U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 06:33 AM

3,233 posts, read 5,925,918 times

Advertisements

I see so many people using their cell phones while driving I'm afraid it's becoming a real problem. How many more accidents do you guys think are caused by people using cell phones while driving. I think a law in PA should be passed requiring people to use hands free devices while driving, just like in NY. I see these people using their phone while driving and they're clearly not paying attention to the task at hand. I had a few close calls myself with drivers while using cell phones. I use mine only for emergencies if I'm driving and only for a very brief time. I don't gab forever on my cell while driving, If I have to I pull over. Just like to hear other people's input on this subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 06:37 AM

470 posts, read 1,553,873 times
I hope a similar cell phone law to New York's does not pass, it's yet another government intrusion. It's the occupation of the mind that is a distraction, a hands free device doesn't eliminate that distraction.

While we're at, let's require headlights to be on while we use our windshield wipers, just like New York.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:41 AM

I agree we don't need more government intrusion, but some people, not all, cannot do more than one thing at a time. They get sidetracked easily and then it becomes unsafe.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:54 AM

470 posts, read 1,553,873 times
I agree about distractions, but look at the unlimited ways drivers can be distracted, making a law about cell phones doesn't begin to address all the other means not to pay attention to the road.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:00 AM

12 posts, read 33,417 times
I agree with you too, Suzer. But do these people really need to talk that much on a cell phone. Are their life's that important that they can't wait until they stop or get to where they're going. Yes, there will always be car accidents, but 20 years ago there were no cell phones and we got along just fine. I think the point is cell phone usage has gotten way out of hand and we rely on them too much.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:07 AM

12 posts, read 33,417 times
I see kids walking down the street talking away on cell phones and not paying attention to their surroundings. What if a mugger came up behind them or if there was an open manhole cover, they'd fall right in. I know the likelihood of that happening is slim. The point is, cell phones are another distraction in this society. Yeah, I own one, but I use it in moderation. It's just that people got along fine many years ago. If someone tried to reach you and you weren't home they would try again. I think a lot of people today have a need to constantly stay in touch with somebody.

Last edited by rmilford42; 07-08-2007 at 07:08 AM.. Reason: Deleted sentence

Old 07-08-2007, 07:12 AM

rmilford makes some very good points. In our society we don't know how to do anything in moderation. Suzer you are right. Drivers get distracted by many other things. Cell phones add to those distractions. I believe if you truly don't need to use it don't. You can gab all you want once you get to your destination.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:34 AM

390 posts, read 1,372,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzer View Post
While we're at, let's require headlights to be on while we use our windshield wipers, just like New York.
That already is the law in PA and has been for several months.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:40 AM

71,456 posts, read 71,629,249 times
worse than cells is eating while driving, putting makeup on while driving and looking at ones self in the rearview mirror while driving.

we really dont need the government protecting us from ourselves. all the one here in new york did is make everyone hold the phone in their right hand instead of the left while driving.

isnt this the same government that allows cigarettes as hundreds of thousands of people died from it while they banned artificial sweetners because a rat died.

Old 07-08-2007, 02:15 PM

43 posts, read 200,377 times
I am just trying to figure out what everyone did with themselves before cell-phones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania