U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 08:21 AM

4 posts, read 5,145 times
Default moving to wilkes-barre, where to live?

I just accepted a job offer in Wilkes-Barre, I am a single woman just out of college. Wondering where the best area would be for me to live? I've heard a lot of conflicting views on Wilkes-Barre and would like an insider's perspective. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 09:06 AM

14,236 posts, read 7,883,497 times
Depends on what you want to spend for rent and where in WB your job is located.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:18 AM

996 posts, read 250,151 times
Kit - I will offer you a financial tip. Check out the neighboring communities just outside of WB city limits that levy a 1% earned income tax on it's residents -vs- the outrageous 3% WB tax.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:43 AM

10,489 posts, read 8,140,523 times
I would live in Wilkes Barre City If I were your age, The outlying areas are pretty suburban or rural with few people youe age.

Rents are reasonable by must city standards. In Sunday's paper there were many apartments three rooms - for any where from 395 to 600!

There was a part of a Victoruan brownstone with three badrooms and a fireplace going for 8 and change - not bad with a roomate and in the historic district,

I am new here myself but iy seems that many people your age live near the local solleges - Kings and Wilkes.

Stay away from Carey Ave and Academy. North End is nice with many rentals for younger people.
The Historic District is lovely and while it is tecnically part of South it is not the area to which I refer.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:37 AM

3,976 posts, read 2,701,860 times
Kit, you can find reasonable rents and pleasant communities in and around Wilkes-Barre. As far as Varmintblaster's suggestion that you look into some of the surrounding communities, there might be a <gasp!> 10 or 15 minute commute to your job if you opt to live outside the city limits. If you find that prohibitive, then by all means, try to find a place to live next door to your employment. But if you live in Plains Twp, or Kingston, or Forty Fort, or Swoyersville, or Wyoming Boro, you'll have all the amenities you need and still be close to work.

Even if you opt to live in Pittston or Mountain Top you'll still be what is considered "local".

I hope you don't plan on relying on public transport - it's not a 24/7 operation and you'll be limited if you don't have a car.

There are so many options for living, shopping, entertainment, dining out, and recreation that you'll have a great time trying them all. And when you want to go to NYC, or Philadelphia, or to the Jersey Shore, you're roughly two hours give or take from any of them.

Welcome to the area, and keep asking questions.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:00 PM

996 posts, read 250,151 times
Good points gypsy. It is important for a newcomer to do a cost/benefit analysis based on their personal needs and desires.

For most folks, an extra 2% tax burden on their gross income is an eye opener when they are considering taking up residence in WB city.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:09 PM

4 posts, read 5,145 times
thanks so much everybody... I am trying to figure out housing now. I'm planning on going down there tomorrow to look at some places and have a look around. I'm trying to decide between an apartment complex versus a duplex or house apartment type of situation. My issue is I'm not going to know anyone so I'll want to be somewhere near restaurants/bars so its convenient to meet people from work or such. I really appreciate everyone's input, it helps a lot!

Old 09-27-2010, 02:00 PM

14,236 posts, read 7,883,497 times
I would go with a duplex or small house vs an apartment building or complex. There are too many variables when you get too many people living under the same roof (so to speak).

I live in the Heights with my husband and two kids. We are very happy here. We are about 5 minutes (driving) and 15 minutes (walking) distance from downtown WB.

Good luck and I'll be happy to help you with any other questions!

Old 09-27-2010, 03:55 PM

25,850 posts, read 44,078,454 times
I'm 23, and if and when I decide to move back to Luzerne County from the South I'd prefer Downtown Wilkes-Barre as my first choice, followed by Kingston, a dense and relatively upper-middle-class inner suburb just across the river, as a formidable runner-up. Forty Fort, just above Kingston, would be third, but it is a bit sleepy for my tastes in comparison to Downtown W-B or Kingston. I grew up in Pittston Twp. and would never move back because it's essentially evolving into suburbia on steroids with all of the drawbacks without any of the benefits to counterbalance them.

Wilkes-Barre gets a lot of bad press from people, but while it's nothing to rave about it has come a long way over the past 4-6 years in particular. It wasn't that long ago that the city was deteriorating so much that even the streetlights were collapsing onto parked cars. Now there's a great new riverfront park, Barnes & Noble, 14-screen movie theater, lofts/condos, night clubs, ethnic restaurants, specialty retailers, etc. King's and Wilkes each continue to revamp their surrounding neighborhoods. Wilkes-Barre's nightlife scene has really improved year after year to the point where there is now heavy foot traffic at times along the first two blocks of South Main Street on weekend evenings.

Kingston is a bit quieter, but it's still within walking/biking distance to Downtown Wilkes-Barre. You have a lot of businesses within walking distance to homes. Crime is relatively low (save for the parts of town that border Edwardsville, which in and of itself is a town in very rough shape).

Other towns, such as Plains Twp., Hanover Twp., Wyoming, etc. work as well, but I'd try to concentrate in the immediate Wilkes-Barre/Kingston area if possible.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:58 AM

1,974 posts, read 3,165,165 times
Anywhere downtown close to Wilkes or Kings college would probably suit you. The historic district is nice close to Wilkes, and in walking distance to everything downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania