Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 03:52 PM

18 posts, read 47,616 times

Advertisements

I would like to know if anyone has insight into the Western Wayne School District. I am considering relocating to the area - my husband is set on Wayne but I have read mixed reviews. I am interested in the academics and athletics, clubs, etc. My kids will learn to adapt to dress code, etc.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 05:29 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,137,741 times
This was just in the paper the other day ..

Western Wayne plans to appeal low grade from state Education Dept. - Honesdale, PA - Wayne Independent

Old 09-19-2010, 05:32 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,656,403 times
I was a 1989 graduate of Western Wayne. It was a decent school district then, I can't say for sure how it is now. I know they had some problems there a few years ago, but I haven't heard anything negative since then. My friend's daughter goes there and she hasn't reported any problems.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:02 PM

WOW! That article opens your eyes. I am a little concerned because my youngest does struggle with reading some. Here on LI she received support services for this. What about local private schools? Or should I just make sure to move into another district? Will the districts in Wayne County allow inter-disctrict transfers? Or are you only allowed to attend the school where your address is assigned?
Thanks alot.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:56 AM

Wayne highlands is a great school district ( Honesdale area )

Old 09-20-2010, 08:54 PM

996 posts, read 3,277,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3crazykids View Post
WOW! That article opens your eyes. I am a little concerned because my youngest does struggle with reading some. Here on LI she received support services for this. What about local private schools? Or should I just make sure to move into another district? Will the districts in Wayne County allow inter-disctrict transfers? Or are you only allowed to attend the school where your address is assigned?
Thanks alot.

Western Wayne, Wayne Highlands, and Wallenpaupack Area are the three districts in Wayne County. As far as I know, your kids attend the school district to which you pay property taxes, so you should perhaps visit the three schools and try to decide before you buy a home.

I graduated from Western Wayne (25 years ago), and have neices and nephews that are there now that have no complaints. They are building a new elementary school on Route 191 outside of Hamlin that will replace two very old schools in Hamlin and Lake Ariel.

I have four kids ranging in age from elementary to high school to college that have all attended Wallenpaupack schools and we are happy with the district. However, in my opinion, school is what the parents and students make of it. Students that do not have informed/involved parents can fail in what are considered the "best" school districts, while students that want to acheive will do so regardless of how well their school stacks up compared to others.

All three districts share early intervention resources, so if your child should need them, they would be available.

Western Wayne School District

Wallenpaupack Area School District

Old 09-21-2010, 05:14 AM

Thanks alot Greentown. I know that parents make the difference in the schooling. I have seen some parents who look at the school as babysitting. No involvement at all. I have read reviews online from parents and students of Western Wayne and these kids are still getting into Ivy Leagues so it can't be that bad. Mind at ease.... thanks again.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:01 PM

809 posts, read 1,330,335 times
My children graduated from Western Wayne within the past 5 years. Both got full paid merit scholarships (tuition) to 2 different private colleges. Several of their friends rec'd scholarships to Ivy League schools as well. As one person said, many parents feel the school is a babysitting service.
Parents need to be involved, as well as the student being a well rounded student. They have as many choices as any school. It all depends what the student chooses to do. It required alot of effort of their part, sometimes it was almost too much, but they stuck with it and it paid off. We have always made them understand anything worthwhile is hard. Good luck.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
My children graduated from Western Wayne within the past 5 years. Both got full paid merit scholarships (tuition) to 2 different private colleges. Several of their friends rec'd scholarships to Ivy League schools as well. As one person said, many parents feel the school is a babysitting service.
Parents need to be involved, as well as the student being a well rounded student. They have as many choices as any school. It all depends what the student chooses to do. It required alot of effort of their part, sometimes it was almost too much, but they stuck with it and it paid off. We have always made them understand anything worthwhile is hard. Good luck.

Awesome .. I hope my kids make me as proud as you must be .. Kudos ...

Old 09-22-2010, 01:56 PM

809 posts, read 1,330,335 times
Riverside4ever,
Thanks, we are extremely proud of them as well as many of their friends!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania