Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 02:09 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,623,549 times

Advertisements

I have several Wiccan friends, great people, widely misunderstood by many...there are quite a few around the Scranton area, but it isnt widely known or publicized..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 02:11 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,084,230 times
i was out of the area when the smurl thing happened--but i went to school with janet(the mother of the kids)---she was a terrific person and very actively praticing her faith--walking down the street occasionally to visit the nearest church to pray when some of our group would go(at least monthly)----goes to show you that one never knows when one can encounter malignant spirits---when i returned for a visit and asked one of our classmates about it there was mention of one of the kids previously using a ouija board before this all happened-----i do hope her life is going well now

Old 10-06-2010, 07:36 PM

996 posts, read 1,056,302 times
Well Auntie - I know that little creek still exists but I don't know about recent development (I'm not about to go walking through other people's yards or property). I will ask about it when I visit with some of the guys at Ram's club next month and maybe take a ride/walk around the area.

I think alot has to do with the state of a person's mind and/or willingness to believe in spirits and such - but strange things do indeed happen.

I'm not a church-goer, guess I'm an agnostic/borderline aetheist - I don't believe in the powers of quija boards and religious icons, but I don't discount strange happenings and I believe your story.

Not saying one way is right or wrong - different strokes for different strokes.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:20 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times
I have had so many experiences of this nature. This stuff really facinates me!
I am glad to hear that quite a few of you are at least open to the possibility that the paranormal exists.
Because it really does.
There is evil in this world and one of the easiest ways to become entangled in it is by the use of the Ouija board. My point STAY AMAY FROM THAT THING!
It really can open gateways that that difficult if not impossible to close.

Like John I know a few Wiccans and they are not at all evil or involved wih Satanism.
As Ilona said, Satan is not even a part of their belief system.
They are spiritual and kind people.

The US Armed forces even recognizes Wicca as a Religion. A few years ago we were burying my MIL at a National Cemetary in Calverton for Vets and their spouses.
I was surprised to see that the pentagram - the symbol of wicca was one of the approved sympols for memorial stones!

Sawomething on TV the other night about a haunting in Tunkanock. Involving the Coven of the Cat.
The haunting was NOT caused by the coven but by the ignrant people of the town who burned down a house with a cat inside because they thought the people in the coven were Satanists.

The leader of the coven was a Dr. The cat haunted the new owners of the house.

Pretty creepy!
Anyone see that or know anything about it?

Old 10-06-2010, 08:24 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,779,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
the area of the cottage in thornhurst was a meeting place for covens from the tristate area---that explained the stones in the woods(i foolishly thought that was just some cute placement by those that owned all the marked hunting land in the area(and yes,we were young and foolishly camping in their woods------one of the explanations given to me by sybil's acquaintances was that this entity could have been summoned during a ritual----some of the older newspapers spoke of a fire that claimed an entire family in the 1900's,another news story told of a body found in the stream in the mid 1920's---the exact location just generally given---the roads in the area were primarily dirt and not paved except for the main ones going towards the road that intersected with the one at the food stand area and the one that brought you past the general store(the one that went the backway from the cottage and came out near the church was all gravel----do not recall any street names given in the articles
when i described the entity to sybil and her associates they determined by my description of how it looked and what it said and wanted that it had been around for a long time----some one from the U that was with me in nyc at the time asked around when he returned to school and was told that the area was the scene of a huge drug party in the early 60's and 2 people died during this time--one by his own hand(never was able to verify this and really didn't want to)

my main focus was to try to understand what happened to me in that area so i could do all i could to avoid a locale in which those things never happened to me again
That name Sybil Leek sounds so familiar to me, i've heard it before, where did she live? Now this is going to bother me until i figure it out.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:28 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,779,954 times
I looked up Sybil Leek on Google, mystery solved for me.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:30 PM

996 posts, read 1,056,302 times
o.k. sheena &/or others...

What is so significant about a ouija board? I admit that I don't know that much about them, I think I messed around with one once as a kid - but I personally preferred Tonka trucks..

My point is-

Anyone can buy a Ouija board in a toy store for a few bucks. It's just a piece of decorated cardboard and a piece to lay your fingers on... Why can't folks just use a piece of stone and a square of butcher block?

That comes back to my point of a person having the mindset/willingness...

I'm honestly curious..

Old 10-06-2010, 08:32 PM

It was called Coven of the Catta. The jeader of the coven was a Dr Santee.
The show was on Animal Planet.

Sybil Leek is very famous. As is Hans Holtzer. Just google them.

The Smurl family worked woth Ed and Lorraine Warren from Connecticut. They are Demonologists and have written many books on the subject.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:35 PM

You are right Varmintblaster - ANYONE can purchase a Oija board and use it.
The spirits who respond are low

Old 10-06-2010, 08:47 PM

OK Varmintblaster you are right - anyone can purchase a oija board and use it. That is sort of the problem.
The device itself is not evil - just a piece of painted particle board with a plastic thing called a planchette.
The users put their fingers lightly on the planchette and if they are sensitive and lucky - or IMO unlucky the thing starts to move and to spell put messages.

The spirits that are contacted are mostly low lever spirits. They hook you in by pretending to be your dead aunt or some one. Then things can start to turn ugly.

The spirates you contact may be entities - discarnates looking to speak to anyone.
They also may be demons.

Really be very very careful about this thing. There is a lot on the net about it.
I would be happy to share my own horrendous experience in HS and college.

I would not use that thing again for a million bucks!

Not even in these economic times!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania