U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-28-2010, 02:11 PM

40 posts, read 70,866 times

Advertisements

I have verizon now for my DSL and im tired of dealing with people on the phone outside the country that u cant understand and the high rates they have.
Does anybody know of any other Internet DSL companies in the area that are reasonable and haven't had trouble with. I want to cancel my phone service and verizon is doubling my bill if i go just DSL w/ no phone.. tired of all the gimmicks and want to switch services. thanks in advance for your help. wanna stay away from cable, comcast too..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 08:45 AM

23,331 posts, read 17,715,121 times
You're pretty much out of luck, competition for internet service providers is nearly non existent because competing companies won't have the infrastructure in place or can't put it in place because of contracts. It's a huge expense so if you don't have a ready made customer base it's not worth it, both the cable and phone companies have this base. Plus having all those wires from different comapnies wouldn't be practical anyway.

The only real options I'm aware of would be cellular or satellite both of which are very expensive. The satellite service is pretty poor from my understanding.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:26 AM
Status: "off the crutches but still hobbling along" (set 13 days ago)

2,644 posts, read 1,691,814 times
I have the bundle from comcast, hate to pay it, but the service is reliable.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:59 PM
Status: "I wear the chain I forged in life..." (set 16 days ago)

4,152 posts, read 3,249,710 times
After living elsewhere for six months, I returned to my home last August and signed up for the Comcast Triple Play - phone, internet, cable - for 114.99 a month. Despite the fact that cable is higher than I think it should be, the internet and phone are reasonable. And the phone includes free long distance. The year was up in August and I was expecting a big jump for my next contract year. When I called, I was offered the same services and an additional block of cable channels - all the 200's - for only 5.00 more a month.

In a year's time, my phone service has gone out twice, and resolved itself in less than 15 minutes. And when you contact CS, you get someone who speaks English. They are unfailingly polite, (even once when I was not very).

No complaints here.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:26 AM

127 posts, read 215,633 times
We use Blue Ridge Communications and have a bundle for our phone, internet, and cable. We have only had 2 or 3 issues where we did not get certain channels, but that was the result of either the weather or an accident. We pay about $160 a month for all three. The phone is unlimited and we have the next to highest level of internet speed since my kids use the computer for games and videos.
We had Verizon and di not like it at all. Many issues and poor customer service. HTH!~

Old 08-30-2010, 11:31 AM

30,200 posts, read 27,306,554 times
im going nuts with verizon dsl now.. i keep loosing modem sync, they shipped a modem out. sent it to the wrong address.. finally got the new one and still no good. now they have to start tracing the network on their end.
if its not resolved by the time we go back in 2 weeks ill see if they will upgrade us to fios at a reduced price or ill go triple play with blue ridge.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:29 PM
Status: "off the crutches but still hobbling along" (set 13 days ago)

2,644 posts, read 1,691,814 times
Good luck to you, I hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction!

Old 08-30-2010, 02:31 PM

503 posts, read 529,490 times
We live in Wilkes-Barre and just have the 10MBps cable internet from Service Electric, the first 2 months were $45 (introductory) then $55 thereafter. My wife had cable internet in the past and loved it, I used to have phone company DSL but now I agree that cable is a lot better.
Being on a limited budget, I opted for free TV with an outdoor Radio Shack antenna, we get 18 channels here and they all come in fairly well most of the time. For phone service, I bought an OOMA Telo box from Amazon for $200, it's sort of like magic jack but is a lot better since it's a standalone unit and does not require a computer, just plug it into the internet and then plug a 3-4 remote cordless phone set into it. With the basic plan, all service and calls within the USA are free forever, they just charge something like $3.70 a month for 911 and Federal tax. They give you a local number too, and you can even get your messages forwarded to your email as mp3 files. The box itself plays the messages if you are home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania