U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-31-2010, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 3,862 times
Default Best,affordable place to live in the poconos?

Hi,
I am considering moving to the Poconos permanently, my parents live in Arrowhead Lakes currently and I was looking around on craigslist for places for rent. I see alot of places in a place called APCP which from everything I read seems like a bad area so I was wondering if anyone could tell me what other places to avoid. I am sure that is a shorter list then to list all the good places. I seen a house for rent in a place called Robinhood Lakes and I don't see anything bad about them online but if anyone has any personal experience I would appreciate it.
Any recommendations on some safe,clean and affordable communities? and any info on what to avoid would be greatly appreciated. I know nothing about this area.
Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 10:25 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,508,009 times
Hmmmm Arrowhead has a rental office . Did you check there ?

Also All of the real estates up there have rentals ..

I would look OUTSIDE of a community as none of them up there are that great , some are better than others But all have RULES ,,

Good luck with your search

Old 08-31-2010, 05:45 PM

685 posts, read 755,347 times
Full time renters are looked down upon by many in private communities. You will have NO rights and neighbors will tend to shun you or be downright hostile. At least I found that when I rented in Arrowhead. Also, didn't care much for the land lord I had. Watch out for the crooked ones that have decided to make things up and keep your security. Had I known that he would have to come to court where I moved out of state, I surely would have done it. Too late now.
Just be very cautious if renting in a community.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:51 PM

996 posts, read 282,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J5K5LY View Post
Full time renters are looked down upon by many in private communities. You will have NO rights and neighbors will tend to shun you or be downright hostile. At least I found that when I rented in Arrowhead. Also, didn't care much for the land lord I had. Watch out for the crooked ones that have decided to make things up and keep your security. Had I known that he would have to come to court where I moved out of state, I surely would have done it. Too late now.
Just be very cautious if renting in a community.
If you crossed your T's and dotted your I's, you would have done a walk through the home with the landlord or his/her representative before vacating the premises, and have them sign a statement that the place was left in a suitable, clean condition with no damages..

Furthermore, you would have had to come back to Monroe County for a court hearing if you did not receive your deposit back within 30 days.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:22 PM

I had no time left to wait for the landlord to come for a walk thru. He made it all as difficult as possible. I did video tape it all and had pix from when I moved in. I actually upgraded alot of things when I was there but oh well, live and learn. I had a feeling he was gonna rip me when I got the place. I got it as a temp place till I could find the house I wanted out of state. My BIL lives in Pa and he is a land lord. He told me that I could have taken the LL to court and he would have to come here. Not only should I have recieved my security back but he never put it in a bank account so according to my research he could have been court ordered to pay double security back to me. It's all in the past but my experience with people in Arrowhead was not the greatest. Now if you want to ask me about the wild life, that's a different story!

Old 08-31-2010, 09:17 PM

996 posts, read 282,956 times
Oh well, like you said live and learn. I still think the case would be heard in the county where the house is located.

Wild life? If you are talking about 4 legged critters, years ago I harvested a couple of nice deer that the Arrowhead residents fattened up on corn when I hunted the state game lands near Brady's Lake. So tender you could cut the steaks with a fork...

Old 08-31-2010, 09:42 PM

somehow doesn't surprise me considering your screen name.

To the Op, I worked in Wilkes-Barre and had many co-workers that lived in that area. The rents were much cheaper than Monroe County and just a few miles out, you were back in the beautiful country. Check out the areas near there. Also, more work opportunities in that area. Good luck with the move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania