U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-01-2007, 07:06 AM

5 posts, read 12,678 times
Default 1927 Shenandoah HS yearbook

I just turned 70 and I'm going through the stuff that I have accumulated over the years. My Mother graduated from Shenandoah High School in 1927 and I have her high school year book in excellent condition. I would like to donate it to some type of historical society - if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

I remember visiting my grandparents many times over the years of my youth - they lived in a small community by the name of Rapahanock (sp). The Rap (as they called it) was simply a road stretching up the hill to the coal mine with company owned houses on each side of the unpaved road. My guess it had about 70 to 100 homes.

Down the hill was a larger community by the name of Girardville. I remember that as a child it was a thriving community with two movie theaters. Later on when I visited by grandparents as a service member stationed in New York, the town seemed to be dying. Both theaters had closed and the "down town" area was filled with vacated business places. How depressing it was - I hope that things have changed for the better.

The last time I visited was in 1959 just as I was discharged from the US Coast Guard. One evening I walked down the hill to a local bar to have a beer or two. Obviously, the other patrons knew each other and my entrance was like a cowboy movie when the stranger enters - everyone looks but tries not to be obvious. After about ten minutes a guy sidled up to me and asked what brought me there. When I told him that I was visiting my grandparents and gave them their name, it was as if I were a rediscovered, long lost relative.

Evidently, my Mother was a part of the local yore and they told me the story. In the winter, the kids all sledded down the road leading to the colliery but stopped well short of the train tracks at the end of the hill. When she was about ten years old she accepted a dare to go down the hill and stop just short of a moving train. Away she went as she approached the train tracks her sled hit an area where there was no snow causing the sled to stop dead but allowing her to continue on into the path of the moving train. Fortunately, she slid right through to the other side without being hit by the wheels. My mother – the local heroine!

Across the flat from the Rap was a small community known as Connerton. My memory is that this was simply a semi-busy road with small businesses and homes on each side. I went to school there for a short period of time in a one-room school and I think it was in Connerton.

The “Big City” in the area was Shenandoah and as a child, it seemed to me that it was miles and miles away from the Rap (probably only few in real life).

Forgive me, I didn’t mean to bore you with my memories.

If anyone lives in this area and can update me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Bill Schultz

Grandfather – Joseph Komarowsky
Grandmother – Anna Komarowsky
Mother – Julia Komarowsky Schultz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-29-2007, 05:00 PM

2 posts, read 5,923 times
Default Shenandoah!

Hello, and I enjoyed reading your memories about Shenandoah. My late father, William J. Strolis,grew up in Shenandoah. I was born and live in NY, but have gone back a few times to visit the town, the area, and check on his parents and siblings graves. I always feel close to my father when I visit, eventhough he left after college - WW2, and only went back to visit. He told me many funny stories about growing up there ! I would enjoy hearing from anyone else who had family from there ! Sincerely, Mary

Unread 08-05-2007, 06:05 AM

5 posts, read 12,678 times
Mary:

Thanks for chiming in.

My Grandfather was a deliberate soft spoken man and I love him very much. During my visits we frequently took long walks in the evening and except for answering my questions, he had little to say. Occasionally, we would stop and he would tell me a story about the setting or the people in the house that we were in front of.

This was during World War II and folk would hang a special flag in their front window indicating how many in their family were serving in our Armed Forces (a star on the flag for each member). From time to time, he would point out the flag and tell me an anecdote about the soldier or sailor represented by the star.

One day I went with him to get his pay from the mine. When we arrived, several hundred of the miners were gathered around. As the appointed time grew near; they began to queue up in front of a table. It was an outdoors setting and I noticed that beyond the paymasters table there were approximately 10-15 other small tables set up with people sitting at the table with an upside down hat or a bowl centered on the top.

Employers paid in cash back then and after my Grandfather received and signed for his money, he stopped momentarily at each of the tables. Some he simply gave a nod or another short greeting and others he stopped and passed a few brief remarks. A few he introduced me as his “wonderful grandson who traveled all of the way from Detroit, Michigan.” As he went by, he would drop a few coins into the hat or bowl but at two of the tables he gave nothing.

On the way back down the hill, I asked who the people were that were at the tables. He told me that these were either injured minors or the family of minors who were killed or injured on the job. When I asked him why he didn’t contribute to the two, he told me that while they had been hurt on the job they had recovered sufficiently to return to work and had chosen not to.

I don’t know if he was right or wrong in withholding from the two injured minors but I learned something about how a welfare system worked at its best – every penny the he gave went directly to the person in need without any “administration” costs.

My first experience down the road to conservatism.

Unread 11-09-2007, 06:47 AM

1 posts, read 3,142 times
Default yearbook

Hello. My wife and I have set up a little museum dedicated to the Shenandoah area and the old school that I attended. (J.W. Cooper, the Lehigh Building, the Library Building, the Wilson Building) We have photos, some school desks, and other stuff displayed. There have been some people from Wilkes Barre, Hazleton and Shenandoah areas who have a sincere appreciation for things of the past, and it is always nice to share recollections of a bygone era. Anyhow, an old yearbook would add a nice touch to the display and would be accorded a prominent location. We would pay any postage costs associated with sending it. The address is Karen Trubela, 530 Creek Road, Wapwallopen, PA 18660. Thank you.

Unread 11-09-2007, 12:37 PM

755 posts, read 1,452,056 times
My grandmother grew up in Shenandoah. Her name was Frances Gailushas. She and a sister Eleanor and a brother but I don't remember his name. I don't know much about her growing up there but I remember vaguely visiting the area when I was a child. Not sure if anyone still there knew her. She was born in 1921 and passed away in 1997.

Unread 12-14-2007, 12:52 AM

1 posts, read 3,110 times
Default Hi,Relatives(May be)

I was born in Russia,and now I live in Germany with my german family.
I have lost all my relatives I had been 14 years old.
It would be interesting to look these notes through.May be I could find something to help me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Schultz View Post
I just turned 70 and I'm going through the stuff that I have accumulated over the years. My Mother graduated from Shenandoah High School in 1927 and I have her high school year book in excellent condition. I would like to donate it to some type of historical society - if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

I remember visiting my grandparents many times over the years of my youth - they lived in a small community by the name of Rapahanock (sp). The Rap (as they called it) was simply a road stretching up the hill to the coal mine with company owned houses on each side of the unpaved road. My guess it had about 70 to 100 homes.

Down the hill was a larger community by the name of Girardville. I remember that as a child it was a thriving community with two movie theaters. Later on when I visited by grandparents as a service member stationed in New York, the town seemed to be dying. Both theaters had closed and the "down town" area was filled with vacated business places. How depressing it was - I hope that things have changed for the better.

The last time I visited was in 1959 just as I was discharged from the US Coast Guard. One evening I walked down the hill to a local bar to have a beer or two. Obviously, the other patrons knew each other and my entrance was like a cowboy movie when the stranger enters - everyone looks but tries not to be obvious. After about ten minutes a guy sidled up to me and asked what brought me there. When I told him that I was visiting my grandparents and gave them their name, it was as if I were a rediscovered, long lost relative.

Evidently, my Mother was a part of the local yore and they told me the story. In the winter, the kids all sledded down the road leading to the colliery but stopped well short of the train tracks at the end of the hill. When she was about ten years old she accepted a dare to go down the hill and stop just short of a moving train. Away she went as she approached the train tracks her sled hit an area where there was no snow causing the sled to stop dead but allowing her to continue on into the path of the moving train. Fortunately, she slid right through to the other side without being hit by the wheels. My mother – the local heroine!

Across the flat from the Rap was a small community known as Connerton. My memory is that this was simply a semi-busy road with small businesses and homes on each side. I went to school there for a short period of time in a one-room school and I think it was in Connerton.

The “Big City” in the area was Shenandoah and as a child, it seemed to me that it was miles and miles away from the Rap (probably only few in real life).

Forgive me, I didn’t mean to bore you with my memories.

If anyone lives in this area and can update me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Bill Schultz

Grandfather – Joseph Komarowsky
Grandmother – Anna Komarowsky
Mother – Julia Komarowsky Schultz

Unread 07-30-2008, 01:25 PM

347 posts, read 740,832 times
Girardville has only gotten worse over the years, but every year it pulls in over 10,000 people for a St. Patricks Day parade (just something intersting).

Unread 12-06-2008, 08:37 AM

2 posts, read 5,923 times
Hi, John. I wrote earlier about my father growing up in Shen., but, his older sister, Regina Strolis, was a school teacher there. I don't remember what school he said she taught,but, it was an elementary. She never married, and lived in the family home on Est. Lloyd and Emmerick untill she passed away. I have all of my father's HS yearbooks 1930-33. I have tried to research where my Aunt taught, but, I guess the records don't go back that far ! She must have taught in the 20's-30's.They probably didn't have yearbooks for elementary schools back then ! I do have a photo of my father and his class that must be from around 1920. If you like, I could make a copy and send it to you for your museum. Truly, Mary Strolis Schulz

Unread 12-06-2008, 08:55 AM

463 posts, read 882,639 times
A few months ago I turned up at a family-owned eatery in Girardville (I forget the name, anyone know what it was? It's the place with all the dollar bills on the wall) It had EXCELLENT cheesesteaks and a wonderful atmosphere. I'd go back there in a second if I lived closer.

Unread 05-02-2009, 11:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,446 times
Hi, My grandparents and mother and uncles and aunts xome from Shenandoah, Pa.My grandparents were Vincent & Stella Pietkiewicz (came from Poland) My mom Claire, my aunts and uncles are Helen, Gertude (gertie), Eleanor, Clem, Leo and Henry. My grandfather printed and edited and wrote the Polish newspaper. My mom was born in 1919 and died in 1979, Helen was a little older, and all the others came after my mom. Leo and Eleanor are still alive and live in Walnut Creek Calif and Santa Clara California. The others migrated to New Jersey where they lived with their families. There were 13 grand children and 5 or more great grand children and 3 or more great great grandchildren. Henry was the only one who stayed in Shenandoah and continued on with the Polish newspaper until he moved on to mifflenberg, Pa.Most of us are spread out between North/Central New Jersey and California with one other near Atlanta, Georgia. If anyone remembers my grandpartents or my mom (claire) and her siblings please contact me.(they lived on loyd st not sure if east or west) ([EMAIL="realestgurl@msn.com"]realestgurl@msn.com[/EMAIL]) was in Shenandoah around 2001 for a short visit to my grandparents gravesite up on the Mountain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania