Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 01:51 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,238,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
Absolutely, why would you think otherwise?
Very rarely have I known your Average Joe to take 3am strolls around the city. LOL

Usually they are out drinking, drugging, or doing something less than "good".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 01:52 PM

32,613 posts, read 77,439,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Is it normal for people not doing something surly to take late-night strolls?
I routinely walked around Downtown Wilkes-Barre late at night while a student at King's who took night classes. I very rarely felt threatened. Yes, there IS non-surly foot traffic in Wilkes-Barre after dark, and most of us don't feel uncomfortable doing so. Take any precautions you'd normally take in any urban area, and you'll be fine.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
I routinely walked around Downtown Wilkes-Barre late at night while a student at King's who took night classes. I very rarely felt threatened. Yes, there IS non-surly foot traffic in Wilkes-Barre after dark, and most of us don't feel uncomfortable doing so. Take any precautions you'd normally take in any urban area, and you'll be fine.
At 3am? Really?

Meh. I wouldn't walk ANYWHERE @ 3AM. Not Wilkes-Barre, White Haven or anywhere else.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:01 PM

32,613 posts, read 77,439,770 times
Quote:
At 3am? Really?

Meh. I wouldn't walk ANYWHERE @ 3AM. Not Wilkes-Barre, White Haven or anywhere else.
3 AM wasn't referenced until after I had already begun typing/posting that reply. Sorry for the confusion. There were plentiful times when I'd go to a night class from 6 PM - 8:30 PM and then study or do work at a computer lab until 11 PM, meaning I was walking back to my car between 11 PM and 11:30 PM. At that time I never felt threatened. Admittedly I have no idea what the "street life" is like in Wilkes-Barre at 3 AM.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:02 PM

996 posts, read 1,052,491 times
Quote:
Very rarely have I known your Average Joe to take 3am strolls around the city. LOL

Usually they are out drinking, drugging, or doing something less than "good".
You hang with the wrong crowd.

I know many people that work 2nd shift jobs and are fine upstanding citizens.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:06 PM

996 posts, read 1,052,491 times
Quote:
At 3am? Really?

You better steer clear of White Haven - there are a few guys (including me) that may climb the river bank after night fishing, or stroll out of the woods after a coyote hunt wearing fatigues, a little red light, and carrying a black rifle...

It's funny - no one even raises an eyebrow...

Old 10-29-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
You hang with the wrong crowd.

I know many people that work 2nd shift jobs and are fine upstanding citizens.
I don't hang around any crowd that goes out at 3am. I'm sleeping.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:07 PM

889 posts, read 2,567,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
.... - to take in a lecture being presented by a historian about The Pennsylvania Dutch practice of Pow Wow it's roots in Europe and it's growth in the region.
Not to be elitist, but since you went to a history lecture, the correct term is Pennsylvania German, not Pennsylvania Dutch. There's a full history of this, I hope the history lecturer knew that and mentioned it.

If you're interested, there's a group that has a huge amount of info on the culture: Welcome to the PA German Society~ A Nonprofit, Educational Organization.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:07 PM

23,973 posts, read 32,296,294 times
Listen carefully, I think that varmintblaster is inviting me to take a walk at 3AM in a rather seedy part of WB just so I can see some druggies, get mugged, watch someone get mugged or have an otherwise unplesant experience.

I will pass.

There are places in every CITY in the country that I have visited that I would not walk by myself or with my husband by my side.

My sister was mugged in an area area of NYC that is usually OK - fortuatly they only took her watch, jewelry and Coach bag - but she was otherwise unharmed.
She still goes to NYC on weekends and when ever she wants.
So do I. Things happen in every CITY.

Do I know of a place that I would walk at 3AM and feel pretty safe?
Yes I do. Stony Brook NY where I moved from is pretty safe at any time of the day. I have gone to the 7-11 that was a block from my house and not felt afraid.
But Stony Brook is a wealthy suburb. A house similar to the one I bought in Wilkes Barre would cost about 450 thousand there and personel crime is vertually non existent.
Poverty and crime are linked and every CITY has pockets of poverty.

That does NOT mean that the whole city bites.
One just needs to use street smarts.

I have already decided that I will NOT be going to Red Box at Turkey Hill after dark.
But that is no huge inconvenience, and no reason to run screaming for the suburbs!

Old 10-29-2010, 04:17 PM

23,973 posts, read 32,296,294 times
You are not being eletist at all. I am aware that Dutch is a corruption of "Deutch."
I didn't name the lecture the historian did, and throughout it, she used the terms interchangebly, as if to underscore that fact. Only a couple of people in the audience required clarification.

Thanks for the link! Yes I am interested in the topic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania