Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 08:21 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,175,995 times

Advertisements

One big clarification. Open Carry is legal throughout PA, except in Philadelphia. To carry in Philly, openly or concealed, you'll need a LTCF. In the rest of the state, open carry is legal without a license while on foot.

To the OP, if you plan on bringing handguns to PA, the license to carry firearms (LTCF) is only $25 and you don't have to show need. As long as you don't have a criminal record or other disqualifying factors, they have to approve you. It will make your life a lot easier.

Here's the application with instructions:
http://www.co.venango.pa.us/Sheriff/license_to_carry.pdf (broken link)
I got mine in Lackawanna and it took 15 minutes from the time I handed the application, to the time I walked out with my LTCF. If only the DMV were that efficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 09:37 AM
r11 r11 started this thread

46 posts, read 90,345 times
The OP (me) is still very confused and I guess I will need to do some legwork after I close on the house.

What I was hoping for is that me owning a house in PA, albeit a vacation home, I could then buy, keep and practice shoot/hunt, all in PA and PA only, with a firearm that I'd acquire squarely based on what PA resident is entitled to - as in a utterly pain free process, compared to NJ insanity.

It is still not clear to me if and how it can be accomplished 100% legally, w/o breaking some obscure section/subsection of some law somewhere.
What a PITA....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
One big clarification. Open Carry is legal throughout PA, except in Philadelphia. To carry in Philly, openly or concealed, you'll need a LTCF. In the rest of the state, open carry is legal without a license while on foot.

To the OP, if you plan on bringing handguns to PA, the license to carry firearms (LTCF) is only $25 and you don't have to show need. As long as you don't have a criminal record or other disqualifying factors, they have to approve you. It will make your life a lot easier.

I got mine in Lackawanna and it took 15 minutes from the time I handed the application, to the time I walked out with my LTCF. If only the DMV were that efficient.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:51 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,827,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r11 View Post
The OP (me) is still very confused and I guess I will need to do some legwork after I close on the house.

What I was hoping for is that me owning a house in PA, albeit a vacation home, I could then buy, keep and practice shoot/hunt, all in PA and PA only, with a firearm that I'd acquire squarely based on what PA resident is entitled to - as in a utterly pain free process, compared to NJ insanity.

It is still not clear to me if and how it can be accomplished 100% legally, w/o breaking some obscure section/subsection of some law somewhere.
What a PITA....
Me too! Worse, now I'm unsure whether it's legal to purchase a rifle in NJ and bring (and store it) in a PA vacation home.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:50 PM

106,568 posts, read 108,713,667 times
dont get confused, to summerize:

a pa drivers license or dmv id card is required to buy any firearms in pa, period. nothing else is acceptable unless you already have a pa ccw permit...

you cant get a pa license or dmv id card with out surrendering your out of state license to the pa dmv.

if your primary residence is not really in pa then if you get a pa drivers license you are committing both insurance fraud and tax fraud.

that wraps up the story for pa.

if you have a nj hand gun id card your firearms must be stored at the address on your id card or if going to a range the trip must be direct to the range with no stop overs and back to the address on your nj firearms id card.

if you bring your handguns into pa and go to your house in pa your in violation of the terms of your permit and hence you are not in legal possesion of your guns.

pa law states while a permit is not required in pa for residents the guns must be legally owned and possesed. since you violated your permit terms by leaving new jersey and going to your pa house your guns arent legally possessed.

got this right from the new jersey state police when i inquired if my son can bring his guns from new jersey and shoot at the range down the road from our pa house.

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-13-2010 at 05:26 PM..

Old 10-13-2010, 05:07 PM

106,568 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post

you still need the pa drivers license or id card... while they will issue LTF licenses to out of state residents they will not issue a license unless your state issued you a full carry. if you have no full carry from another state most localities in pa will not issue you a non resident LTF.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:17 PM

539 posts, read 1,068,365 times
I'd like to get a carry permit also (mostly for keeping one in the car), I did have one in NY in the 80's, but that long expired.
My wife and I have only been in Luzerne County since the end of June, and I'm hesitant of asking any neighbors to be a reference, since we have only known them a few months. That may seem a bit presumptuous to them for such a short time.
Hopefully, once I get to know a few people from my new job, they might be "candidates". What do you think, is it presumptuous to ask the neighbors (mostly elderly women), or would they most likely sign without hesitation?

Old 10-13-2010, 05:46 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank754 View Post
I'd like to get a carry permit also (mostly for keeping one in the car), I did have one in NY in the 80's, but that long expired.
My wife and I have only been in Luzerne County since the end of June, and I'm hesitant of asking any neighbors to be a reference, since we have only known them a few months. That may seem a bit presumptuous to them for such a short time.
Hopefully, once I get to know a few people from my new job, they might be "candidates". What do you think, is it presumptuous to ask the neighbors (mostly elderly women), or would they most likely sign without hesitation?
frank754,

Several years ago I was renewing my carry permit at Monroe County's Sheriffs’ office. There was a retired NY policeman in front of me. He had only lived in PA for a few months. Sheriff Sebring told him he would not issue him a carry permit - he did not live here long enough for proper references. The retired policeman questioned our Sheriff and the Sheriff told him to come back after one year (with good references).

I don’t know how your county handles references? Apparently our local sheriff had his fill of retired police demanding carry permits. The sheriff was still angry when he issued my permit.

Call your local Sheriff's office and ask what is their policy.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:51 PM

539 posts, read 1,068,365 times
Thanks fisheye, I'm in no hurry, but it's in my eventual plan. I will do as you said, and see what they have to say.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:23 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,175,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
you still need the pa drivers license or id card... while they will issue LTF licenses to out of state residents they will not issue a license unless your state issued you a full carry. if you have no full carry from another state most localities in pa will not issue you a non resident LTF.
Ahhh, the NJ loophole. You're right, to get a PA non-resident LTCF you need to have a LTCF or CCW from your home state, unless your home state doesn't issue CCWs at all. Since NJ technically is a may-issue state, then PA requires you to have it, even though you're more likely to see the Jersey devil in person than to ever see a NJ LTCF.

Florida (Concealed Weapons or Firearm Program - Division of Licensing, FDACS) issues non-resident CCW through the mail, and it is valid in PA. They send you an application, along with fingerprint cards that you have to send back along with proof of training.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:33 PM

996 posts, read 1,056,302 times
Trucker & Others Interested:

I received answers from 3 people who should be in the know (2 Pa State Troopers) and a Kidder Twp Cop who happens to also work at a FFL gun shop.

I asked them if a NJ resident with a NJ ccw permit can carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle...
( I made no reference to the gun regs we discussed earlier)

Both of the State Police stated no due to the fact that there is no reciprocity between the states and that a NJ resident's ccw would be invalid if they crossed their state lines into Pa with a loaded handgun. - similiar to what Mathjak stated.

Both of them stated that they would confiscate the gun and arrest the gun owner.

They did mention that if the handgun was unloaded and stored separate from the ammo in a locked compartment (trunk) and that the person was traveling on an interstate highway across Pa with the intention of passing through they would be legal according to federal statutes.

The Kidder Twp cop said that the NJ gun owner with ccw would be legal in Pa. if carrying a loaded gun in a vehicle.

Who knows what the real answer is?
In most cases when dealing with the PoPo, and they are wrong, you will have to hire a high priced lawyer to find out.

My point is that folks better dot their I's and cross their T's before they travel across state lines.

In my case, I cannot even transport an unloaded handgun to my camp in upstate NY, because my final destination is within NY - very unfriendly handgun state. If I was traveling to Vermont, I would be able to transport through NY with the gun unloaded in the trunk..

Please check, double check, and triple check because the consequences can be severe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania