U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 10:49 AM

5 posts, read 7,635 times

Advertisements

Mu husband and I are moving from Connecticut, where we are recognized as full-fledged citizens, to the NEPA area because of his work.
I have seen many posts but since I am charged with finding a place to live I am not sure I understand the real geography of the area. It seems like google maps may not take into account mountains when figuring out commute times.
I do NOT want to live on top of a mountain, I do NOT want to live in BFE, either. I can't live in some subdivision that doesn't allow fencing. I do have quite a few dogs, all retired show dogs that need a nice place to live out their days.
I also need to be near a nice equestrian center that can handle training for my 3 horses.
I know it is a lot, but just how far is Allentown to downtown Scranton, and would it be a horrible commute? His current commute is 3 hours each way into and out of NYC...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 11:38 AM

2,992 posts, read 2,487,652 times
Let's see, you wouldn't like to live in a subdivision or be way out in the stix or on a mountain top and you must be near an equestrian center. I'd suggest somewhere in the Lehigh Valley. That area is flat to rolling and just about equidistant from Scranton, NYC, and Philly. Plenty of homes there with a few acres of land and no Marcellus Shale underneath to jack up the price. Good luck.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:37 PM

1,313 posts, read 2,027,577 times
I can't live in some subdivision that doesn't allow fencing. I do have quite a few dogs, all retired show dogs that need a nice place to live out their days. - Then look into buying your own home that has at least an 5 acres or more...that way they have room to roam around along with the horses you mention...

I know it is a lot, but just how far is Allentown to downtown Scranton, and would it be a horrible commute? His current commute is 3 hours each way into and out of NYC - A commute from Allentown to Scranton or the other way around is way too far...and during winter even worse...during winter PENNDOT isn't usually quick to plow roads and if your on tertiary roads or worse don't count on the township to be out there anytime soon...so choose wisely and plan on having to plow your way out most of the time...I live in Saylorsburg which is sort of in between Scranton and Allentown...there are some equestrian centers in the area...you don't specify which way is the commute...Scranton to Allentown or Allentown to Scranton...but either way, as I said above, during winter it can be a hassle...any other questions just drop another note here and we'll try to help as much as we can...

Old 12-17-2010, 12:07 AM

996 posts, read 787,475 times
Lehigh Valley to Scranton commute = 1.5 hr commute each way (anyone's guess in bad winter winter weather). The turnpike is the best route, but can be sketchy in bad weather too (plus the tolls add up).

As far as the dogs, you need a big yard.

As far as the horses - a horse training/boarding facility with it's own track was recently built in White Haven near the intersection of Rte 940 and State Route 2055. (It is so new it does not yet appear on Google Earth Satellite View).

I am not sure if the facility caters to professional race horse community or lay folk, but it looks like a top-notch setup. (I'm sure if you have the money - they'll take it). There are two more businesses in White Haven that cater to horse people too.

I don't know the name of the place, but if you are serious about inquiry, PM me and I can provide you a name that will provide contact info.

White Haven is considered "mountainous", but the commute to Scranton will cut 70 miles off a way one commute from the LV. Route to Scranton = Pa turnpike/I81 combo.

There are homes with land available in the immediate area without fence restrictions.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:18 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,219,243 times
Where exactly is your husbands job? that would help answer your question much easier..

Old 12-17-2010, 10:35 AM

5 posts, read 7,635 times
His new job will be on Penn Ave. in Scranton.
I do know that buying is the best option, but quite frankly, I have looked at home values in Northeast Pennsylvania, and whereas it looks like a great idea to buy because homes are cheap, the housing values are going to go anywhere anytime soon since there are so many foreclosures just coming on the market, and quite frankly, the income levels will not support the values since most of the houses were built during the housing boom and the "house of cards" mortgage debacle. So, as afraid I am of moving to PA where we will not be recognized as spouses, I am even more afraid of buying a house there, especially since I am keeping my house in Connecticut.
My ideal situation would be able to find a property that is for sale that would let me rent the house a for a year with the option to either buy or renew.
I know I am asking for a lot, especially since I don't want to spend more than $1800 a month on rent.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:20 PM

you can get a very nice home here for 75 to 100 grand.. is far as stables they are abundant within 15 minutes of the city.. Newton/Ransom, Mt. Cobb, Hamlin.. etc right now a 100 grand mgt is appx 500 bucks a month... there is a racetrack 15 minutes from Scranton...Pocono Downs...

Old 12-17-2010, 01:22 PM

I know I am asking for a lot, especially since I don't want to spend more than $1800 a month on rent. - then your limiting your choices....

Old 12-17-2010, 03:40 PM

Hope that was tongue in cheek Dave, 1800 rents a whole lot of sq. footage anywhere in this area for that money they can live wherever they want, and if they have that much liquid and are planning on staying a few years they are better off buying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
I know I am asking for a lot, especially since I don't want to spend more than $1800 a month on rent. - then your limiting your choices....

Old 12-17-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
Hope that was tongue in cheek Dave,
I didn't mean the money part...I meant their other needs/requests...I know $1800 can go a long way here in NEPA but they need to be more open-minded...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania