Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 01:20 PM

4 posts, read 11,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
I mean no offense, but if I was a recent college graduate and I had to choose between Wilkes-Barre, Scranton and Williamsport I would be reevaluating my career path rather quickly.
Thanks for such a positive reply. I work for a global Fortune 50 company. I'll have plenty of chances to transfer. I think my career path is just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 01:25 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinbloom View Post
Sorry to answer your question with a question, but I was wondering what you mean by "bad" ??? If you are talking about the conditions of the roadways, yes they are bad. If you are inquiring about city government, yes it is bad. The city's amount of debt, yes it is bad. If you are inquiring about the wage tax compared to other local "towns" yes it is bad. IF you are talking about nepotism, old boy networking, and its not what you know but who you no, yes it is bad. Employment opportunities...bad. If you meant crime, imho no it is not bad, to those that have lived here their whole lives they have seen a rise in crime and would say it was bad.

With all that being said, I am still happy that my family moved here and am raising my youngest child here. Like you my husband transferred here, and is employed at Tobyhanna Army Depot. His employment is just about as secure a one can get in the current economic climate. The pace of life is easy going, the housing market is very affordable and in general people are polite/nice.

I disagree with weluvpa, there is plenty to do that does not involve drinking. Having two large universties here and a cultural center, there is no shortage of lecture series, off Broadway productions, community theater. There are more then one health and fitness club, a fantastic library system, concerts at Montage Mt.,movie theaters etc. A car will be necessary to take advantage of many of these offerings, as public transportion does not run after 6 pm I believe.

Keep in mind that there is no grocery stores in the downtown area. There are plenty of restaurants , and watering wholes, some speciality shops, and of course the infamous/famous Steamtown mall, as well as the National Historic Site of Steamtown it self.
Although I no longer live in the city, I have a very deep attachment to it, and Love's assessment is one of the fairest you will see. It's a small city with a very large metropolitan area, and there is much to do that extends outside the city limits.

Contrary to a poster who feels that the area is populated by "uneducated burn-outs" who lack "professional success", the people of Scranton need make no apology for who they are.

Since you have already chosen and committed to Scranton, you'll have ample opportunity to find out what it's like here, what there is to do here, and if you're going to be happy here.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:49 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,096,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spee View Post
Thanks for such a positive reply. I work for a global Fortune 50 company. I'll have plenty of chances to transfer. I think my career path is just fine.
I thought the same thing when I was at Prudential, it doesn't always play out the way you think it does.

Regardless of what there is do around here, the city still is the dumps. Living in the downtown is so far from "urban" it's not even funny. 5pm everyday the only thing that will be open is the bars. Saturday and Sunday you will be hard pressed to find anything to do downtown.

There is no sugar coating it....Scranton Sucks. The concerts at Montage are a waste because it takes you 3 hours to get there and 4+ hours to get out and down the mountain and home. You could drive to Philly for a show and still be home in bed after the drive before you would even be out of the parking lot at Montage.

As far as off-broadway, you couldn't get any further off broadway then Scranton...

Lecture series? Now that is a hoot and I can't believe that they are not on my to do calendar..

The Scranton Cultural Center is as funny as military intelligence. The most culturally diverse thing to do is people watch at the bus station...

Movie theaters in the downtown are terrible, the mall is dying a slow and painfully public death, and well I guess there is a gym down there somewhere so thats good I guess.

Steamtown, hmmm that is great if your 5 and if not then it was fun the first and only time.

Seriously folks you cannot honestly tell me that you actually believe half the stuff that is played up as good things to do in the city of Scranton.

You could always use the river walk and hangout with the homeless people.

If it was me I would have picked Williamsport, at least your a short drive from State College and would be able to find something to do like climbing, hiking, biking, skiing and have a nightlife all with people in your age bracket.

Scranton is a death dance with a geriatric that is on life support and its not going to end well.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:20 PM

405 posts, read 1,279,285 times
Default re: moving to Scranton

Quote:
Hello NEPA,

I'm moving, somewhat reluctantly, to Scranton in November for work
Please, give me some hope.

Do I take it that you already have a job lined up or no???
If not, I would throw that dart again bud.
The unemployment rate in NEPA is the highest in 20 years.
The official rate is somewhere around 10% or 11%.
Though I think the actual rate is much higher.
I know a couple freinds who have been out of work for
six months to a year and they're having no luck.
There are some decent jobs around.
But for each one you have scores of applicants trying.
I've heard it said that NEPA is the "Flint, MI. of the northeast" in
terms of economic opportunity in this recession.
So I hope you have something lined up...or throw that dart again.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:43 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,713,551 times
I feel sorry for some of the posters on here. It sounds like they choose to be miserable.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:03 PM

I think its funny that many equate a desire to be honest about the deplorable state of the city to being miserable.

The two really don't have anything to do one another.

I enjoy living here, and I spend most if not the vast majority of my time outside of the city in the communities along the Susquehanna River. Whenever we want to see something or go somewhere nice we plan trips one or two weekends a month depending on my schedule on the river.

Scranton sucks, but that doesn't mean that I am a miserable person.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:03 PM

4 posts, read 11,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
If it was me I would have picked Williamsport, at least your a short drive from State College and would be able to find something to do like climbing, hiking, biking, skiing and have a nightlife all with people in your age bracket.
And possibly get in between a drug shootout. Williamsport is not a good place to be. I grew up in State College and went to Penn State and I'm pretty much done with that scene. Even if I am stuck in Scranton for a year or two, I've pledged to myself that if I have to leave my job and go somewhere else, I will.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
And possibly get in between a drug shootout.
You think that this place is any better?

Old 09-11-2010, 06:56 PM

273 posts, read 957,196 times
Quote:
I (and many others I think) would be interested in your experience as you 'explore' Scranton and NEPA. Please post occasionally.

IMO, despite its shortcomings the area has plenty to offer if you seek it out, especially if you have a good job. As with any area, take what it has to give rather than trying to make it something it isn't.

Don't limit your scope to just Scranton. Life is often about what you make of it and which half of the glass you choose to play in. There are many places in this state, country and world. Few are perfect.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:13 PM

405 posts, read 1,279,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskyz View Post

IMO, despite its shortcomings the area has plenty to offer if you seek it out, especially if you have a good job. As with any area, take what it has to give rather than trying to make it something it isn't.
Life is often about what you make of it and which half of the glass you choose to play in. There are many places in this state, country and world. Few are perfect.

Some good avdvice...and even better cliche's.
But cliche's don't pay the mortage or put food on the table.
A liveable wage does.
And many will agree that's hard to find around here -- especially now.
Many people here can't a find a good job...or any job for that matter.
I don't think anyone who is hurting in these hard times is looking for
the perfect place...just a place where they can make a decent living.

Last edited by GM1258; 09-12-2010 at 12:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania