do your homework. Many of the communities have rentals and you can spend some time while you make your decision.

There are pluses and minuses...some hate community living and some love it!
What makes you think living outside of a private community won't afford the same thing?? I have restaurants, pizzerias, shopping centers, K-Mart, etc., close also...I didn't have to live behind a gate to get that...they may not be within walking distance but I wouldn't trade my current environment for one where I have to wait for the ...
How would you know if you've never lived outside the community your in right now...you didn't live in a gated community in NYC and you made friends didn't you?? I've met a lot of people here in NEPA since I first came out here in 1996 without having to live behind a gate...
Some people need to be ruled by others...but if that's what makes you happy...
I have to agree with these points. If the poster's proposition were to be believed, that would mean no one living in the original/ungated communities (i.e., small towns and villages) in the Poconos know their neighbors, no one socializes, people stay in like hermits and have no friends, there are no bars or restaurants that people frequent or can walk to, there is no shopping, and so on. I think we all know that is just not so.

Gated communities appeal to some sensibilities that apply were one living in NYC and other dense urban cores. And if you're accustomed to that lifestyle and sense of community, you probably think it's normal, and extrapolate it to everywhere else you live. But there is clearly a 'missing the forest for the trees' effect going on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 09:15 PM

996 posts, read 1,056,905 times
In defense of Roxxy, I don't think she implied any shortcomings in the small towns of the Poconos.

If she enjoys living in a gated community, which offers activites and other amenities that she enjoys, I say good for her.

Personally, I would not want to modify my lifestyle to conform to some of the rules that HOA's impose on its members, but as they say - different strokes for different folks.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:48 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times
The problem is MOST of the lake communities that are gated, or even ungated, have HOA rules and regulations.
If you want a lake and community living you have to buy into that.
Having lived both ways.......I did breath a sigh of relief when I left the gated community and began my "freedom" at my present property.
I just knew I could do what I liked now......Not that I did anything that would bother my neighbors.
Still needing town permits for a pool or shed, but not the extra permits and approvals needed from the HOA community.
Many thought I didn't own my land ( in the HOA community)because of all the approvals needed to do something on it.....
Crime does not deter due to those gates, not in the least. That is a big misconception....
Still I realize that if I want to live by a lake I might just have to live within the rules again.
I have to weight that issue. Perhaps a less structured lake community.......
Funny thing is, in NJ there were lake communities without all the fanfair.
You paid a fee to use the lake, that was it. No HOA, and no rules. The only lake I feel is comparable is Harveys Lake. I am sure there are others, but not very many for sure.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:30 AM

45 posts, read 115,357 times
I understand there are pro's and con's. I have only begun my search. I will read research each carefully.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:40 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
log living,
I just wanted to say that we have a tax upset sale in Monroe County on September 15’th. We have 1990 properties currently on our list - the number will change as the sale approaches. There are no guarantees - there can be liens and other incumbencies against the property. I do not think that title searches take too long? Other counties could be having their sales about the same time? If you would want to check this out; you can just Google Monroe County upset tax sale or try this link: http://www.co.monroe.pa.us/planning_records/cwp/view.asp?a=1569&q=606322
You can then hit on the list.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:02 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
log living,
Here is a link to an article that is running in today’s Pocono Record: http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100907/NEWS/9070327/-1/NEWS16
Apparently: the information on the study will be released on Wednesday. It might not be pertinent to the information that you seek? But; it might give you an insight into potential problems or advantages with private communities.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:37 AM

889 posts, read 2,574,623 times
And a follow up article today: Your neighbors behind the gates: A look at the Poconos' largest private communities | PoconoRecord.com, and a PDF file to go with it: http://www.poconorecord.com/assets/pdf/PR128698.PDF

FYI on these Pocono Record articles, per a banner announcement I saw, the Pocono Record web site is supposed to switch to a subscription site in a few days (they mentioned the date of Sep 21 or thereabouts), so after presumably that date, one would have to pay a subscription fee to read the articles.

Edit, details here.

Last edited by PeeAye Native; 09-08-2010 at 03:40 AM.. Reason: Details

Old 09-08-2010, 05:26 AM

13 posts, read 26,150 times
Hey Log,
I live in a Gated Community. You own your own property so you pay your own taxes. The association dues are an additional cost per year. Typically you get road maintenance, trash, security as well as any amenities the community might offer such as pools, lakes, beaches, tennis etc...Depending on what you are looking for along the lines of how much land might be the telling tale of whether or not a gated community is right for you (or any community for that matter, gated or not). Most communities lot sizes are broken down to 1/4 to 1/2 acre parcels some communities a little more. Hope this helps.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:54 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,143,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeAye Native View Post
FYI on these Pocono Record articles, per a banner announcement I saw, the Pocono Record web site is supposed to switch to a subscription site in a few days (they mentioned the date of Sep 21 or thereabouts), so after presumably that date, one would have to pay a subscription fee to read the articles.
I'll be glad to see them go....they suck journalism-wise anyway...can't get stories straight, ton's of typos in their articles, most stories only 1/2 information about what happened...no wonder the Morning Call is so much more popular than them...the NY Times and other newspapers across the country tried that with little to no success...it may work for the Wall Street Journal because their a much bigger periodical but not for some backwoods newspaper....

Old 09-08-2010, 12:18 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,828,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconolake View Post
Hey Log,
I live in a Gated Community. You own your own property so you pay your own taxes. The association dues are an additional cost per year. Typically you get road maintenance, trash, security as well as any amenities the community might offer such as pools, lakes, beaches, tennis etc...Depending on what you are looking for along the lines of how much land might be the telling tale of whether or not a gated community is right for you (or any community for that matter, gated or not). Most communities lot sizes are broken down to 1/4 to 1/2 acre parcels some communities a little more. Hope this helps.
ditto. if you want more of the community flavor and some ammenities an hoa (gated or not) can be the way to go. If your enjoyment is burning cardboard in a steel can free from rules, perhaps not so much

In a way, by these associations covering their own trash, road maintenance, some security, etc., with no reduction in millage, taxes of others are kept lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania