Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 01:12 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
tcwest - Although I agree with the balance of your message, the first sentence of your post struck me the same way it did to I Love PA!

Just a little side comment from this dog lover.
Rockky..........how was that trip of yours? Raining a bit?
I was saddened by that posting. From TC west, It was so mean spirited.
The beloved Peaches was a Lasa Apso. She would play golf with
my husband. She would walk the ocean beaches, and swim in those
little water areas that surround a piling of the piers.
Once, she found one to be a bit too deep, and she was a bit startled.
She even saved us from a huge, huge, bear........by backing us up, with
her horror of a growl.....so we would go no further.
As a puppy she would take off a baseball cap and run away with it, leaving the owner to chase her, whilst everyone laughed.
A class clown she was. Loved by the entire family who shed many tears
over her.
The message is way too mixed up for me. From flamingos, to the DENTIST!
The people in the Vets office I saw, were just as normal as everyone I knew while living in NJ for many, many years.........The posting was strange.

Last edited by Summering; 08-06-2007 at 01:43 PM..

Old 08-06-2007, 03:33 PM

1,649 posts, read 5,001,032 times
Summering - The trip was wonderful!!! The only time was saw rain was when we were driving. There was a little bit when we toured Newgrange in Ireland, but otherwise we had lovely weather. The flooding started right after we left England, and it was in the area where we were. Thanks for asking.

Your little puppers must have been amazing! My little Boston grandcritter is visiting us now. They are a wonderful breed..such little clowns. I just love having her here.

weluvpa - I thought I'd mention to you that Pa "Dutch" is a corruption of the word "Deutsch". Deutschland is Germany. I don't want to validate the OP...I don't have time for trollish stuff, but Deutsch isn't really Dutch. It's German.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
Summering - The trip was wonderful!!! The only time was saw rain was when we were driving. There was a little bit when we toured Newgrange in Ireland, but otherwise we had lovely weather. The flooding started right after we left England, and it was in the area where we were. Thanks for asking.

Your little puppers must have been amazing! My little Boston grandcritter is visiting us now. They are a wonderful breed..such little clowns. I just love having her here.

weluvpa - I thought I'd mention to you that Pa "Dutch" is a corruption of the word "Deutsch". Deutschland is Germany. I don't want to validate the OP...I don't have time for trollish stuff, but Deutsch isn't really Dutch. It's German.
Thank you Rockky....for defending the Lasa, we all still cry about her.
And yes.........thought about you over there........they kept showing us so much water and floods. So glad you were in a safe area, and had a great time.
Pa is all so beautiful, isn't it strange we have to defend it?
Welcome home............

Old 08-06-2007, 05:07 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times
Well I apologize since I am not PA Dutch and was not born in germany I did not know that, but if Mr. Gump was born in Germany then maybe he would know the difference between Dutch and Duetsch and would a bit more clear on his statements again if he would know that then he should be aware of the regional dialects and the differences that are common in outher languages even here in the USA we have several different dialects of the english language each with their own subtle differences. Either way I think he was complaining about himself more than the residents of the Jim Thorpe area.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:20 AM

92 posts, read 298,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
tcwest.......can you tell me where you are coming from. The posting was about my beloved dog. The vet was not from Jim Thorpe.......
The last Pink flamingo I saw was lined up across a front yard in New Jersey.
I do not know what your talking about in the post.
But, this was a dog loved by myself and my family......the dog was born in Pa.......lived in New Jersey most of her life.......and died in Pa.
Your posting about "whatever" was strange in the least.
Sure. Which part was unclear? I'd be more than happy to help you out here.
Let me just try and guess at what tripped you up. Put down the knitting needles for a minute. We won't need any weapons here.
First, let's remind ourselves of the thread topic. The originator disliked living in PA 'big time', and proceeded to say why. I responded to that.
A.) Clearly, I should have cut and pasted the very first post in the thread...but I would not have been able to work in the failed humor of the imagined frenetic hillbilly response to your dog story. The first line of my post was intended to be read as Forest Drive's reaction to your telling of the trip to the vet. The humor failed, because I had no way of knowing how sensitive you were. I apologize for the unintended insult...but not for the ones that follow.
B.) The 'Pink Flamingo' is analogous to not standing out when you first arrive in a new town. Again, not about the dog. It's about the thread topic.
C.) The 'dentist' is a reference to the "toothless hillbilly" comment made in the followup posts. Once again, not about the dog, although it looks like we're not going to be able to get past that.
D.) I feel like I walked into a small coffee shop with poop on my boots, and everybody's staring. This is clearly a private conversation between you and a few others, and I stuck my nose in. I'm a well-received humorist with a bimonthly column in a tiny little newspaper, but here I am...accused of being a crude dog-hating drunk who can't make his point clearly. Talk about a small-town mentality! Quick, everybody! Jump on the new guy!!
You know what? I'll leave you folks to your conversation about the weather and the trips and the 'dead indian', and take my lawn ornament commentary to another thread. Hopefully, I can find one that accepts new participants without overly stifling moderation.
My condolences to you and your family for your loss. May time heal your pain.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:35 PM

Default Fine

TCWest......Thank you for the information. I love humor myself. Sometimes I think the postings on city-data are way too serious. After all this is just a helpful opinion site. I didn't know you were a new poster, and I hope you continue on.
The little Lasa is still a raw subject. So yes, I am a bit sensitive about her right now. It only happened in June and it was such a hard time and day for us that, I guess any humor about it........pierces the heart.
Lets forget it and go forward.......
Now I think this thread was about......Jim Thorpe. In the valley of those tremendous beautiful mountains.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:54 PM

2 posts, read 4,838 times
My friend I hope you've left the area. I moved from NJ to The Jim Thorpe Area 6 years ago. I moved because my taxes got me no services, I had to put my children in Catholic schools because they needed an six-pack and a gun to make it in the Jersey public schools!! And after retreiving my children from school on 9/11 with the United States Air Force Bombers flying over my car, i realized it was time to move my family to a kinder place.
I am educated (Masters in Social Work) I work in Lehighton and find the home-grown people of this area bright, generous, and loving.
The people of this area who are arrogant and ignorrant (at least in my experience) are transplants who came here for a different life style and then bring the same foolish, rude, and egocentric attitudes here with them!!!
Speaking as an outsider, you embarrass us when you demean the people and lifestyle of this area. You are who the good people who have come here to live a better life want to stay right in the bigger cities where you fit in. And who the local people critcize for being so judgemental and arrogant.
Hope others who are thinking or visiting the area will take heed of the numerous postings that dispute the negative characterization of this area!

Old 08-18-2007, 12:08 AM

4 posts, read 3,814 times
I love how the city people's first comment about small towns is the "fat" and "no teeth/hillbilly" remarks.Sit in downtown Jim Thorpe on the weekend and watch these disgusting,ignorant New York and New Jersey people walking around.I've never seen such disgusting excuses for humans in my life!The typical woman is the scrawney,85 lbs. soaking wet tatooed-nose peirced-parrot nose who looks like a walking aids or hepitits case.Just what the town needs.Oh and don't forget the guys holding hands.That's always fun explaining that one to my young son.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:59 AM

4 posts, read 3,814 times
Jim Thorpe isn't an artsy-fartsy culture town.It's a coal mining town with a history of hard working blue collar workers and families.If that's so hard for the city weirdos to understand,why are they all flocking here?Nothing like going from a nice quiet,traditional,small hometown to one of NYC culture trying to be rammed down our throat.Never was interested....never will be.Oh I also think all the *****s in the high school was a nice added touch by the New Yorkers.That's just the culture our kids need.Weirdos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania