Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 05:23 AM

18,754 posts, read 17,982,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DE_NePA View Post
I took a brand new set of glass doors off my inlaws fireplace last Christmas, when I installed the gas insert we got them. If you're in the market, way below retail...pm me.
DE_NePA,

I wanted to thank you for your offer. My fireplace opening is 50X25 inches. The only way I will get glass doors is to have them custom made. I actually just found a place that will do that for a fairly reasonable price. Have you tried the paper or Craig’s list?

nepadasiy,

(getting back on subject before TBT catches up) Have you tried the judicial tax sales? I know that you have to be careful and you have to check and double check nobody wants swamp or flood plane. I am surprised that it is so hard to find properties with so many foreclosures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 06:07 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,116,146 times
There is a farm house and farm for sale up the road from me ..

78 acres , Only $450 K

Old 11-11-2010, 11:15 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,168,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
My kids were born in Pocono Medical Center

They are Locals ..
You could have 5 generations born here and still not be considered a local by some.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:35 PM

23,880 posts, read 32,163,414 times
Sadly you are right Magritte. This closed minded attitude retards growth and scares off many a potential newcomer.

I think that these communities are heavily marketed to people in NY and NJ. One can pick them up in the supermarket anywhere in NY. Usually they are in the Poconos or Milford.

I think that attitude is changing though. And the remaining voices who are against progress and transplants are just shouting the loudest.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:47 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,190,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Sadly you are right Magritte. This closed minded attitude retards growth and scares off many a potential newcomer.

I think that these communities are heavily marketed to people in NY and NJ. One can pick them up in the supermarket anywhere in NY. Usually they are in the Poconos or Milford.

I think that attitude is changing though. And the remaining voices who are against progress and transplants are just shouting the loudest.
unless someone is a native american aren't we all transplants?

Old 11-11-2010, 04:14 PM

18,754 posts, read 17,982,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrplr1 View Post
unless someone is a native american aren't we all transplants?
I just wanted to say this on this us compared to them thing: Yes; many locals do not accept out of towners. However; many city slickers do not accept locals. I have good neighbors and I have bad neighbors - most came from the city. I try to make friends with them. To some; I will always be the hick in the sticks. What I am saying is that there are some transplants that will not even try to get to know us.

I try to give everybody a chance. I am also aware that the “city slickers” would not be here if they did not have the money. When it comes time for us locals to sell; top dollar buys (that usually is not local money).

Getting back to Communities; it gets harder for small land owners to subdivide. They (zoning) continue to change the regulations. Also many of the people, that are looking to buy, want the whole package -security, recreation, sports, relaxation, etc.
The biggest problem is that security doesn’t necessarily make you secure.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:44 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,583,014 times
There are properties without communities in the NEPA area of Snydersville, Sciota, Saylorsburg and Kunkletown. That general area of the Poconos.
A realtor should be able to show you places " out of a community"........Just make sure to tell them what your wishes.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:38 PM

23,880 posts, read 32,163,414 times
Yes we are all transplants pkrpl1, that is exactly my point!

Old 11-11-2010, 11:43 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,801,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Well lets look at it from the perspective of the people that lived there especially the older generation that lived in what was once rural areas. This influx has caused increased taxes, increased crime, increased traffic and other problems. There is no benefit to people that just want to live a simple life.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:36 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,168,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Well lets look at it from the perspective of the people that lived there especially the older generation that lived in what was once rural areas. This influx has caused increased taxes, increased crime, increased traffic and other problems. There is no benefit to people that just want to live a simple life.
Oh well. Life changes every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania