Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 01:01 PM

12 posts, read 43,710 times

Advertisements

Can anyone offer any feedback on Winona Lakes? I keep hearing that it's "the hood". What exactly does that mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 01:34 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonkeystar View Post
Can anyone offer any feedback on Winona Lakes? I keep hearing that it's "the hood". What exactly does that mean?

From whom are you hearing this? You should reveal your source(s) but I have a feeling that you know exactly what it means, especially since you are currently in NYC.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:42 PM

12 posts, read 43,710 times
Winona Lakes being referred to as "the hood" was on this blog. When I think of a rough neighborhood I think of urban areas that have fallen into disrepair with gangs running around and homeless people living on the streets. I can't quite picture that in a mountain lake community.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:01 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonkeystar View Post
Winona Lakes being referred to as "the hood" was on this blog. When I think of a rough neighborhood I think of urban areas that have fallen into disrepair with gangs running around and homeless people living on the streets. I can't quite picture that in a mountain lake community.
Having read the various posts in the forum that mentioned Winona Lakes, only one referred to it as "the hood". That reference came from someone who thinks that all of Monroe County is "the hood". If that's the impression you're getting, it would be wise to look elsewhere for your get-away. From what I can see, no one here on the forum is advising you to jump right in. If you have a lead on a property there, go to have a look for yourself. Observe the homes, the people, knock on a door or two and see what kind of impression you get. Nothing beats a first-hand look. Good luck.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:18 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,138,697 times
Not The Hood

DA HOOD ..

Holla

Old 10-02-2010, 12:46 PM

467 posts, read 1,488,877 times
Winona Lakes is far from the "hood"...the reason I said to look elsewhere is if you are looking for an
investment then I would not buy in the developments off of 209 near Stroudsburg, East Stroudsburg or
Bushkill....it's just my opinion...they are starting up again with the idiot bypass that should have long
been completed, but that's another blog..the traffic is still heavy in weekends..for years they blamed the
flea market on 209 in Marshalls Creek on that problem...Yes, it did add to the traffic, but from what I hear it's still bad...I would look up near Pocono Pines..lots of nice developments up there still rural.
Lake Naomi, Wagner's Forest, Locust Lake....

Old 10-27-2010, 03:19 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,389,507 times
I live in Winona Lakes. It's not the hood. But it's not an upscale development like some others in the Poconos. Middle-class. Decent size lots, nice mix of different housing styles (as opposed to the cookie cutter LTS developments where you can be arrested for B&E because you're trying to get into the house next door to yours). There is currently a battle royal going on between two segments of the community -- this plays out in board elections and disputes over where the dues money goes -- but you can ignore it and not be bothered by it and nothing will affect you.

I wouldn't buy here if you want to ski in the community -- we have a ski slope that hasn't opened in 2 years b/c of that dispute. But the pools are nice and we have a brand-new tennis court and playground. Roads are paved by excellent in-community crews during the winter. Dues are ~$700.

I would move out of here if I could because my kids are in the East Stroudsburg public school district, and that's horrible. But if you're just doing a second home, that wouldn't bother you.

Crime -- there's an occasional break-in or maybe once in two years I've seen graffiti on a road sign. But really nothing, considering the size of the community -- 1000-plus lots. It is a diverse development, so if seeing brown people bothers you, look elsewhere. That doesn't bother me in the least, and we get along great with everyone.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
I live in Winona Lakes. It's not the hood. But it's not an upscale development like some others in the Poconos. Middle-class. Decent size lots, nice mix of different housing styles (as opposed to the cookie cutter LTS developments where you can be arrested for B&E because you're trying to get into the house next door to yours). There is currently a battle royal going on between two segments of the community -- this plays out in board elections and disputes over where the dues money goes -- but you can ignore it and not be bothered by it and nothing will affect you.

I wouldn't buy here if you want to ski in the community -- we have a ski slope that hasn't opened in 2 years b/c of that dispute. But the pools are nice and we have a brand-new tennis court and playground. Roads are paved by excellent in-community crews during the winter. Dues are ~$700.

I would move out of here if I could because my kids are in the East Stroudsburg public school district, and that's horrible. But if you're just doing a second home, that wouldn't bother you.

Crime -- there's an occasional break-in or maybe once in two years I've seen graffiti on a road sign. But really nothing, considering the size of the community -- 1000-plus lots. It is a diverse development, so if seeing brown people bothers you, look elsewhere. That doesn't bother me in the least, and we get along great with everyone.

and lets not forget the drug dealers That operate outta saw creek,,

Go sit in the Country Squires parking lot anytime after 6 pm and watch the drug deals go down..

Old 10-27-2010, 07:02 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,389,507 times
Riverside, you do realize that Saw Creek and Winona Lakes aren't the same -- in fact, they're in different counties?

Old 10-27-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
Riverside, you do realize that Saw Creek and Winona Lakes aren't the same -- in fact, they're in different counties?

yes I know , But Saw Creek is right up the road , WL is right there ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania