Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 07:55 PM

1,153 posts, read 3,601,463 times

Advertisements

can anyone tell me about this area.......hospitals, shopping, etc.....what is it like in this area during the summer verses the winter.........thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 08:15 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeds View Post
can anyone tell me about this area.......hospitals, shopping, etc.....what is it like in this area during the summer verses the winter.........thanks
Canadensis is decent. It's about 10 minutes from basic shopping, 20 minutes for more shopping, and 30 minutes to the hospital. Depending where exactly you are talking about on 191, the roads can get dangerous in the winter like anywhere else. The summer is fine, it's a quiet area. It's very close to the touristy area. As for work, it maybe hard to find. I like the Mountainhome Diner near there.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:58 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,137,741 times
Barret Township cops are THE WORST..

But the area is very nice ..

Old 10-18-2010, 06:49 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
deeds,

The biggest problem with Canadensis is convenience. If you have to watch your budget; you will travel to buy almost anything. There is not a lot of competition. 16 or 17 miles might not sound too far; but it can get old. The Shop Rite, in Mount Pocono has competitive pricing - that will be probably less than 10 miles fro you.

The hospital is located in East Stroudsburg (probably about 18 miles from your house (depending on whether your property is north or south of Canadensis). The shopping areas are all up and down Route 611 - starting in Tannersville and stretching to Stroudsburg.

Four wheel drive would be helpful in the winter. Canadensis Hill, on Route 390, can get slippery. Route 191 has some pretty good hills as you go north of Canadensis.

You did not mention schools - your children would go to Pocono Mountain.
Riverside was right about the local police - watch your speed (or you will pay).

I have heard others comment on high property taxes in that area.

I grew up in Canadensis. I live have lived in Swiftwater for many years.

Anyway; good luck and welcome to the neighborhood (if you decide to buy).

Old 10-18-2010, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
deeds,

The biggest problem with Canadensis is convenience. If you have to watch your budget; you will travel to buy almost anything. There is not a lot of competition. 16 or 17 miles might not sound too far; but it can get old. The Shop Rite, in Mount Pocono has competitive pricing - that will be probably less than 10 miles fro you.

The hospital is located in East Stroudsburg (probably about 18 miles from your house (depending on whether your property is north or south of Canadensis). The shopping areas are all up and down Route 611 - starting in Tannersville and stretching to Stroudsburg.

Four wheel drive would be helpful in the winter. Canadensis Hill, on Route 390, can get slippery. Route 191 has some pretty good hills as you go north of Canadensis.

You did not mention schools - your children would go to Pocono Mountain.
Riverside was right about the local police - watch your speed (or you will pay).

I have heard others comment on high property taxes in that area.

I grew up in Canadensis. I live have lived in Swiftwater for many years.

Anyway; good luck and welcome to the neighborhood (if you decide to buy).

Old 10-18-2010, 09:27 AM

Default Canadensis........Is 191 a busy route?....School not an issue but how r Mt. Pocono schools?

Wondering if this route is busy.......Home we r trying to buy is near a pottery company?...........Seems like a nice and quiet area...........

Old 10-18-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeds View Post
Wondering if this route is busy.......Home we r trying to buy is near a pottery company?...........Seems like a nice and quiet area...........

You also have Weiler brush company on that road so You'll have some traffic during the week , and prob more on the weekends with tourists

Old 10-19-2010, 03:06 PM

467 posts, read 1,488,717 times
If you are buying near Holley Ross Pottery, nice area, very quiet. But as someone else said 4 wheel drive
is probably the best for the winter. Best shopping for groceries would be the Shop Rite in Mt. Pocono.
Restaurants on 611. I wouldn't say the route is busy. I would have thoughts about the school system,
though Mt. Pocono...if you have school age children.....Not the greatest. Good luck

Old 10-20-2010, 06:54 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Riverside4ever,

First thanks for my approval. I do not think of Weiler Brush as any problem. Actually, during the vacation months; Promise Land and the RV traffic can be more problematic. However, right now; Route 390 is closed just north of Skytop - bad bridge.

Delray Patty,

With the Holly Ross Pottery area; you are out of Monroe County. That falls in Wayne County. Not too far from Pike County. These have different school districts and a different tax structure.

deeds,

Actually, to be more helpful; we should know a little more about why you are considering buying in Canadensis. If you are retired, with no children; that is one thing. If you have to commute and have children; that would be more demanding. I did enjoy the area growing up. That was many years ago and things have changed. It depends on your expectations.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:00 AM

Default Buying a future home for retirement...Any feedback on Saylorsburg Pa

Looking to buy something for the future.....youngest child 15.....will stay with our perm home till they graduate HS...though we did not get home in
Canandesis we bid on someone else got it.....we r still looking in that area....somewhat quiet and charming which appealed to us.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania