U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 07:04 PM

24 posts, read 57,463 times
Default hospitals

I've been going to the Hideout since I was a kid. My parents now have a house up there and my sister and her husband and kids moved there permanently last summer. It's changed a lot over the years but all for the better! You're right about the summers - it does get pretty busy on the weekends...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 07:18 PM

3,234 posts, read 4,283,743 times
Excellent. Then you know all about it. It has changed over the years, then again I haven't actually been there in about a year now, so I really don't know what it is like right now. But if you say it's better, than I believe you.

Last edited by NYRangers 2008; 07-09-2007 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-11-2007, 02:22 PM

910 posts, read 1,986,594 times
Default hospitals

I have a friend that works at wayne memorial she loves it. Before that she worked at pocono mountain. said the money was much better but it was much more 'city like' . Guess it depends what kind of feel you're looking for, hometown or city-ish. Good luck!

Old 07-12-2007, 10:52 PM

59 posts, read 178,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuturePAMover View Post
Thanks NYRanger - do you know which hospitals have the better reputations?

Here is a list of all the hospitals within a 40 mile radius:

Mid Valley Hospital - Peckville 13.3 miles
Moses Taylor Hospital - Scranton 14.3 miles
Mercy Hospital - Scranton - 14.3 miles
Marian Community Hospital - Carbondale - 14.5 miles
Community Medical Center (CMC) - Scranton - 14.6 miles
Wayne Memorial Hospital - Honesdale - 16.4 miles (it doesn't seem that far)
Wyoming Valley Health Care - Wilkes Barre - 33.1 miles
Tyler Memorial Hospital - Tunkhannock - 35 miles
Pocono Medical Center - E. Stroudsburg - 39.4 miles
Bon Secours Community Hospital - Port Jervis, NY - 39.8 miles

Although I gotta say, I don't see how Peckville is closer than Honesdale or Carbondale. Maybe it's because I know all the short-cut back roads...lol

There is also a senior citizen home in Honesdale Ellen Memorial Health Care Center who seems to be always hiring RN's.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,910 times
Default Moving To The Hideout

My wife & I plan to buy in The Hideout in the new year. We would have already had a home there but after we had our "Dream House" inspected it turned out that there were fire hazards.

Although you have family living there, get your house inspected. The people we were planning to buy the house from had rented it for 2 or 3 years before they bought it. They didn't bother with a home inspection since they lived there happly. As it happens, the previous owners installed a wood burning stove and its "Flue & Chase System" ran directly along timbers that were showing signs of scorching. The inspector told us that the house was a fire waiting to happen.

Although we were VERY sorry that the sellers didn't give us the chance to get esitmates for repair (they wanted us to take it 'as is) we are NOT sorry that we hired the inspector.

Good Luck - I hope my wife & I see you around the pool next year.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:28 PM

3,756 posts, read 5,746,268 times
I hear that Wayne Memorial is very good from many people. Anyone with experience care to comment??

Old 11-07-2007, 01:42 PM

I've had both of my kids and a major surgery at wayne memorial. all with the same dr and no complications. the nurses are amazing and i lived to tell the tale!

Old 11-07-2007, 02:27 PM

253 posts, read 655,803 times
Default Wayne Memorial

I hate to say but I am aware of 2 people that have had bad experiences with Wayne Memorial. I don't want to comment further as I suspect that a lawsuit is probably lurking as a result. In any case, of the 2 people who've had to go there for serious care, I can't speak highly of the hospital. I'm hoping for the sake of the community that both cases were unusual, and that overall they are a good hospital, so I would just say to do your homework and investigate beforehand if you are in a position to have a choice in healthcare.

I was shocked over the last 2 years at the state of healthcare in general in NEPA. I say this as I sit in hospital waiting room in NJ right now, as my husband had same day surgery today. (All should be OK). Two years ago, my mother (located in Hamlin) had to have a simple bladder surgery and couldn't get anyone in Scranton to treat her. I almost had her convinced to come to NJ to have the surgery and had a doctor all lined up for her, but she didn't want to be that far from home. She ended up having to go to a Women's hospital in Allentown (not once, but twice) to have surgery. I will admit they were great there, but I again, was shocked that no one in Scranton could perform this for her.

Both my parents are elderly, and with the exception of my mom's 2 surgeries, we've been pleased with the health care in CMC and Mercy in Scranton. I'm concerned for us, as it seems as though my husband is having some increasing problems, and I know if we could avoid it we would not go to Wayne Memorial. As I said, do your homework if you have a choice, as everyone needs to feel comfortable with their healthcare, and I'm hoping that the experiences that I'm aware of are not indicative of the hospital as a whole.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:33 PM

Perhaps I should have written a bit more. I personally had no issues, but do know of others who have. Also before I had my surgery I went through 2 doctors there that were both jerks(I would love to use a stronger word but wont!) and if I hadnt kept pushing I would have been in awful shape. I stuck with a dr I already knew and he is from NY and practices here now. For anything major for us, the kids, or my dad who lives here we go straight back to NY. So I hope I didnt make the hospital sound like rainbows and sunshine. Then again hospitals are very large and I"m sure they all have their problems, it just matters how many and how large scale they are. Research, research, research
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania